• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beefiest OEM Swaybars that fit?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
For largest OEM components you're on the right track.

Explorer/Mountaineer had the largest SLA front swaybar, but I can't tell you the size. Consider size and weight, IIRC some of those bars were solid and others were hollow, but I can;t recall the year it changed. Obviously the solid bar is going to be stiffer, even if it is slightly smaller.

Bronco II 1" rear sway bar would be the erasiest to fit in the rear. There may be an Explorer bar that is about the same size, but differences in the suspension make it less desirable if not completely unusable for a stock Ranger rear suspension.

Don't forget to check the aftermarket for bushings if necessary. As I think was notedf above the BII used a 7.5" rear axle while your truck most likely has an 8.8" axle. IIRC the BII bar was mounted to the axle using u-bolts, it didn't have welded on mounts like the later trucks. I can't remember about axle tube sizes, but the 7.5 hardware may not fit around the 8.8" axle tubes. Companies like Energy Suspension sell universal mounts that will fit.

FWIW I've got both an Explorer front bar and a BII rear bar to install on my 99 when the time comes. I think that I was planning to use Energy Suspension bushings/mounts to attach the BII bar to the original 8.8 axle mount points.

Theres been a lot of discussions about sway bars down in the 2wd suspension section over the years, might be worth taking a little time to go search for it.
Does Energy suspension sell the bushings for the rear u-joint type mounting brackets? I have tried looking for these bushings in the past but came up with nothing.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you mean u-bolt type? Something like these?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/chassis-suspension/section/bushings-mounts/part-type/sway-bar-bushings?N=universal:yes

I think (not positive) that your factory rear axle is already going to have a sway bar bracket welded on. The above bushings are probably meant to bolt to the flat under side of the frame, but if the hole spacing is correct they'll just as easily mount to the bracket on the axle. Find the right diameter bushing, make sure that the hole spacing fits the bracket, get a U-bolt and bolt it around the axle and through the existing sway bar mounts.

I want to say that the axle sway bar mounts for the BII were not welded to the axle and just held on with the U-bolt, but it's been a long time since I looked. If so they could be easily swapped over with the sway bar. If not, a little time with a battery powered grinder and a hammer would remove them. Push come to shove, I'd also consider using some spring perchs to make my own.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
Do you mean u-bolt type? Something like these?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/chassis-suspension/section/bushings-mounts/part-type/sway-bar-bushings?N=universal:yes

I think (not positive) that your factory rear axle is already going to have a sway bar bracket welded on. The above bushings are probably meant to bolt to the flat under side of the frame, but if the hole spacing is correct they'll just as easily mount to the bracket on the axle. Find the right diameter bushing, make sure that the hole spacing fits the bracket, get a U-bolt and bolt it around the axle and through the existing sway bar mounts.

I want to say that the axle sway bar mounts for the BII were not welded to the axle and just held on with the U-bolt, but it's been a long time since I looked. If so they could be easily swapped over with the sway bar. If not, a little time with a battery powered grinder and a hammer would remove them. Push come to shove, I'd also consider using some spring perchs to make my own.
My 7.5 rear doesn’t have a welded in bracket. I have installed a smaller rear swaybar already, and it uses the u-joint type mounting brackets. Those do seem to be the type that I need

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your terminology is messing me up.

U-joints:

U-bolts:

I've seen rear sway bars mounted with u-bolts, I've never seen one mounted with u-joints. You can most likely use the same brackets and bolts with the BII bar if you find the right size bushings.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
Your terminology is messing me up.

U-joints:

U-bolts:

I've seen rear sway bars mounted with u-bolts, I've never seen one mounted with u-joints. You can most likely use the same brackets and bolts with the BII bar if you find the right size bushings.
Im sorry I was in the middle of working and I must have gotten the two mixed up. But yes, the swaybars are attached similarly to a U-bolt on some models. In my case it is a clamp. Nothing is welded on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals