• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best trans for rock crawling

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Im swapping all my suspension and stuff from my 89 ranger to an 88 b2 to allow for more room and i will also be stretching the axles front and rear (front is still ttb) I prerun and crawl with the ranger.

I was looking to run a 2.9 till I can get a 4.0, but I wanted to find the best automatic transmission I could use without too much issue. The current auto in the 88 is blown and Im looking at a 94 expo one for the strength.

I have a doubler so I felt the auto was a better option than the 5 speed, and ive messed up the pressure plate a few times with crap.

So these are my options:

2.9 with a4ld and doubler

4.0 with a4ld and doubler.

Is it possible to run the a4ld off the 2.9 computer or would I have to run dual computers. Or should I just do the 4.0 setup.

Or should I just stick with the 5 speed for less aggravation?

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well... the "best" transmission would be anything other than an A4LD, ie a C5...or M5OD.

Now that said I think the A4LD would work fine in your situation. I am not really aware of anything that would require you to run dual computers or any of that stuff, there is really not much involved electronically with an A4LD, just a couple solenoids and reverse lights/neutral safety switch.

If I had a need to put a truck together and had an A4LD and nothing else, for sure I would use it.

One other thing with the automatic is that even though they are not well known for their strength, ANY automatic will take a lot of stress off the rest of your drivetrain because there is a fluid link between the engine and the rest, rather than a clutch, and reduces the shock load that can be applied to the transmission, t-case and axles.

I have a manual in my crawler and just a single t-case but I wish I would have done an automatic instead.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Well... the "best" transmission would be anything other than an A4LD, ie a C5...or M5OD.

Now that said I think the A4LD would work fine in your situation. I am not really aware of anything that would require you to run dual computers or any of that stuff, there is really not much involved electronically with an A4LD, just a couple solenoids and reverse lights/neutral safety switch.

If I had a need to put a truck together and had an A4LD and nothing else, for sure I would use it.

One other thing with the automatic is that even though they are not well known for their strength, ANY automatic will take a lot of stress off the rest of your drivetrain because there is a fluid link between the engine and the rest, rather than a clutch, and reduces the shock load that can be applied to the transmission, t-case and axles.

I have a manual in my crawler and just a single t-case but I wish I would have done an automatic instead.
Even a trans builder I know said screw the a4ld and go 4r44 or 4r55 atleast. But i dont like the fact that its all electronic. Sometimes I wish I could make a powerglide I have laying around work haha.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I say m5od. I had a rough time keeping my a4lds alive in my explorer and only found reliability when I put in a m5od. I eventually ran 37s which were too big for 4.56 ring and pinion gears around town and on the trail- gearing wise- but were great on the hwy. When I added a doubler they were great on the trail and the manual was great. Lots of choices for the right gear. Then it was great on the hwy on the way home. My favorite part of a manual is if it is broke, 99% of the time all it needs is a clutch. I can do that myself with a couple hundred bucks and a day's work.

Alternatives to the a4ld if you must have an auto is a c5 or a 700r4 with an adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think your best option by far would be to use a C5 if you can find one. I have one sitting on the shelf, waiting for my next V6 powered project.

I have wheeled with a few guys who are running A4LD's, in a rock crawling environment. I really haven't heard any complaints, if you get one that is in good shape and put a good cooler on it they will last quite a while.

If you had a V8 you could for sure make that Powerglide work! Buddy of mine has a C4 behind an LS motor...anything is possible with the right adapter.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Yea im gonna be trying out new tires, 40x13.5 Iroks, they are just as heavy as my 35x15 boggers. Know its probably stupid on a d35 and 8.8 with 4.56 locked front and rear but im gonna try it. The bronco 2 i bought has em on a d28 and 7.5 and the guy never broke it haha.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Or should I just stick with the 5 speed for less aggravation?
I have a M5OD (wide-ratio) with a doubler and am quite happy with the setup.
I won't say that I've never wished for a lower gear, but it's been rare.

2.9L, 35x12.50s, 5.13 gears. Typical use is on trails like Dusy/Ershim, Rubicon, etc. (no super-hardcore buggy type stuff).

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the 4.0 I don't think I ever needed a lower gear. It was pretty rad to leave the hubs unlocked and stand on the brakes on the cement in my garage and do an idle burn out in double low.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
If i found a c5 id swap in a FI 302 haha. with the c5 you need a special adapter from the v8 expos to run the 1350/1354 right?

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nah. A c5 is found in early production bronco 2s and Rangers. Like 83 or 84s. It is a non over drive auto. It is a version of the old c4 (found behind the v8s I. Early Broncos Etc) with a bell Housing that will fit the 4.0/ 2.9 and a tcase adapter that will fit a 1450/1354. They are durable but don't have an over drive. They are also getting hard to find.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Nah. A c5 is found in early production bronco 2s and Rangers. Like 83 or 84s. It is a non over drive auto. It is a version of the old c4 (found behind the v8s I. Early Broncos Etc) with a bell Housing that will fit the 4.0/ 2.9 and a tcase adapter that will fit a 1450/1354. They are durable but don't have an over drive. They are also getting hard to find.

Thats about exactly what im looking for, something the equivalent of a TH350 or a th400, no electronics and driven off hydro pressure.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I also had the M5OD wide ratio, 1350/54 doubler, and 4.10s (36" TSLs). I loved it, but sometimes a touch slower would have been nice.

My new setup is the same, but now 5.13s and 38.5s. I have not wheeled it yet, so I am not much help. I do have half bald 40's for street duty, so I will also be able to give some feedback on that setup once its running.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I also had the M5OD wide ratio, 1350/54 doubler, and 4.10s (36" TSLs). I loved it, but sometimes a touch slower would have been nice.

My new setup is the same, but now 5.13s and 38.5s. I have not wheeled it yet, so I am not much help. I do have half bald 40's for street duty, so I will also be able to give some feedback on that setup once its running.
Im still running a fully modified setup D35 TTB and an 8.8 I figure most of you over 35s are solid axle haha.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Im still running a fully modified setup D35 TTB and an 8.8 I figure most of you over 35s are solid axle haha.
I know 4x4junkie is still TTB.

I am HP44 solid and 31 spline 8.8 (both RBV width)

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I know 4x4junkie is still TTB.

I am HP44 solid and 31 spline 8.8 (both RBV width)
I know your setup we are friends on facebook haha.

You need to ditch that d44 already...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals