• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beating a dead horse, but one can dream

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been wondering, what ever happened with the rumors that the euro-ranger would make its way over here? Did ford just give up all together on the compact trucks, they had such a good run with the ranger then dropped it like a bad habit.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last I heard was IF it was to be built it would be on the Atlas platform, same as the new F-150 and built in the greatly expanded KC plant - no imports.
Dave

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those rumors were unfounded, started by people who have no affiliation with FMC. The global Ranger won't ever be brought to the US because it is too close in size, appearance, price, fuel economy, and functionality to the F-150. It's pointless and would likely end up hurting sales of both vehicles.

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Those rumors were unfounded, started by people who have no affiliation with FMC. The global Ranger won't ever be brought to the US because it is too close in size, appearance, price, fuel economy, and functionality to the F-150. It's pointless and would likely end up hurting sales of both vehicles.
I can see that. But does ford still have a hand in the Mazda B-Series trucks?
are they really comparable to the Rangers as the same reliability. I am just thinking if I end up in the market for a small truck on the same price range as the Ranger what are the option? I really think Ford should of kept the ranger around. :sad:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think there is a real market for a true compact truck with gas prices like they are.

I bought a gas sipper to drive around and would have loved to have something I could haul trash in and run errands at lowes with a bed and get 30mpg in town. Even a car base unibody type vehicle would be great.

Not for off roding or towing just everyday driving I save a lot of money a month driving the car I bought vs my truck all the time.

grumpyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently purchased a 2008 FX4 for my son. While waiting for some paperwork to be completed the salesman and i chatted for a while and lamented the demise of the Ranger. We both spoke of how few a for sale where we live and how quickly they sell.

As it were many if not all Canadian dealerships petitioned Ford to reconsider, to no avail. The official reason was that Ford wanted to focus on the f series as it was a best seller....unofficially straight from the owner of the dealership who had spoken with Ford execs was that the public wanted more room. Now ford told the dealership owner to read between the lines.....the real reason......the ever increasing girth of it's clientele. That and the Canadian market is but a speck in Fords eye.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
When I bought my 2015 f150 the dealer was drooling over my '01 Ranger as a trade in. They said they had a long list of people who would buy it... Any condition, any price. Seems to me there's still a market for a smaller truck.

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There is still a huge market for the smaller size truck. Any reason Ford will give you or any dealership more then likely would not be the truth.
Really does the Mazda B-Series have the same reliability and really for the ranger owners is that the next logical step?

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm tired of beating this horse. I need a 4 door compact, I've had a 94 exploder, 97, and currently 98 Ranger when the time is right I'm ready to move on to another make.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
What kind of 4 door compact?:popcorn:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It does look like they would look around and see the number of Toyota and Nissans on the road and want a piece of the pie

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2wd 99 b2500 looks and drives like a ranger.
Its a good truck.I picked it up from my dad.it sat for a couple years,all I did was oil and filter change,front end alignment and tires.I went to change plugs and it has 2 sets,1 for intake and 1 for exhaust and they are pretty tight too get to.so im still running them.
It had about 124000 on it and I've put approx 6000 on it in the last 2yrs.

Last edited:

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, to actually answer your question for you, the b-series mazda pick-ups are basically the same truck as a ranger underneath their funky looking skin. Same powertrain, so they are just as reliable as a ranger. And by the way, dead horses should never be beaten, as that demonstrates bad character.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think there is a real market for a true compact truck with gas prices like they are.
Ford's stance is you should eagerly slap down $50k for a F-150 and marvel how much money you will save maybe getting low 20's for mileage. If that is too steep you should spend $45k for a 5yo F-150 with 20k and be almost as happy.

I built a decent (4wd, V8, power windows, locks, A/C, cruise (aka late 90's early 00's XLT)) XL on their website for $40k... for an XL. Just the extended cab option is almost $4k, Supercrew is pushing $8k. :shok:

I am just not seeing anywhere to go when my '02 F-150 eventually rusts away. I figure it has an easy 10 years left in it for them to get their crap together, but IMO their pricing is beyond ridiculous at the moment.

Now whenever I see a fairly late model (5yo or less) for about what I paid for my 3yo F-150 10 years ago with 25k miles (a little under $20k) I get my hopes up maybe the world is starting to make sense again... then I see it has the same or more miles as what I have (sitting at 131k right now)

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never been able to fathom putting out 1/2 my mortgage for a depreciating vehicle. IF I was to put out that kind of money, it would be for a rotissorie restored classic truck. Any where from the '30's to the '80's would work for me. At least that would hold it's value.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals