• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ford 4x4 2.9L (Ranger)

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ah well i plugged it back in and the speedometer still does not work..after i eat i guess i will go outside and pull the bolt out and have a look. Might be stuck up in there or something. :\ I mean it was working when i got the truck..so god knows what happened between then and now, all we can do is take it apart and i hope i don't fk something else up in the process.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To test it, you can hook a drill to the trans end of the cable and run it. If the speedo works you need a new drive gear.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
To test it, you can hook a drill to the trans end of the cable and run it. If the speedo works you need a new drive gear.
Alright i will try that man... So i unplug the cable which is the one i showed above, it goes into the trans, and stick a drill in it? Do i use a bit or something, because there is nothing to attach to on the cable..

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Alright so i went out and unplugged the cable from the transmission, but the cable inside was to far in and i couldn't get it out to hook a drill to it, so that makes me think that the cable is broken, and as far as a gear on the transmission that is held in by 1 bolt, all i did was take a bolt off and pull what i guess holds the cable up to the transmission, because nothing but this small tab came off. So if someone has pics of theres i'd appreciate it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, it does sound like the cable is bad.

I'd get a pic of the gear that is supposed to come out, but I don't have my camera with me. I'll take one with my phone if I can find the gear in my dad's garage, but it will be tomorrow night before I can post it.

As for what is supposed to come out of there, there should be a gear, but I can't get mine out of my new t-case. My old one came out with the cable.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
This is what the gear looks like. It comes in various colors indicating the number of teeth on it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, ^^ that's what it looks like. Thanks ds.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Alright let me run outside and get a video on this to show what i mean, and show exactly what i take apart so that i can get some better help. Because i seen that nowhere in sight.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
This is behind

this.
Alright well there is no visable place on my truck to take that out of there. Since i am uploading a video at the moment you will see, when i remove the bolt shown in the picture, all that comes out is the little tab or whatever it is that holds the cable up to the transmission and even it isn't doing a good job. Video will be done in 20 minutes. Youtube takes a long time to load lol.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh, I don't need the vid to know exactly what you are talking about. I've been through it twice this year already. I think they've corroded into place because according to the shop manual it should just fall out.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Haha well i cleaned it off and so far nothing has "fell" out but god knows. To bad you don't live close enough to come help lol! But even so the video will be done in 10 minutes. I'll upload it, you can have a looked and see and then let me know what to do and tomorrow i shall do it, as it's getting late here.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm really not sure what to do with it. I'd say put an extractor in it and try to break it free, but I haven't found replacement parts yet.

When I put my truck down for the engine swap I'm going to crack the t-case open and see what I can see then. That's gonna be at least next year though.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Guess i will be running without a speedometer then because i don't have any of the stuff to use to extract anything let alone anything transmission wise. Just take it to ford and see if their able to fix it. Guess i will give them a call monday morning...i know i won't like their price.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals