• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0v6 to a 351w

4TTF2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6 soon to be 351w
Transmission
Manual
alright guys, i have a stock 4.0l v6 and im getting a 351w, and i would like to know what i need for parts and what kind of transmission i need...

my truck has a 4 inch rancho lift.. what would be the best way to beef it up to hold this big engine?

i know i have to build my own motor mounts i got that planned already. but is there any tricks that can help me out?

i would like to know what kind of 5 speed tranny and transfer case i can find to work for this motor?

will i need a different fuel pump from a v6 to a v8 becuase of pressure wise?

welll... any advice will be very helpfull... just stright forward stuff please

Stimpson.06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
im guessing anything from a 3/4 ton at the junk yard would work for a tranny and transfercase, and i've been reading on alot of fourms and you can keep your stock pump but you have to get something to reduce it or some shit.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
There is a lot of variable to this. You can make mounts or use any of the premade 302 mounts, it will bolt up the same. If you make plates to use your existing 4.0L lower mounts I do feel it gives you more room to work with being you can fine tune positioning. Best trick for making the mounts...use a cardboard template to make mock mounting plates and use them to position the engine....still keep it on the hoist for obvious reasons. With a 351 the exhaust is the issue, not much room. If you search around you can find manifolds that will work. Headers on a 4x4, those are custom pieces. The lift won't be an issue, the axles can. You should have a Dana 35 and an 8.8 which will hold up "ok" depending on tire size. I would keep them until you break them, when you do you are look at 1 ton stuff most likely and a solid axle swap. Any fullsize transmission will work. 5 speeds are limited....the M5ODR2 or the heavy duty ZF. The M5 was never offered behind a 351 but should do ok being the ranger is lighter than a 1/2 ton. The ZF is rather large and you will be cutting a large hole in the floor to fit it as well has having a good bit of it sticking up through the floor. The older 4 speeds work well and the automatics all fit well too. T-case, any 6 bolt fullsize ford will fit, the NP 205 or 208 will fit the best. As far a fuel pressure are you keeping this injected? If so the stock pump should feel a stock 351...if carbed buy a return style regulator and that will drop your pressure. Good luck

Matt

4TTF2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6 soon to be 351w
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot matt for the help!

i will have to try to build some headers sounds like a nice challenge..
yes i do have the dana 35s but i only have 32/11.2 inch tires to not to bad to turn.. but i wanted to do a striaght axel converstion but the engine swap sounded funner then the axel..
i was planning on getting the 3 inch body lift for more room to work with will that prevent from cutting my floor?
With the transfer case, a buddy was wondering if the front output shaft going to the front axel is on the driverside of the truck like on the stock ranger? i wouldnt think they would change it but might as well ask..
im getting a carbed engine.. so if i make a return line do i just run a line from that regulator right to the tank? and is that regulator a part i can buy from a local parts store do you think?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That isn't too big of a tire...you should be fine for a while. When it breaks that's a good time to upgrade. The headers can be a real challenge. Shorties would be easier to make, I have long tubes which will take forever to make. If you aren't going to do a lot of engine modifications a set a factory manifolds are ok. A body lift will for sure help no matter what, especially with a ZF, not really required for anything else. If you are looking to use a ZF, it really isn't a speed demon for shifting. It's for a 1 ton truck really, plus the low first gear. All Ford t-cases that I know of reguardless of appication are driver side front output. For the fuel return, a parts store may have something but likely you will need to look to JEGS or Summit for one. I believe your factory engine should already have a return fuel line. If so you won't need to run a new line. The reason behind the return style regulator is it's easier on the pump for one, second with a normal regulator there is just too much pressure from the EFI pump so good chance you will be getting higher than the 6-8psi needed for the carb. It allows for the unused fuel/pressure to be bled back to the tank instead of being bottled up between the pump and regulator making stress for the pump and possible blow by going to the carb

4TTF2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6 soon to be 351w
Transmission
Manual
ok, yea i just put a new regulator on probably a 1000 miles ago, just didnt know if this would work...

with the zF trannys, is this a popualer transmision? somthing i could find in a junkyard

4TTF2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6 soon to be 351w
Transmission
Manual
with the headers do you have to bring them out into the wheel well just a tad? cuz i thought that would be somthing cool to show off but i was wondering if that would effect my turning?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The ZF isn't all that popular and they will usually bring good money. All the locals around here fetch $600 and some almost $1000 for one. If you can find one cheap grab it. If you are going to offroad the truck depending on tire size and amount of flex you have fender exit header may not work. A street truck might not be too much issue.

Matt

4TTF2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6 soon to be 351w
Transmission
Manual
just letting you guys know i got my 351w its 1979 bored 4 thousands over with a cam in it, im in the process of taking it apart and making sure the guts are still good since i only paid $100 for it lol

as of right now all i need is intake,carb, new harmonic balencer, and flywheel to get it running

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ZFs are really strong, and have a PTO plate to put add ons. You could have a pump for a hydraulic winch or something. The ZF was used as a speed transmission, but by GM. They used it in the Corvette for a few years. There is the ZF-6 too, but I don't know that they have em with a small block bellhousing pattern.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
They aren't as strong as you think though. At best the you are going to find the one rated for 470ft-lbs the other is 420. Don't get me wrong they aren't a bad unit but not for speed at all. I was able to click of a 13.3 quarter at 108mph using one in my truck with 8 inches of lift, 35s and 3.73 gears. For a heavy duty 5 speed 4x4 transmission it really the only choice out there. The ZF 6 is only in the modular bolt pattern though.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals