• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ranger XLT will not start....DPFE

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok. Looking to do a follow up question. Once I unplugged and re-plugged the cam shaft sensor the truck started great!!!

The 4 Codes all went away......

P0122 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P1120 Throttle Position Sensor out of range
P1401 Diff Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit High Input

However, I got a new code. p1400-(Seems to be some kind of EGR code not specific).

So, I swapped my other DPFE out to see if that helped with the p1400 Code. The p1400 code went away..and the p1401 code re-appeared. P1401 Diff Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit High Input.

*Also, the two hoses to the DPFE, can they be switched around at all? I tried both each way and same issue. Was not sure I put them on right so tried both sides. Truck starts either way but not sure if they are specific to Left or Right side for hoses. Or if I can casue damage if they are wrong.

I am trying to get my truck smoged and no go....I tried to remove and re click the DPFE electrical sensor. No go.

Any advice how to get the check engine light off so I can SMOG from here would be appreciated.

Thanks
SRD

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
None of the codes should cause a No Start
Yes and no…. Not the problem here, but while the codes themselves won’t keep the engine from starting, if the ECU thinks the throttle body is out of range or wide open, it may not start due to the flood clear feature built in (when you floor it while trying to start, it disables injectors)

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
do not use starter fluid to, ah, amplify, the spark
I did that once with a lawn mower… kept spraying starter fluid in the intake, tried to start, kept spraying, crank, nothing. Thought about it for a few minutes. Removed spark plug to check for spark. Cranked over with spark plug out and resting against crankcase…. BANG!

I neglected to remember I had just sprayed a bunch of highly flammable volatile liquid into the intake, and it didn’t burn. In the few minutes I had pondered my issue, it had vaporized and mixed with the air around the engine, so that when I tried to start it again it exploded. Thankfully I wasn’t hurt, in fact there was no visual indication of the explosion. But my ears rung for a few days after it!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Ok. Looking to do a follow up question. Once I unplugged and re-plugged the cam shaft sensor the truck started great!!!

The 4 Codes all went away......

P0122 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P1120 Throttle Position Sensor out of range
P1401 Diff Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit High Input

However, I got a new code. p1400-(Seems to be some kind of EGR code not specific).

So, I swapped my other DPFE out to see if that helped with the p1400 Code. The p1400 code went away..and the p1401 code re-appeared. P1401 Diff Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit High Input.

*Also, the two hoses to the DPFE, can they be switched around at all? I tried both each way and same issue. Was not sure I put them on right so tried both sides. Truck starts either way but not sure if they are specific to Left or Right side for hoses. Or if I can casue damage if they are wrong.

I am trying to get my truck smoged and no go....I tried to remove and re click the DPFE electrical sensor. No go.

Any advice how to get the check engine light off so I can SMOG from here would be appreciated.

Thanks
SRD
DPFE = Differential Pressure Feedback Egr
since it's looking for a difference between the 2 lines it probably makes a big difference which way the pressure is going.

move to northwest Ohio, we don't have any smogs or inspections here.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok. I checked the 2 hoses to the DPFE and made sure they were correct. I would have never noticed the difference in size my eyesight up close is very poor... but I did have them on correct.

*Now I have one code only: P1401 Diff Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit High Input

*Any idea as to a next step to eliminate the code so I can smog?

*Is there a dontation tab here for this site?...I get such good advice here I would donate if able.

bills4065

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My DPFE sensor voltage is .99 volts KOEO. Check your DPFE sensor voltage key on engine off. It should be greater than .5 volts. If it is considerably less than .5 volts, you probably have a bad dpfe sensor, or a wiring problem. I would check 5 volt reference and sensor ground also.

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello. Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I read the article and Post #4. Since I am not a real mechanic I am checking if I am on the right path in my understanding.

Thanks, Ron D. "Read this thread Post#4" https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/p1401-code-wont-go-away.162440/

From what I take away from the reading I am under the suspicion that I should consider cutting off the "Pigtail Connectors?" and putting in new ones for the DPFE and CAM Sensor plugs. The connectors are worn-out internally somehow and new ones might fix the issue?

Issue: P1401 Diff Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit High Input

I am thinking of getting new Pigtail Connectors for the Cam sensors and DPFE and splicing them in to see if that helps next.....

Such Awesome Advice on here!.....if I am off base in my interpretations let me know....

Thanks.

SRD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals