• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BFGoodrich A/T Tires

BOSS302Man

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0 overhead x
I have a set of A/T BFG's and I think they are GREAT! Have about 18,000 miles on them and they look new. Great in the snow and they look cool in my opinion. Neighbor had a set of Duellers and they didn't last very long at all. I was never a fan of Firestone tires and the Duellers backed me up on that.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I put on a mild lift and got 265/75-16 Dueler REVO's almost immediately. Great in snow, rain, even mud, and quiet for an A/T, but they only last about 25,000.
(Long story made short, I was 'froading and knocked the alignment out, burned off the fronts before I knew it. Now I'm buying two a year and I'm kinda stuck in the cycle. But even with good alignment, rotation, and checking the pressure weekly, I only get about 25k out of them.)
BFG's cost more up front but they also wear like iron, so they will likely cost you less in the end.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Well I just talked to the shop again today and seems the tires I have now are not what is making the rumble. It is the damn ford $250 a piece unit bearings. $&^(^$ FORD!

But the tires on it now are only a C rated tire!! Right inside the gas cap it even says it needs E rated tires. I am suprised I have not blown them out yet. I had a trailer on it over the winter that was 4,000 over my limit... Eeek, the thought of it.

I just got some 3.99% APR checks in the mail so I think I am going to tell them to put on a set of BFG A/T's Load Range E's before I pick it up.

Thanks as always for the opinions.

The last straw in my decision, and why I am having the truck worked on to begin with is I have to move our camping trailer around the campground Wed night, and it has been raining the last 2 days! I don't want to get hung up in the grass or light mud.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The theory with the unit bearings is you are paying for the part cost instead of the techs labor to set them up. There is less time for your truck to tie up the shop and it is alot simpler to install. Really if you are paying someone to do it it is about a draw expensewise. Make sure you get the good ones and keep your receipts, they do let the ocassional fluke out of the factory.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I had BFG's on my truck and they were great in everything except thick clay, prettymuch like everyone else has said....they are pretty spendy tho.

w_pinkerton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recommend getting Cooper Discoverer ATR's. for me it was a toss up between them and the BFG ATs. I ended up with the coopers because they were cheaper and had a 50,000 mile warranty compared to BFG's 30,000. i have about 35,000 on them and they are about 1/2 tread yet. very good tires with awesome traction.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The theory with the unit bearings is you are paying for the part cost instead of the techs labor to set them up. There is less time for your truck to tie up the shop and it is alot simpler to install. Really if you are paying someone to do it it is about a draw expensewise. Make sure you get the good ones and keep your receipts, they do let the ocassional fluke out of the factory.
True, but I can repack the bearings on the B2 in under an hour with myself doing it. Free labor. And usually there is no need to replace the bearings themselves.

I think it is a good way for FORD to make money, because it sure is not saving me any. I would rather spend the time and do them. Seems dumb to have a non serviceable bearing assy on such a heavy duty vehicle. :no2:

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I got them on my truck. They look great, I've not had any trouble with them.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I will have them on mine tomorrow when they call and say she's done.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
True, but I can repack the bearings on the B2 in under an hour with myself doing it. Free labor. And usually there is no need to replace the bearings themselves.

I think it is a good way for FORD to make money, because it sure is not saving me any. I would rather spend the time and do them. Seems dumb to have a non serviceable bearing assy on such a heavy duty vehicle. :no2:
Fewer of us work on our own vehicles now too, so everybody else is still paying the same either way. It saves Ford money, and doesn't cost the average consumer much more. I don't like the idea either but about everything on the road is like that now.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If you like the BFG allterrains check out the General Grabber AT2, almost identical tread pattern, they wear extreemly well and are probably half the price of the BFG.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those Grabber AT2 are probably the next thing going on my truck, course that'll be a while. I can't seem to get the Lemans A/T tires that are on it now to wear out. The Lemans are good tires for the price, and since the 4wd has been working I haven't found anything that they couldn't handle (though I admit I don't wheel much if any). When/If I get those Grabbers I'll be going to a 32x11.5 on a 15x8 AR Outlaw II style wheel with a little less backspacing. It'll fill out the wheel openings a little without being to big, and should give me slightly more clearance and traction on the occasion I do go off-roading.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
BFG's are great tires. Everything in my driveway rolls on BFG's.They cost a little more,but then again you usually get what you pay for.and rember most of the lower price tires that look like a BFG are only 2 ply sidewalls, where a bfg is 3.

Im on my 2nd set of bfg a/t's on my superduty. first set had about 40,000 when I took them off,and still had about %25 left on them.Have about 15,000 on this set, and they look like new still.
very good tires in my opion for multi use truck...they ride nice, quiet, great grip on wet roads,do good in sand when aired down...

And for the wheel bearing, they do make a kit to get away from the sealed bearing units, cant rember who makes it, but its some bank, think was $1200.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fewer of us work on our own vehicles now too, so everybody else is still paying the same either way. It saves Ford money, and doesn't cost the average consumer much more. I don't like the idea either but about everything on the road is like that now.
+1

While I can repack wheel bearings in no time for little money, most people can't and will take it to the dealer or another shop to do it, and at that point it's easier for Ford to just throw on a hub assembly instead of taking the time to repack and service the wheel bearings.

I also think it has something to do with the fact that a lot of people weren't performing maintenance on their wheel bearings, and causing a lot of damage because of it.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
those generals are good tires but don't last as long as the BFG, i love mine, but my next tired will the the BFG MT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals