• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD OffRoad

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
well that is what i was getting at, a two wheel drive could not go the same places that a comparable 4x4 would go. however with a built 4x4 you probably would get bored riding over mole holes, but that same mole hole in a 2wd could be a blast and if all you have are mole holes, a two wheel drive might do you right
Very well put, makes alot of sense.

This arguement comes up all the time and lets face it guys, sure you can have fun in your 2 wheel drives but you will never do what a 4x4 can do.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. 2wd offroading is a small cult of people, who usually have a 4x4 but like a challenge with their 2wd truck. I take out my 4x4 and tackle some obstacles. Then take the 2wd out and see how far I can get in 2wd. If you really think about it a 2wd with a locker is almost as good as a 4x4 with open diffs. I have been through some stuff that I thought a 2wd could never go. As for not having a low range, you have to gear low enough so you dont need one. I can put my 2wd in first gear, let the clutch out and walk beside the truck. Is that low enough for no t-case? Yes I believe it is. It works for me anyhow. And to see the look on those Jeep boys faces when you pass them on a hillclimb in a 2wd Ranger is priceless, making it even better when you sling half pound mud clods at their windshield. :taunt: A 2wd is not a rock crawler but I know one thing I have taken my truck places my uncles z71 would not go. And just the other night I was out and went right up a hill that a Scout with 35's could not make it up. It works for me.

One more thing, just think of a 2wd Ranger with a locker as an oversized 2wd utility or sport quad. They can go everywhere.
If you went up somewhere that a scout could not, there is something really wrong with the scout or the driver. Come on dude, get off the crack. And a 2 wheel drive with a locker will never be as good as a open 4x4. That one wheel turning up front makes all the difference in the world. When you come up to an obsticle in a trail wether it is a rock or ditch or whatever, the 4x4 will help pull you up and over while the 2 wheeler will just push.

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you went up somewhere that a scout could not, there is something really wrong with the scout or the driver. Come on dude, get off the crack. And a 2 wheel drive with a locker will never be as good as a open 4x4. That one wheel turning up front makes all the difference in the world. When you come up to an obsticle in a trail wether it is a rock or ditch or whatever, the 4x4 will help pull you up and over while the 2 wheeler will just push.
A very heavy old Scout with open diffs and 35x12.50 bfg m/t vs my ranger with 33x12.50 wild country rvt's on a long steep muddy hill. Why am I on crack? He had 2 wheels spinning, I had 2 wheels spinning. We both had 2wd, we were not trying to rock crawl or drive up ledges or through ditches. I had the advantage. I never said a 2wd was a rockcrawler or a ditch crawler. But they do fairly well at mud slingin and trail riding.

Last edited:

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Very well put, makes alot of sense.

This arguement comes up all the time and lets face it guys, sure you can have fun in your 2 wheel drives but you will never do what a 4x4 can do.
Not if it is a true 4x4, then no it will never be possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals