• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 Ranger STX "Street" Project

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, rear sway bar is an HUGE improvement in handling. My truck outruns build hondas and make em loose control trying to follow me in curves.. I have the expo 8.8 one. I think the bII is a lil beefier but not sure.

Congrats on the TOTM Twanskta!

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you Sir!! I'm a little slow.. lol It's from all the Ranger fumes!!
We all have our moments. :icon_cheers:

Goooooooooooood looking truck.........when do you get your Banner above your avatar :yahoo:
Thanks, got it this weekend! :icon_thumby:

Yeah, rear sway bar is an HUGE improvement in handling. My truck outruns build hondas and make em loose control trying to follow me in curves.. I have the expo 8.8 one. I think the bII is a lil beefier but not sure.

Congrats on the TOTM Twanskta!
Thanks man, the BII sway bar is definitely my favorite upgrade so far. Everything you read on these forums is true, it will change the ride of your truck SIGNIFICANTLY, and in a good way.

I wish we had some good twisty roads where I live, back in Tampa there was some awesome roads, I used to leave everyone going through them. The truck would be right up there just from the feel of it now, just need to take care of the powerplant now. :icon_welder:

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Congrats on the TOTM win.. You have a very deserving truck!!

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Congrats on the TOTM win.. You have a very deserving truck!!
Thanks, good luck on October TOTM!

Now we can have a real discussion:headbang: Any plans yet?
Lets just say it wont be a Ranger engine and it will be boosted :icon_thumby:. Its going to be a while though, in the middle or purchasing a home right now, so have to wait for things to settle down.

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Might be picking this up Sunday! :crosses fingers:

Pioner AVIC-F90BT -
Premier In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback and Built-In Bluetooth W/ back-up cam and Ipod connector.

Last edited:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Get it get it GET IT!!!

SOO MUCH tuning can be done with one of these bad boys.

And congrats on TOTM.

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
FORD RANGER PIONEER AVIC F90BT INSTALL

I started by purchasing the following items, ended up being about $25 shipped. After a few days of research of viewing other members installs, the American International seemed like the best kit, with the best fit and finish. I believe its the only one that allows for a "flush" mount installation out of the three major kits (AI, Metra, Scosche).

Parts Need For Double Din / Navigation Installation:
American International FM-K552 Dash Kit - Double Din Dash Kit

Metra 70-1771 Wiring Harness - To Connect your factory 98-up Ranger harness to the Pioneer harness.

Scosche DIN Factory Radio Removal Tool - Not necessary, but recommended to remove factory radio.

Pioneer F90BT w/ Back-Up Camera & iPod Cable

Finished my install last night, everything went real smooth!

Stock Double DIN MP3 Radio

I used the Metra radio removal tools to get my stock unit out. These arent necessary, but they sure made is VERY easy!

Stock Radio Removed from Bezel

You have to do some trimming to the bezel for most aftermarket double DINs to fit. Simply remove the two screws shown, and the whole thing pops out pretty easily. I found it easier to pull from the top near the AC vents.

To fit the new head unit, you will need to trim the top and bottom ridges as shown below. DO NOT trim the vertical sides of the bezel opening, the dash kit uses these to clip in.

I was extra precautious, so I used 3m tape to protect the surround from getting scratched or gouged by the dremel.

After using a dremel tool, this is the finished product and what yours should look like before you can install the new head unit.

The American International Dash Kit was very straight forward. Just attach the two side pieces to the unit with the supplied screws. Then slide it into the bezel until it "clicks" into place. You have some adjustability with this kit, I preferred the "flush" look. Once you get the desired look, tighten everything down and snap the trim surround piece over the front and your done!

Then you will need to take the supplied head unit harness and match it up with the Metra harness made for your vehicle. At this time, I hardwired the video "bypass" so I could have full functions while driving also.
For the Pioneer "F" Series, you just need to move the mute wire pin in the harness, and then ground it with the green wire. I used the following diagram to bypass my Pionner unit.
AVIC "F" Series Bypass (Picture Guide) - CLICK HERE

*Before you put everything back in the truck, you will need to run the GPS Antenna, Bluetooth Mic, Reverse Camera, iPod hookups, etc.

I did not want to run any wires outside of the truck(nor put the magnet on my paint), so I decided to mount the GPS antenna on the dash near the defrost vents. The black defrost trim simply snaps up and then you can feed the wire through the dash to the head unit. I am very happy with the location and on the way home and even in my garage I had full GPS signal.

Next I ran the Bluetooth Mic up to the sun visor. I removed the visor to run the wire through the headliner, then down the A-pillar(behind the trim), through the defrost trim just like the GPS and finally through the dash to the head unit. You cant any wires at all except where it comes out in the visor.

I got my head unit used and it was missing the mic clip, so I just let the visor hold it for now.

Next I ran the iPod hookups to the glove box.

I then plugged in all the wires and re-installed the bezel. Here is the finished product!

I added a little custom touch to the start up screen to give it a little more "OEM" feel.. This is the loading screen in all the new Ford vehicles with "Sync". :D

You can also adjust the illumination of the head unit to match the rest of your factory controls and cluster. So I made mine green to match the rest of my displays.

Playing through the iPod with full control from the head unit.

And GPS.

Last edited:

OREGANO_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Sweet ranger keep up the good work bro...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So do they make that in a single DIN version?

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you referring to the dash kit or the radio?

Sent from my computer phone.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You didn't really need the keys... two bolts right above the A/C controls and the whole bezel snaps right off. Then you can just push the whole radio out. The keys are a good selling feature if you want to sell your factory radio, which has an unusually high demand.

If you had to rewire everything back there doing it this way makes life so much easier. But since you have the harness you're basically set.

4.6StangRage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
DUDE! Sweet Ranger! I cant wait until i can stop hauling scrap metal with mine so i can actually make it nice. I like the bed, I was thinking of going the same route on my '93 single cab. Congrats for getting STOTM!!!!!!!!!

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You didn't really need the keys... two bolts right above the A/C controls and the whole bezel snaps right off. Then you can just push the whole radio out. The keys are a good selling feature if you want to sell your factory radio, which has an unusually high demand.

If you had to rewire everything back there doing it this way makes life so much easier. But since you have the harness you're basically set.
Yeah, they were only a couple bucks, so I just decided to pick them up anyway. Ill have to remove the entire bezel anyways because you have to trim it a little to fit the double DIN.

Last edited:

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
DUDE! Sweet Ranger! I cant wait until i can stop hauling scrap metal with mine so i can actually make it nice. I like the bed, I was thinking of going the same route on my '93 single cab. Congrats for getting STOTM!!!!!!!!!
Thanks man! Ive seen a couple single cab STX rangers, they look good! I love the mazda bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals