• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beefiest OEM Swaybars that fit?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
Hello! I will be doing a junkyard run soon, and one of the main things on my list are thicker swaybars. I have plans for autocross so I need to eliminate a lot of body roll. My truck originally had no rear bar, but I pulled a rear swaybar off a B3000 and it fit without issues. The B3000 rear bar helped to eliminate some body roll and while I could tell a difference, there is still much more that can be improved.

I have heard that the swaybars from the Bronco II fit some Ranger models. I believe the Bronco II rear swaybars will fit. My truck is a 2wd SLA truck, but could the Bronco II TTB front swaybars still fit?
If not, is my best option for front swaybars to pull one off of an Explorer?

I haven't gotten deep enough into this truck to justify spending money on Belltech or Hellwig swaybars yet.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would expect bars from a TTB truck to require some fabrication of mounts and links. Best bet would be from an SLA truck. Explorer or mountaineer may be your best bet for stiffness. Get a cheap pair of calipers so you can measure them. Stiffer bars will normally be thicker.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
I would expect bars from a TTB truck to require some fabrication of mounts and links. Best bet would be from an SLA truck. Explorer or mountaineer may be your best bet for stiffness. Get a cheap pair of calipers so you can measure them. Stiffer bars will normally be thicker.
+1 on the calipers idea. Will definitely do that. Are all of the live axle rear swaybars the same, or are there different mounting points for 7.5 vs 8.8 rear?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
+1 on the calipers idea. Will definitely do that. Are all of the live axle rear swaybars the same, or are there different mounting points for 7.5 vs 8.8 rear?
At a minimum, the brackets in the axle are different between 7.5” and 8.8” axles. After putting the 8.8” axle (31 spline) under mine I tried to fit the original ability-sway bar from the 7.5”. I ground out the brackets and made it work. The ends that bolt to the frame links worked fine. Eventually removed the whole mess. I run without anti-sway bars to maximize articulation on my 4x4.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
At a minimum, the brackets in the axle are different between 7.5” and 8.8” axles. After putting the 8.8” axle (31 spline) under mine I tried to fit the original ability-sway bar from the 7.5”. I ground out the brackets and made it work. The ends that bolt to the frame links worked fine. Eventually removed the whole mess. I run without anti-sway bars to maximize articulation on my 4x4.
Could I use the 7.5 brackets with the bushings for the larger swaybar? Or is cutting unavoidable? I can cut stuff up if I need, I just don't prefer it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bushings are different sized obviously.

The clamps that go on the axle are the same between a 7.5 and 28 spline 8.8. 31 spline 8.8's have bigger axle tubes. I modifed OBS F-150 axle brackets to fit my 31 spline 8.8.

Explorer rear swaybars are totally different, their bracketry is welded on the axle and the swaybar goes behind the axle. For all intents and purposes they are not compatible with a Ranger axle. However if you swap in an Explorer axle, just drill two holes and the Explorer sway bar will work.

Front is completly different but there is a picture of the rear for your truck here:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Could I use the 7.5 brackets with the bushings for the larger swaybar? Or is cutting unavoidable? I can cut stuff up if I need, I just don't prefer it.
If you can find the brackets for 8.8” it would be better. If I recall. At least the one bracket needed to rest on the end of the differential housing. It has been a few years. There may be a picture and more explanation in my build thread.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
Bushings are different sized obviously.

The clamps that go on the axle are the same between a 7.5 and 28 spline 8.8. 31 spline 8.8's have bigger axle tubes. I modifed OBS F-150 axle brackets to fit my 31 spline 8.8.

Explorer rear swaybars are totally different, their bracketry is welded on the axle and the swaybar goes behind the axle. For all intents and purposes they are not compatible with a Ranger axle. However if you swap in an Explorer axle, just drill two holes and the Explorer sway bar will work.

Front is completly different but there is a picture of the rear for your truck here:

Okay so it looks like I will get rear swaybars off of a Bronco II and get the front bar off of an Explorer, measured with calipers.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Okay so it looks like I will get rear swaybars off of a Bronco II and get the front bar off of an Explorer, measured with calipers.
That sounds like a pretty solid plan.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For largest OEM components you're on the right track.

Explorer/Mountaineer had the largest SLA front swaybar, but I can't tell you the size. Consider size and weight, IIRC some of those bars were solid and others were hollow, but I can;t recall the year it changed. Obviously the solid bar is going to be stiffer, even if it is slightly smaller.

Bronco II 1" rear sway bar would be the erasiest to fit in the rear. There may be an Explorer bar that is about the same size, but differences in the suspension make it less desirable if not completely unusable for a stock Ranger rear suspension.

Don't forget to check the aftermarket for bushings if necessary. As I think was notedf above the BII used a 7.5" rear axle while your truck most likely has an 8.8" axle. IIRC the BII bar was mounted to the axle using u-bolts, it didn't have welded on mounts like the later trucks. I can't remember about axle tube sizes, but the 7.5 hardware may not fit around the 8.8" axle tubes. Companies like Energy Suspension sell universal mounts that will fit.

FWIW I've got both an Explorer front bar and a BII rear bar to install on my 99 when the time comes. I think that I was planning to use Energy Suspension bushings/mounts to attach the BII bar to the original 8.8 axle mount points.

Theres been a lot of discussions about sway bars down in the 2wd suspension section over the years, might be worth taking a little time to go search for it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back

Explorer/Mountaineer had the largest SLA front swaybar, but I can't tell you the size. Consider size and weight, IIRC some of those bars were solid and others were hollow, but I can;t recall the year it changed. Obviously the solid bar is going to be stiffer, even if it is slightly smaller.

Bronco II 1" rear sway bar would be the erasiest to fit in the rear. There may be an Explorer bar that is about the same size, but differences in the suspension make it less desirable if not completely unusable for a stock Ranger rear suspension.

Don't forget to check the aftermarket for bushings if necessary. As I think was notedf above the BII used a 7.5" rear axle while your truck most likely has an 8.8" axle. IIRC the BII bar was mounted to the axle using u-bolts, it didn't have welded on mounts like the later trucks. I can't remember about axle tube sizes, but the 7.5 hardware may not fit around the 8.8" axle tubes. Companies like Energy Suspension sell universal mounts that will fit.

FWIW I've got both an Explorer front bar and a BII rear bar to install on my 99 when the time comes. I think that I was planning to use Energy Suspension bushings/mounts to attach the BII bar to the original 8.8 axle mount points.

Theres been a lot of discussions about sway bars down in the 2wd suspension section over the years, might be worth taking a little time to go search for it.
Ah okay, I was under the impression that broncos had the 8.8 rear. I have a 7.5 rear so that is perfect. For the front SLA, I definitely will have to obtain a solid swaybar.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah okay, I was under the impression that broncos had the 8.8 rear. I have a 7.5 rear so that is perfect. For the front SLA, I definitely will have to obtain a solid swaybar.
Broncos do have 8.8's

Bronco II's have 7.5's

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back

It looks like have an answer for front swaybar options after looking through the explorer forums: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/99-front-sway-bar-diameter.27310/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals