• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 major problems

rathranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 4.0. it's idling around 700 and jumps around alittle. it seems to be burning oil and is misfiring really bad. when i hit the gas it won't idle up and sometimes dies.but it will run like this for a few minutes then be fine.
I am not driving well doing this just sitting in park. also sometime it will be idling fine but then just die.

HELP!

birdman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
is your engine light on?
Mine is doing the same thing and has been for a few weeks. but mine only does it when its cold outside. I first changed the IAC, didnt help, and now my computer is saying EGR so i have to change it, if its not that then i thin mine is then fuel rail gasket

rathranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes CEL was on showing P171 and p174. running lean in bank 1 and 2

rathranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i ran the truck today, i can make it idle up if i go real slow with the pedal. it seems to be blowing out a lot of black. my exhaust tips are black, and so is the snow bank i'm parked next to. i don't know if this is excess fuel or oil. I have some problems since i got my programmer im not sure if this would be from that?

Last edited:

Rudie Del Rude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pull your plugs and see if there's oil on em. If you find some with oil on em pressure test those cylinders to see if its a head/gasket or ring leak. If not it could be your valve seals or maybe a really bad intake manifold gasket leak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals