• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Explorer

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 98 Explorer 5.0 n VERY HAPPY but when it warms up from driving it kinna shudders in turns when taking off from a dead stop not when cold or when going straight even hot:icon_confused:I'm THINKN AWD transfer case issue:dunno:????? THANX!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup. Viscous coupling in the t-case is locking up. Mine does it too, as do almost all of them.

My fix... Run without the front shaft, reinstall it if you know you'll need 4wd, like if there is snow coming, or a field party that night.

I gained 4 mpg, and it drives and tows better 2wd.

Only 1 issue, the creep. It will creep forward an inch or two after you put it in park. Also sometimes there will be a jerk when stopping or taking off. Both due to the front output of the t-case loading and unloading, no big deal really.

....Then to fix it right there is the manual shift part-time t-case swap, it uses the Borg Warner 4406 from an F150, and Expedition driveshafts.

...btw good luck finding a good Awd case, or the coupling. The couplings can be bought, but are $600+, + the seals and rebuild.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
$$$

600.00:icon_confused: I only paid $1300.00 for the whole truck WITH a rebuilt motor it,:icon_thumby:I LUV this truck!:yahoo: What all should I grab to do the 4406 swap from the donor truck n what yr 150 ? Would any of the older transfer cases work like from a 91 auto tranny manual TC Bronco?...THANX!

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Mmmmmmmmmmm!

There's a real nice write up on the swap at www.explorerforum.com

Make sure you come back here! We have cookies!
N MILK from the back of the ice box with the lil ICE CRYSTALS floatn n it? EGGGCELLENT!:icon_thumby:looked n don c it what section b it n? THANX!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals