• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 B2 2.8L swap to 92 4.0L - transmission and wiring questions

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ran into a little snafu today. I didn't know it (all you guys probably do) but the motor mounts are different between a 84 2.8 in a Bronco II and a 86 2.9 in a ranger pickup, both 4x4.

I had the 2.9 almost in the 84 but it didn't want to line up quite correctly. Suspicious I got on rock auto and looked both up and sure enough, the motor mounts were different. I still had the 86 truck here, contemplating on taking the mounts out of it and putting them in the 84 BII. But then I had a eureka moment. If the blocks are the same, can I take the 84 motor mount brackets and put them on the 86 engine? Did it, and it went right in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If the blocks are the same, can I take the 84 motor mount brackets and put them on the 86 engine? Did it, and it went right in.
This is what I did with my 4.0 going into the 84. The only modification needed was to take a bit of the corner of one of the mounts off with a grinder. Believe it was the passenger side.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
A CEL Bulb gets 12volts from the instrument cluster with key on, but bulb is not Grounded so stays OFF
When the computer(EEC) powers up, also with key on, it will Ground the CEL bulb turning the CEL on, which means Computer has Booted up OK

Pin 17 on the 1992 Computer's 60 pin connector is that ground for CEL bulb

Computer was usually in the cab, in passenger kick panel area, and it's wiring harness ran thru the Firewall on passenger side of the engine bay
On that main harness, in the engine bay, is the OBD1(VIP) test connector
Its where you would plug in an OBD1 Reader

Looks like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/eec-iv_testing2.gif

A 6 slot connector and a single slot connector
On the 6 slot connector the Self-Test OUT is the CEL ground from pin 17
So you could "tap"/connect your added light there, run a wire from this OBD1(VIP) slot thru the firewall into the cab
Mount your light and connect it to a 12v key on power wire, and to the new wire

Some newer lights are LED, so have a + and - wire unlike "regular" 12v bulbs
Test any new bulb on your battery terminals to makes sure it lights up with either wire on either positive or negative
This is GOLD!

I ordered the CEL I posted above. It's an incandescent lamp. I'll let you know how it goes, but it may be a week or so until I tackle this.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
First start up today! However, it was very briefly enjoyed.

As soon as the motor fired it ran up to WOT, so I shut it down. Tried it again, with the same result. The accelerator pedal wasn't down (I didn't even touch it), the cable wasn't stuck, and the throttle body wasn't open.

This is the first fire after swapping in the 4.0L in place of a 2.8L. Possibly something with the computer that isn't happy? Any help is appreciated.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The engine can't run up that high without air. Air is coming in from somewhere beyond the throttle blades.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The engine can't run up that high without air. Air is coming in from somewhere beyond the throttle blades.
Thanks!

I plugged off the vacuum lines from the brake booster and cruise control, as they seemed suspect. Started it back up and it found a nice idle after a few moments. Now to see which of those two was the culprit. With as high as the idle was, I didn't think it could have only been vacuum related. Live and learn...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Today the Bronco moved under it's own power! I even put the hood back on!

However, the engine is running extremely rich and wanting to die. It doesn't improve when it gets up to temp. I have all the doors and windows in my garage open, and it's making my eyes water.

It has a new O2 sensor installed. I'm not getting any codes (other than those related to the now non-existent automatic transmission). I've checked vacuum lines and think I'm good there. I've searched this forum for "running rich" and haven't found what would seem to be a comparable thread. Any advice?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
A major player in engine fueling on that setup is the mass air flow sensor. I would pull some codes and see what the computer has to say about it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
A major player in engine fueling on that setup is the mass air flow sensor. I would pull some codes and see what the computer has to say about it.
I pulled codes earlier today and only got codes related to the absent automatic transmission. Is there a way to test the MAF sensor?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You must not have run it long enough for it to go through a drive cycle. You would think you would have gotten rich codes.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I think I'm getting closer, but still having troubles. Bronco is currently dead in the water, with no eec relay closure.

Last night I had it running with the intention of getting it up to temp and checking engine run codes. While it was warming up I noticed a coolant leak from the water neck, so started fiddling with that. In the process, the Bronco died. I didn't go around and turn the key off, but kept fooling with the heater hose, and heard the relays click. Then they went back off. I wiggled the harness at the front of the intake, and it happened again. I then narrowed it down to the crank position sensor loom going down the front of the engine. The slightest nudge here would cycle the relays. Maybe this is why it's been running so poorly?

I then peeled back some of the split loom, and then saw some arcing against the alternator bracket. I unhooked the battery, exposed the wires, but didn't see that either of the 2 crank position sensor wires were damaged. I'm guessing the bare wire is a shielding wire? This must have been what was arcing. Now, after taping it back up and putting it all back together, I can't get the eec relay to close.

Back probing the relay with the key on, I get
Y wire 12.9V
R wire 11.8V
R/G wire 12.8V
B/W wire 12.3V

Any help on what might cause this and where to start troubleshooting?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Digital multimeter (DMM)? Test again and look for a "-" (negative) symbol in front of some of the numbers.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what color was the wire?

no crank signal no start

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a grounding problem. It was using the shield. which is grounded back at the ECM as a ground for the power. The arcing was the circuits and the PCM using the shield to complete the circuit. Now you fixed that you do not have a good ground to the system. Using the shield as a conductor certainly can introduce noise and make it run lousy.

Now the question is, how was the original 4.0 system grounded? I know on my 1986, there was a dedicated ground wire for this circuit going directly to the battery negative terminal. It had a single disconnect connector in the ground wire. If you pulled this connector loose while the engine was running, it would stop dead.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here is a grounding diagram for a 1992 Explorer. Looks like they did the same thing, a main ground in that harness going directly to the battery. And looks like there is another ground going somewhere else also.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals