• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blower motor/airflow

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I searched a bunch on here for the lack of airflow from the blower. truck is an 89 ranger it never has blown very hard from the vents. The heater core and evap core are newer repalced spring of 2015 so about a year old. old evap was plugged with leaves an such. I was excited thinking it would blow better. not so much it did help but not very much. so im thinking it has to be leaking out pressure in the ducting under the dash... has anyone been under there and know where the joints are to check before I end up pulling the whole dash. this all came back up after getting a new to me 92explorer running again and the blower will hold you in the seat it seems compared to my ranger weird considering they are the same system.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are the doors working properly. Have you pulled the blower motor maybe the wheel is real dirty or has alot of crap in it. All it takes is 1/16 inch buildup on the fins of the wheel to reduce air flow 50%. Pull the motor and give it a thorough inspection. If the blower is running real fast on high the ducting is probably stuffed up somewhere. A new resistor wouldnt hurt either give it a look also.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Another possibility is the wheel is spinning on the shaft just stuff to look at.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
One culprit I've seen for this more than once is the blower motor wired up backward causing the fan to spin the wrong direction.

Also if the foam seal between the blower housing outlet to the dash ductwork is missing/disintegrated could cause loss of airflow out the vents also (you should be able to see if this is the case by removing the glove box door).

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's all clean and spinning correctly. I redid the whole a/c midsummer time new heater core, evap core, blower, resistor. Had hoped it would better the vent pressure. I'm pretty sure its leaking under the dash. In the ductwork. Just don't know where all the foam junctions are to check. Might get time tomorrow to check things out.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I haven't taken apart a second gen Ranger heater box but the first and third gen were completely different...and the 92 I had was different from what I saw...but there isn't really much too them.

You may need to remove the dash to inspect it at that level and the good news is that it's not that hard to remove the dash on that year...just take your time.

The outside box connects to the inside using carriage bolts that tend to spin out easily so be careful if you need to remove anything from the firewall...which may be needed unless you can seal the box without removing it...

I used some of that red insulation seal tape on mine where I could get at it...and this was needed when I put the 96 dash into the 88 cab (including the 96 heater box)...it is fairly strong and seals really well...it even gives good support...pretty awesome stuff...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals