• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 4x4 ranger first pick-up project

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I finally got my license! yay I can drive alone now to the problem I have yet to determine, I tried to get the ranger back home but not even out in the street I stall( obviously am a noob) and doesn't want to start all lights go out but 3 on the dash that stay on even with the key out of the ignition. I had to disconnect the negative from the batterie so that I could restart and go park it back. now I'm lost on what/where to look for the problem which I'm partly guessing might be the ignition switch

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Take your steering cover off and see if the Ignition Switch is seperating . they are a known issue

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you haven't already I would put new bulbs in everything I could reach, if you haven't already.
If they are not all working you could be missing the most important warnings

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Take your steering cover off and see if the Ignition Switch is seperating . they are a known issue
thank you, will check that for sure

If you haven't already I would put new bulbs in everything I could reach, if you haven't already.
If they are not all working you could be missing the most important warnings
already done pretty much one of the first thing I did, all the lights in the dash changed to led lights, same for DRL and sidemarkers

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Turns out the issue was the negative connection from the battery to the body/motor ground and a wire in the loom that was barely connected. Now that this is fixed another problem came up the fuel pump is about to die right when it’s getting to freezing temperature. Almost feels like a game of “whats gonna break next!?” Can’t wait for winter to get regular or just stop lol

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
image_50446593.JPG
image_50432001.JPG

disassembly didn't pass the Catspection:cry:

Opportunity finally came to drive it back home but god was it a painful ride, idles just fine rev's up just fine when not driving but after like 10 minutes of driving it sputters feels and sounds like it's running on 4 cylinders and black smoke out the exhaust, changed the idle air control valve and manifold air pressure sensor still the same problem.

so I started to tear the intake manifold cleaned the throttle body seemed good accel cable sticks tho so that's one thing, noticed that all the plugs for the injectors are one way or another broken so that could not really help with my problem. Also injectors can somewhat turn freely, not really sure if that's normal or not..

I can't figure out what I really want to do with it thought I want to either 4bt swap it with a 4"+lift , 2.3L keep current setup(prob the easiest swap lift the 2.9 out put the 2.3 in) or 7.3powerstroke with shortened dually axle and slam it to the ground. I wanna do them all, that's tough.
found a 2.3L from a 87 ranger in a scrap yard so that'll probably be my first option.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If it takes a few minutes of running then has black smoke that's screaming O2 sensor to me

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it takes a few minutes of running then has black smoke that's screaming O2 sensor to me
No black smoke until I do like 2 km and stops if I park for a min or 2 or if I hit the rpm’s it’ll run like normal.

Today I changed the TFI cleaned the intake manifold looked if the distributor was bad, it’s very clean barely have 100km on it. Everything is back together so I’ll go ahead and drive it around the block

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals