• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD OffRoad

-ROKTOY-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up another Ranger ('84 2WD-2.3L 4spd).

My ? is, do 2WD trucks do decent offroad?
I would like to lift it alittle (maybe 4"). And I would also like to put a locker in the rear (maybe ARB). it would be mostly driven in Fields, Trails (with some mud, small rocks) mainly really bumpy terrain.

If so what type of lift should I go with?

-Camburg
-SkyJacker

Thanks in ADVANCE!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yep. talk to tire iron

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
They can do pretty well, but for trails, they're at a disadvantage due to no low-range.

AMiller

** Killed In Action **
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone got any pictures? I would love to see how this is done

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
good tires and good driving make all the difference in the world. it's all about momentum. i went pretty much everywhere my 4x4 buddies went and did it faster. my friends were sissies though,
a limited slip would have helped.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
good tires and good driving make all the difference in the world. it's all about momentum. i went pretty much everywhere my 4x4 buddies went and did it faster. my friends were sissies though,
a limited slip would have helped.
Follow me and you wouldn't make it long. 2 wheel drive is worthless off road if you ask me. Sure you can speed through mud holes and hope you make it but why? :dunno:

STXRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2wd is only good for desert trucks, so id get the Camburg kit because they specialize in the 2wd off road scene. if you have lots of mud, id stay away from it. like Davis said, tires make all the differnece.

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2wd can be fun off road, alot of the terain around my house isnt real extreme and could be boring for alot of the 4wheel guys, i think its fun to push you and your truck to your limits, see what you can really make it do, and that is kindof hard when you are using 4wheel drive to go down logging trails.

i suppose since you allready got it you might as well try it , i would see what you can get it to do with out a lift and go from there

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, It really depends on where you live and what kind of offroading that you do. I have a 2wd offroad truck in the works. I need a truck that can get big air and not bend when it comes down. I can build a 2wd much lighter in the front end. I am going to get a set of paddles for out on the dunes.
I ran 2wds offroad for years. I was really amazed at what a 4wd could do when i got my first one (the mutant pony). A 2wd will never be able to go everyplace a 4wd can. They can be fun though.

Last edited:

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I take me 2wd everywhere the 4X4 guys go... including the really soupy Florida mud and the deep water. Part of it is having a light truck with a short wheel base and good approach angles. Part of it is driving experience (this is gained by A. getting stuck, and B. watching others guys get stuck). Good tires and a good rear set up with a locker are a must, and some type of lift is a good idea for clearance...The only place i have found the 2wd at a disadvantage is when you are trying to yank somebody else out, because you don't have the low range, and the truck doesn't seem to hunker down and dig the way a 4x4 in low does whe recovering...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I dont get it, 2 drive tires or 4, what is better? (with lockers of course!)

Or I guess it could 1 drive tire versus 2, either way a 4x4 is better

C'Mon guys, take a 2wd to moab.....I dare ya! lol

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well that is what i was getting at, a two wheel drive could not go the same places that a comparable 4x4 would go. however with a built 4x4 you probably would get bored riding over mole holes, but that same mole hole in a 2wd could be a blast and if all you have are mole holes, a two wheel drive might do you right

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well that is what i was getting at, a two wheel drive could not go the same places that a comparable 4x4 would go. however with a built 4x4 you probably would get bored riding over mole holes, but that same mole hole in a 2wd could be a blast and if all you have are mole holes, a two wheel drive might do you right
I agree. 2wd offroading is a small cult of people, who usually have a 4x4 but like a challenge with their 2wd truck. I take out my 4x4 and tackle some obstacles. Then take the 2wd out and see how far I can get in 2wd. If you really think about it a 2wd with a locker is almost as good as a 4x4 with open diffs. I have been through some stuff that I thought a 2wd could never go. As for not having a low range, you have to gear low enough so you dont need one. I can put my 2wd in first gear, let the clutch out and walk beside the truck. Is that low enough for no t-case? Yes I believe it is. It works for me anyhow. And to see the look on those Jeep boys faces when you pass them on a hillclimb in a 2wd Ranger is priceless, making it even better when you sling half pound mud clods at their windshield. :taunt: A 2wd is not a rock crawler but I know one thing I have taken my truck places my uncles z71 would not go. And just the other night I was out and went right up a hill that a Scout with 35's could not make it up. It works for me.

One more thing, just think of a 2wd Ranger with a locker as an oversized 2wd utility or sport quad. They can go everywhere.

Last edited:

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
unless you have a desert in your back yard or a beach then ur truck is useless offroad. even then they have trouble if you slow down.

if you actually want to take it out, get some tire no narrower than 12.50s or maybe even 13.50s. get a locker and a set of deavers in the rear and you set. if you want a good front suspension, take a look at autofab

AngloSaxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One word: chains! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals