• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big problem. Dead engine?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 92 3.0 for a work truck. besides the usual problems when buying a used truck, the truck has been good for the most part.

Then yesterday i was driving down the road and it just died and wouldn't start. I checked to see what was wrong after towing it, and it had no spark. So i tested the coil, which was borderline on secondary resistance and replaced it hoping it to be the culprit. Nope.

Then i had someone turn the truck over with the cap off the dist and noted no movement on the rotor. So out comes the distributor. Now i see that the gear is about 1/2 sheared. Not a good sign. I pulled the gear off and put the shaft back into the hole and tried turning the oil pump. At first very easy and smooth then it started building resistance. i believe the oil pump seized causing the gear to shear, which lead to the no spark situation.

Basically i'm figuring it needs a complete rebuild since the oil pump appears to be what caused all the havoc. Anyone have any advice or experience in this particular situation?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hold up there!

I just bought a 92 3.0 for a work truck. besides the usual problems when buying a used truck, the truck has been good for the most part.

Then yesterday i was driving down the road and it just died and wouldn't start. I checked to see what was wrong after towing it, and it had no spark. So i tested the coil, which was borderline on secondary resistance and replaced it hoping it to be the culprit. Nope.

Then i had someone turn the truck over with the cap off the dist and noted no movement on the rotor. So out comes the distributor. Now i see that the gear is about 1/2 sheared. Not a good sign. I pulled the gear off and put the shaft back into the hole and tried turning the oil pump. At first very easy and smooth then it started building resistance. i believe the oil pump seized causing the gear to shear, which lead to the no spark situation.

Basically i'm figuring it needs a complete rebuild since the oil pump appears to be what caused all the havoc. Anyone have any advice or experience in this particular situation?
Turning the oil pump by hand will build up pressure to the point that you cannot turn it any longer..
There is a shear pin in the dist that usually shears when the pump fails.. I don't know of a pump that has failed and yet still builds pressure.
A sloppy, well worn distributor can cause the gear to shear all by itself.
Chances are HIGH that the camshaft gear is now of no value and will need to be replaced. HOWEVER I have seen several that tolorated such a mishap and continued in service.
I'd be for putting a magnet into the hole and seeing what came out. You may get away simply by installing a different dist from a junk yard..
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
hmm, that's food for thought. I was on the same line of thinking with the cam gear though. I'll take your advice and let you know what happens. thanks.

-edit- also there was a small groove in the dist shaft, but i didn't think it was anough to break a gear like it did. deep enough to catch a finger nail though. -edit-

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree. Usually the cam gear goes first, which causes the oil pump to stop. Atleast that's what's common on the newer distributorless 3.0's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals