• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 ranger 3.0 charging issue

770 raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced battery and alternator, across the terminal posts still only reading 12.4-12.6 volts. Unsure if alternator is bad right out of the box. Could really use some help as I need my vehicle to get to work tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas what else it could be?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a fuse, usually in the power box under the hood.

Could be labelled Generator or Alt Sys, 15amp to 35amp

This circuit turns the Alternator on, alternators must be shut off or they will drain the battery, so they need to be turned on when engine starts, then turn off when engine is off.

770 raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any idea where its located in the fuse box? All the diagrams I can find dont accurately show the fuse layout. I did continuity checks on all the blade type fuses and all checked sat both under the hood and inside the cab.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then I would test if alternator's B+ is connected to battery.
B+ is the bigger wire on the stud/nut, use volt meter with key off and see if that wire has 12.4-.6volts
If no volts then follow that wire and you should come to a "fusable link" this is usually a grey or black square, test each side of it like you would a fuse.

Then there should be 3 wires in one connector on the alternator, with key on engine off 1 of those wires should have 12volts, green with red strip was the color used for years, this turns on the alternator, so 12v should go away when key is off.
This 12v comes from the battery light and/or Voltage gauge on the dashboard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals