• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ford 4x4 2.9L (Ranger)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
yeah, prolly not.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a trip to the bone yard take your wrench and a pair of pliers to remove the cable from the speedometer and the tranny and switch the whole thing is all I can think of. Maybe pull yours all the way out first so you know what tools to bring with you.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a trip to the bone yard take your wrench and a pair of pliers to remove the cable from the speedometer and the tranny and switch the whole thing is all I can think of. Maybe pull yours all the way out first so you know what tools to bring with you.
It'd be that simple except i don't have the money to switch transmissions. So for all those who have suggested that, feel free to donate some cash and i'd be more then glad to get a new transmission. :) But otherwise i have to do what i can until i find more work.

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
It'd be that simple except i don't have the money to switch transmissions. So for all those who have suggested that, feel free to donate some cash and i'd be more then glad to get a new transmission. :) But otherwise i have to do what i can until i find more work.
I think he meant to pinch the speedo cable components (drive gear and cable) from a wrecker truck and put them in yours, not take the whole transmission...

Cheers
Dave

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I think he meant to pinch the speedo cable components (drive gear and cable) from a wrecker truck and put them in yours, not take the whole transmission...

Cheers
Dave
If thats the case i could understand doing it, but i didn't know if he had seen the previous thread i posted about the shifter on the current transmission has play in it. In that thread i had stated i had no money to get a new trans or i would have done so. But either way, our places around here don't have rangers believe it or not, got to go 50 miles away to the pick n pull. Which i might do as soon as i get a dang tag and title.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the parts that you are interested in would be in the transfer case anyway.

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If thats the case i could understand doing it, but i didn't know if he had seen the previous thread i posted about the shifter on the current transmission has play in it. In that thread i had stated i had no money to get a new trans or i would have done so. But either way, our places around here don't have rangers believe it or not, got to go 50 miles away to the pick n pull. Which i might do as soon as i get a dang tag and title.
I can guarantee you that this is the place to be if you are looking for tips on economic repairs as many are finacially in the same shoes or just have fun finding inventive ways around a standard fix...

It is a bit of a bugger that you have to drive so far but it is somewhat of the same deal here as there are surprisingly few Rangers in the wreckers around here. (Vancouver, BC)

good point, speedo in the t-case is correct, didn't notice that error... (dave slaps self on forehead)

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I do appreciate the help mates. But to be honest how hard/pita is it to install a new t-case? Plus what if they don't have a 89 4x4 like mine? Might another year t-case fit and not cause problems?

50 miles is indeed a bit of a hassle to drive for cheap parts, but then again we have to do what we have to do. As they teach in the army when you get hurt, suck it up and keep going. As long as the truck drives good i dont mind driving to tally, its getting the gas that i have a problem with and then on top of that the money to get the part. But when my cousin gave it to me, he drove it 100 miles to get it to me, so i know it runs good. Just has a oil leak which makes it need oil once a month, other then that mechanicly it's sound. Just a few minor problems here and there. But the thing i won't like is the traffic i will have to deal with and that will be a pita due to the shifter being funky. Still getting used to it having all that play in it.

But thanks, should be getting some money next week, get a tag and title on it and some gas, i will go to the pick n pull if i have extra and get the part.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Almost all Ranger t-cases are pretty interchangeable. Electric to manual is a bit trickier, but thats not at issue here.

Swapping one isn't that hard either. About 10 bolts all told, slide on, slide off. The worst part is getting it up and then getting it splined to the trans output.

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I do appreciate the help mates. But to be honest how hard/pita is it to install a new t-case? Plus what if they don't have a 89 4x4 like mine? Might another year t-case fit and not cause problems?

50 miles is indeed a bit of a hassle to drive for cheap parts, but then again we have to do what we have to do. As they teach in the army when you get hurt, suck it up and keep going. As long as the truck drives good i dont mind driving to tally, its getting the gas that i have a problem with and then on top of that the money to get the part. But when my cousin gave it to me, he drove it 100 miles to get it to me, so i know it runs good. Just has a oil leak which makes it need oil once a month, other then that mechanicly it's sound. Just a few minor problems here and there. But the thing i won't like is the traffic i will have to deal with and that will be a pita due to the shifter being funky. Still getting used to it having all that play in it.

But thanks, should be getting some money next week, get a tag and title on it and some gas, i will go to the pick n pull if i have extra and get the part.
For compatability I will leave it up to one of the experts here on the site.

But I dropped my t-case for my trans rebuild last year, and if I remember correctly it took about 1.5 hours due to rust and lack of air tools. You just need a 12 point 12mm socket, a breaker bar, and in my case a father (could be replaced with air tools, or a huge ass breaker bar)

pull the rear drive shaft and front drive shaft off, pull the crossmember and mounts with t-case braced, slide and drop it. I used a floor jack to hold it as they weigh about 80lbs which you do not want on your face or chest.

For the oil leak check the oil pan as our rangers have an issue that can be solved with a '93 2.3 Gasket if my memory serves. Valve cover gaskets do it too (mine leak like a spounge but it is hard to find dry weather theses day to work on it in the driveway so the new gaskets just sit there taunting me...)

Cheers
Dave

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
For compatability I will leave it up to one of the experts here on the site.

But I dropped my t-case for my trans rebuild last year, and if I remember correctly it took about 1.5 hours due to rust and lack of air tools. You just need a 12 point 12mm socket, a breaker bar, and in my case a father (could be replaced with air tools, or a huge ass breaker bar)

pull the rear drive shaft and front drive shaft off, pull the crossmember and mounts with t-case braced, slide and drop it. I used a floor jack to hold it as they weigh about 80lbs which you do not want on your face or chest.

For the oil leak check the oil pan as our rangers have an issue that can be solved with a '93 2.3 Gasket if my memory serves. Valve cover gaskets do it too (mine leak like a spounge but it is hard to find dry weather theses day to work on it in the driveway so the new gaskets just sit there taunting me...)

Cheers
Dave
Dave's new gaskets "So dave, when do we go in? Huh huh huh? Nice weather yet? Nope, aww to bad." Lol.

For the father part...don't have one, never had one. All i ever had was a sperm donor tbh. So i guess a breaker bar will do since i have no airtools. I can lift 200+ with my legs so one good pry from my legs and that should break lose whatever is holding. It's how i've worked on most vehicles, if my arms fail i got legs. I'm small enough to get up in those small places. Guess thats why i prefer medium women. >_>

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals