• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

boolit thread

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm just watching all this, and feeling a little better about getting into old Soviet firearms... 7.62x25, 9x18MAK, and 5.45x39 are some of the easiest to find out here. .223 has all but dried up, 9mm is almost impossible, and 7.62x39 is even getting spotty. Fleet Farm always has spam cans of 7.62x54 and 5.45x39, and sometimes the 7.62x39. Otherwise the local shop has a good amount of Bulgarian Tokarev ammo- some people I talk to online can't believe I'm finding Soviet calibres easier than standard, btu once in a while Walmart gets in 9mm or .45.
Same around here, Cabelas has one shelf the entire length of their rifle section that is only 7.62x54R. An endcap full of it in Herters on sale too. Hornaday, Privi, Herters... whatever tickles your fancy it is there. Not much for 7.62x39 though and they never had much 5.45 on a good day.

They also have a full shelf long display in the pistol section for the 7.72 Nagant revolver. :icon_rofl: It used to be almost like an easter egg hunt to find it there.

They are just filling up their shelves with it so they don't look as empty as they are. Not really for sure what the point of it is, I doubt there be a big run on the Nagant pistol ammo.

Most of the regular stuff is there but thin.

Really glad I went with a 30-06 vs the .308...

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Same around here, Cabelas has one shelf the entire length of their rifle section that is only 7.62x54R. An endcap full of it in Herters on sale too. Hornaday, Privi, Herters... whatever tickles your fancy it is there. Not much for 7.62x39 though and they never had much 5.45 on a good day.

Cabelas in Rogers and Owatonna have been disappointments as far as I'm concerned because they seem to cater primarily to AR fanboys wanting to be tacticool, with almost nothing for say, either of my AK platforms or my SKS. Granted, that was pre-panic though.

They also have a full shelf long display in the pistol section for the 7.72(It's actually 7.62x38R. I know quite a few people around here who either got one or are looking for one. I'm told by a few that .32 S&W shorts work, but accuracy can diminish and it won't seal properly when the cylinder moves forwards like the correct ammo.) Nagant revolver. :icon_rofl: It used to be almost like an easter egg hunt to find it there. (Gander mountain always seems to have some as well, and just about everywhere I've looked, they're about $100)

They are just filling up their shelves with it so they don't look as empty as they are. Not really for sure what the point of it is, I doubt there be a big run on the Nagant pistol ammo.

Most of the regular stuff is there but thin.

Really glad I went with a 30-06 vs the .308...
I wish I'd stockpiled more 7.92x57 for the Yugo M48.... now its surprisingly hard to find...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have an AR or AK (and likely won't for quite awhile the way things are going) so I don't pay much attention to that section. Mainlty bolt action, shotgun and blackpowder is what I have and they have a decent selection of stuff for them.

Cabela's (I claim the LaVista one as mine :D) is better across the board than than Bass Pro with gun stuff. I find it odd that if I want Federal deer slugs for my shotgun because that is pretty much all you can hunt deer with in Iowa I have to drive past Bass Pro in Council Bluffs Iowa and go to either Cabela's or Sheel's in Nebraska. They plain and simple do not stock one of the most popular deer slugs. :icon_confused:

Of course if I am on the ball it makes a lot more sense to buy they from K-Mart or Orchelen's here in town but sometimes I put it off too long and they sell out...

Dad has one of those Nagant pistols, it is neat... I would rather put the $150 towards something a little "nicer" though.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I found some 45 FMJ's..... $27.99 for 50! Dang

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i check at the stores when i'm in them (dicks, gander mtn, walmart, etc).....it's a waste of time IMO. i've been able to find any caliber i need at the gun shows i've gone to. prices arent too bad either as long as you buy bulk. .22 is still damn hard to find though.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm getting 250 rounds of .22lr this week. Well maybe, gotta wait and see what the price is for sure first.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Soooooooo glad we snagged a case of 5,000 .22LR last summer......

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm starting to see some of the popular calibers becoming available around here again... Only thing is, the prices are out of sight. Brick of 500 Remingtons are going for $60+, box of 50 rounds of .45acp is over $40, etc. Reloading stuff is almost nonexistant though. People are trying to sell brass for 3-4 times the price it was selling for a year ago.

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Things have loosened up here!

Saw Winchester 100 packs of 45 for $48 and 250 round UMC for $99. Saw a lot of 9mm and 40, but didn't pay attention to the price.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
walmart and dicks still dont have shit here.

going to a gun show in june to get a bulk pack of 9mm. i'd like more reloading stuff for my .308, but i'll wait and see if the pricing goes down before i buy more.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I showed up early at Sportsmans warehouse on ammo day and there was already a couple people in line. The first guy was giving me a bad vibe, eyes flashing around, sizing up people, looking at his watch and cellphone constantly, to well dressed, no doubt had a pistol concealed under his jacket(I could see the outline when he raised his arms to check his phone and his jacket tightened up) and something just above his right ankle. When they opened the doors this guy bolted in like black Friday straight to the ammo and was grabbing 9mm and AR ammo ect like it was the last food on earth. I followed this guy out just on a hunch and he was loading it into a van with US Government plates. DHS keeping the shelves clear!!!!!?:dunno:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I showed up early at Sportsmans warehouse on ammo day and there was already a couple people in line. The first guy was giving me a bad vibe, eyes flashing around, sizing up people, looking at his watch and cellphone constantly, to well dressed, no doubt had a pistol concealed under his jacket(I could see the outline when he raised his arms to check his phone and his jacket tightened up) and something just above his right ankle. When they opened the doors this guy bolted in like black Friday straight to the ammo and was grabbing 9mm and AR ammo ect like it was the last food on earth. I followed this guy out just on a hunch and he was loading it into a van with US Government plates. DHS keeping the shelves clear!!!!!?:dunno:
or DHS can't get ammo either? lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
or DHS can't get ammo either? lol
I doubt that.... it's been well documented that DHS and the TSA have been buying ammo by the boatload in recent years. They've also recently picked up number of APCs.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals