• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 vs 99 engine wiring harness

joebrekfas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for any help I receive before hand. I have a bad harness on my 99. I have looked around, but my harness is discontinued, and i hate to rebuild the one I have. I found one for a 98 that looks the same from what Ican tell. Both are for 2.5l manuals.
My 1999 part number is, xlsz-12a581-gb.
The 1998 part number is, f87z-12a581-ag.
Anyone know the difference? If there is a differnce, such as connectors, could I just switch them out? Where can I find the diagrams or pin out for these two parts.

Thanks again for your help.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I suspect the only way to know is to 1)get the wiring diagrams and compare them looking for differences, or 2) remove both harnesses and lay them out for comparison, and then ohm out each conductor from pin to connector pin.
If you had them side by side, you might be able to note distinct differences in the connectors without a lot of effort, and then figure out the wiring for those specific conductors.
I would think you'd have a very lot that was exactly the same. They didn't change them a lot except for additional requirements, or where there had been problems. Changes cost money... And the base part #'s you quoted sure look the same.
Your local library might have access to a source of wiring diagrams by model year, such as the EBSCO system, at zero cost. If not, you can buy a daily, or three-day or ??? subscription to {cr*p the name escapes me ... it is an online auto repair database} and print out the schematics or diagrams. If you do, you can then 'walk' the diagrams a section at a time. They have letter/numbers at the periphery to set up a number-letter grid of boxes to locate all the 'stuff'.
tom

joebrekfas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. Luckily, they company offering the harness has a 15 day return policy. I went ahead and forked over the 800 bucks. I am going to do the side by side comparison. Worst case senerio is might have to switch a few pins or connectors. (I hope)
I wish I would have paid less for the harness, but they are rare. I am glad I won't spend a week or two trying to put one together.
Thanks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No junkyards in your area?

When I bought my replacement engine it came with a 98 Ranger 2.5 wiring harness as an extra because the original owner swapped a 2.5 into his 96 and used the 96 wiring. If you just need the 2.5 harness for the injectors and engine controls (computer et al) then this one would work.

I was going to cut it up and put an extension on mine so I could run it through the firewall but I decided against that...primarily because it would be a disaster in the making.

Post up a pick of what you got for your money and if mine matches we can work out the details...shipping plus a few bucks would cover it since I was only going to post it up on Kijiji...and if nobody buys it I was going to strip it down and sell it for scrap copper...

joebrekfas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had pulled one at a junk yard, but it looked just as bad as the one I am replacing. The current one has 300,000 miles on it, and everything is brittle.
MARK 88, is this harness new or used? I don't like to be too picky, but on my rebuild I am replacing just about every sensor too so, I am trying to keep everthing new as possible. From what I have seen latley from the wiring in my truck, I don't want to be chasing shorts in 2 years. Learned my lesson when my truck started popping fuses recently.I said screw it. All the wiring need to go.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It is used from what I can tell. I didn't discuss with the previous owner where it came from so I honestly don't know. I haven't really looked that closely at it other than to make sure it was the right one for my truck and that they matched pretty much down to the last wire. It did have stickers on it that looked like they were new (or parts from it that I used on my starter circuit)...

I can see your reason for being picky and that's ok...just thought it might help to divert some of that cash to other things on your to do list...and I'd rather see the harness be put to use rather than stripped down for scrap...but...you're probably better off going with a new one...I know the frustration of getting something only to find out it doesn't work or has other issues...

I was going to go pull another harness out of the same bin today but got sidetracked with another issue...tomorrow I can have a look...supposed to be warm and sunny here so I can have a look...even post pictures if I can get them to pose nicely...

That's why I wanted to see what you had or needed...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I finally got to pull it out and it turns out to be in rougher shape than I'd thought...so it looks like mine is scrap...there were also no markings on the harness to tell me if it was a 96 or 98 from the new(er) engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals