• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 4.0 mustang v6 swap into an 07 ranger

rojizostang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New member....I searched a little, and didn't really find anything very specific to my question(s)

I have the chance to pick up a 2007 model mustang v6 and manual transmission complete with ecu, radiator, driveshaft and a few other odds and ends for $600. This motor has just under 40k on it.

Currently my truck has the little 2.3l motor and standard 5 speed tranny. How difficult would it be to swap the mustang motor into my truck?

Should I use the mustang tranny or retain the current tranny? would there be any advantage one way or the other?

What would be involved in retaining all the current functions regarding the speedo/gauges/pcm and anything else I haven't thought of?

Should I just buy a different truck instead? I like the truck i have, reg cab swb.....but I'm not aware of this combo with a 4.0 motor. (but i'm probably wrong)

Lots of noob questions i know, but hopefully i can found out some info quick enough to either purchase the available motor or ditch this idea....

or...go with a v8 swap instead?

Thanks in advance

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Roji, welcome to TRS!

You are indeed wrong about the regular cab having the 4.0. There are a few out there.

I belive that you'd be better off swapping in the MUstang trans because it was desinged to handle the power.

If I recall (and I might be off) the Mustang 4.0 and the Ranger 4.0 are the same, except the 'Stang version was tuned for more power and less torque.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I'm not sure on the differences with sensors and such, but you will be further ahead IMHO if you use a ranger wiring harness and ECU, you will need the 4.0 ranger engine mounts as well. If the mustang uses the M5OD you may need to swap shifters and such but it should bolt into the truck if that's what it is. It's going to be a project any way you look at it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mustang doesn't use the M5OD. It uses the T5OD. That's a Tremec trans, not a Mazda. The shifter is very different, and I believe the mount and the output shaft spline count are different.

That isn't a horrible swap, but I'd look for an M5OD to put in your truck instead of that T5. They aren't bad transmissions, its just a lot more work than you'd need to do.

I'd go for it. +1 on finding a Ranger engine harness.

The upper intake on the engine is different, but aside from that I think the Mustang and Ranger engines are very very similar. From what I've seen below the upper intake the differences are negligible if any.

rojizostang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this is my dd so whatever i do with it it can't sit around for a while. it needs to be a pretty straight forward swap that can be done in a hurry.

i assume i would be better off looking for something that came out of another ranger or perhaps a sport trac or explorer? i mean as far as the pcm and the tranny/electronics/sensors are concerned then?

i'd probably be better off looking for a sport trac

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, if you grab an M5OD, anything from 98 up will work. As for the engine harness and computer, yeah, sport trac or ranger. I'd be careful with the PCM though. I'd be looking for one from a manual trans vehicle.

rojizostang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like it's going to get pretty involved. not that i'm afraid of a little involvement, but i save most of my mod money for the mustang.

i would obviously be better off sourcing a like vehicle for a donor

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One more thing, if you're ranger came with a 4 banger, it has the smaller rear end- they put the 8.8 (I think thats what it is) in all 4.0 trucks to handle the xtra torque. You could possibly torch the rear in the long run. Might be simpler to swap trucks...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could possibly torch the rear in the long run.
I doubt very much that would happen. Ford puts the 7.5 rears in the 4.0 Mustangs.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i thought the mustang 4.0 was an essex?

rojizostang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i'm sure i would be better off just looking for another truck. thanks for the quick help!

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the swap has to be done in a hurry, that almost guarantees that Mr. Murphy will show up with his fickle laws and leave you stranded.

I would not personally undertake such an extensive project as an engine swap on my DD. It may look doable over a weekend but reality hardly ever follows your thinking of how long it will take.

You are better off getting a different truck.

If it were something that you could take your time with, swap would be fine.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the swap has to be done in a hurry, that almost guarantees that Mr. Murphy will show up with his fickle laws and leave you stranded.

I would not personally undertake such an extensive project as an engine swap on my DD. It may look doable over a weekend but reality hardly ever follows your thinking of how long it will take.

You are better off getting a different truck.

If it were something that you could take your time with, swap would be fine.
+1

My plug and play that should of took a weekend stretched into several weekends. Amonth and a half later I fired it up. Definitely worth it. Things went wrong, started rainin, and life just got in th way.

Cbonebornstad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 2.9L and my friend is swapping a v8 into his mustang same year 2007 if i take his trans and motor would it be a doable swap or would it be too much fab work or what I’m really thinking about it but I didn’t want to take on too much I already pulled my old blown up motor out of my truck just want to know if it’s worth taking his motor and trans (2007 mustang 4.0L auto into a 1987 4x4 auto 2.9L) please someone let me know I haven’t found anyone doing the mustang swap on here they always do the ranger 4.0 swap

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have a 1987 2.9L and my friend is swapping a v8 into his mustang same year 2007 if i take his trans and motor would it be a doable swap or would it be too much fab work or what I’m really thinking about it but I didn’t want to take on too much I already pulled my old blown up motor out of my truck just want to know if it’s worth taking his motor and trans (2007 mustang 4.0L auto into a 1987 4x4 auto 2.9L) please someone let me know I haven’t found anyone doing the mustang swap on here they always do the ranger 4.0 swap
Fabwork to get it to fit in the truck will likely not be that bad.... however, Engine management is going to kill you... you will need the ECM/ PCM and engine and transmission wiring harness, plus the entire PATS system including keys/ ignition lock cylinder from your buddies Mustang just so the engine knows how to run and the transmission knows how and when to shift. unless you are into self mutilation and like pain and suffering, I would say let this one go...

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals