• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any benefit to installing a 180 degree thermostat?

DamnYankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Wagon wheels
I have read that the 2.9 can benefit from a 180 degree thermostat to keep the engine temperature down reducing the chances of cracking the head. Any truth to that?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Nope. Just put a good thermostat in it, I.e. NOT a Stant.

Flush your cooling system once a year.

Never use stop leak, etc.

Upgrade your fans - flex a lite or dual e fans on a thermostat on the discharge hose.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If your engine overheats with a 195 degree thermostat its still going to overheat with a 180 degree thermostat.

DamnYankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Wagon wheels
The engine is not overheating. I’m replacing the ECT sensor and figured I’d replace the thermostat while I was at it.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Nope. Just put a good thermostat in it, I.e. NOT a Stant.

Flush your cooling system once a year.

Never use stop leak, etc.

Upgrade your fans - flex a lite or dual e fans on a thermostat on the discharge hose.
What? No recommendation of installing headers to get more heat out of the eggshell heads?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While I know mine is a 3.0, it's had a 180 in it since like 2002. Never a problem. My Lightning should have a 180, it has a 170. Been that way for several years. Never a problem. I'll not be returning either to the factory temperature thermostat. EVER! On both trucks, the temperature needle runs noticeably lower on the gauge than they did previously. I like it that way.

My reading on it in the past more or less indicated, like the recommended use of colored water oil, that the high temperature thermostat was more for helping to meet stricter EPA emission requirements than anything else. No one will tell you that any more, but years ago when the stupid high temp stats first starting coming about, that was the opinion of many. And usually one of the first things I change when I buy a vehicle is to put a lower temp stat in it. Always have, always will.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Man that dude really doesn't like the EPA...

Mike Tonon

Buy an OEM thermostat ONLY! Use that new green coolant that’s rated for 150,000 miles/5 years. That’s what I’d recommend.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let's take a trip back to the future, the 70's. I had a 1970 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400, 400 motor, Muncie M22 trans, 4.11 gears. Came with a 180 stat from the factory.
At the same time, I also had a 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM, 400 motor, slushbox trans. Came with a 195 stat from the factory.
Two different year cars from the same company, same motor, higher stat in the later year car.
Why? The damn EPA. That's why.
Both had 160 stat's when I was done with them. Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no, on either my Ranger or my Lightning, I've never had the code telling me the temperature was too low to allow t he computer to make the switch from open loop to closed. Even in the winter.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lower temp thermostat on a 2.9 with EEC-IV will make the computer dump fuel to the engine trying to warm it up. You may get some performance out of it, but speaking from experience, it will tank your fuel economy

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the 2.9, that may be. Didn't affect the mileage of my 3.0 one wit. Still get around 18 to 20 on the highway. 16 around town. But hey, I drive it like I stole it. Always chirping the tires at stops. Always hammer down around my favorite set of curves. Have the larger Hellwig anti-sway bars on it, both ends. Rebuilt the front end last July. Handles like a slot car. Love throwing it around a set of curves. Frankly, some people try staying on my bumper and have a difficult time of it. Except on bikes of course. It's not lowered, never will be. Don't like skateboards. Still handles extremely nice with the big sway bars. Rides a bit on the rough side though. Big tips are gone, just two straight outs now.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The thermostat controls what temp the fluid starts flowing at. It does not control how high the temperature gets, it controls how cool it gets. Use whatever the factory recomends....unless you are racing...then you probably would have asked a different question.....

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Whatever, on both my Lightning and my Ranger, the temperature needle points at a place on the gauge lower than it did before. My Lightning used to read around exactly the half way point, now reads around one third. In the hot and humid summer time. And that's going from a 180 to a 170. Ranger needle also points noticeably lower than it previously did. I'll keep them as they are now, thank you very much.

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. And you'll not convince me to put higher temp stats in my vehicles. ADIOS amigos.

I got to go gas up my 08 B-King and do some corner carving. Later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals