• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II rear seat delete/cargo area modifications

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just wondering if anyone has pictures of their Bronco II cargo area mods... rear seat delete is a bonus.

Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks for sharing thoughts or pictures.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Putting a big JoBox in mine within 7 days or so once I Have my body lift done. Yes, I had been doing a rear seat delete, BUT, I have a rear seat from some thing foreign that I am putting in there for 3 across seating and sleeping.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Putting a big JoBox in mine within 7 days or so once I Have my body lift done. Yes, I had been doing a rear seat delete, BUT, I have a rear seat from some thing foreign that I am putting in there for 3 across seating and sleeping.
Be sure to come back and show me what you've done... at 6'1" I somehow don't see myself sleeping on a seat.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
4x4junkie has some cool mods back there

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I actually forgot about the @4x4junkie build. I'm going to have to look that one up.

If I remember he went all in and has it really compartmentalized. Probably a bit further then I will go but everything he does is well done. I'm sure I can get some ideas.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled all the rear interior out of my 84. Boy what a job. there must be 8-10 of those large torx bolts holding down the seats and the seat belt assembly's. Several broken torx bits later I had about 2 or 3 out, the rest I had to drill the heads and chisel them off to finally get everything out.

When you take the side plastic pieces out, you can easily get to any rust in the quarters over the wheel wells. Once I get this fixed, I am going to put down carpet and put the side panels back in place to control road noise. I want to beef up the side panels somehow with some panelling or something on the backside to stiffen them up. The speakers mounted back there have zero bass response because the side panels are so floppy and do not mount the speakers solid.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've had about an hour or so to even play with the new to me Bronco II since it was delivered... the wife's honey do list seemed to grow on me a bit. That and she has a couple managers out with corona and people just don't want to work these days.. so I have been filling in helping her out. I hope to get time over the weekend to actually play around with the new truck.

I know I want a few tie downs for a dog crate and a cooler. I also went all in on the RIDGID tool storage boxes and crates about a year ago. I think one of the crates and the small tool box will hold necessary recovery gear and tool kit. Those will need to be tied down too.

I know I've spent most my life a bit disorganized... I would like to set this up so I at least appear to be organized.

@franklin2 the PO probably experienced what you went through. Thankfully this interior is pretty much new. I'm hoping it comes out fairly easy. It's been in a garage for 15 ears since he did it.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I just recently built these out of scrap wood. Not what you are looking for, but it gives me an excuse to post pics of my truck.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Fold um up ... Call it good. Seats are nice option.

We likely will be putting doors on and taking mud tires off....maybe I can get some pics. Normally my stuff is boxed and cross tied...but we had to scatter shit for rocky to have some padded real estate to ride with us ...

I used to have full half cab and integrated tool box...just enough room to lay in a 235 spare. Usually rolls on 33 radials.

You can buy the thin trailer diamond plate fairly cheap still and weld it in behind the panels or box it out. Makes a hell that f a difference structurally.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I just recently built these out of scrap wood. Not what you are looking for, but it gives me an excuse to post pics of my truck.
That pretty slick... I'm actually open to all options at this point. You post all the pics of your BII you want... I do hold you partially responsible for my purchase too.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Fold um up ... Call it good. Seats are nice option.

We likely will be putting doors on and taking mud tires off....maybe I can get some pics. Normally my stuff is boxed and cross tied...but we had to scatter shit for rocky to have some padded real estate to ride with us ...

I used to have full half cab and integrated tool box...just enough room to lay in a 235 spare. Usually rolls on 33 radials.

You can buy the thin trailer diamond plate fairly cheap still and weld it in behind the panels or box it out. Makes a hell that f a difference structurally.
There is a ton of room if you take the seats out. Plus the weight reduction helps the 2.8 out, it needs all the help it can get. I hear you about the extra seats, but I am building mine to be just like a regular ranger pickup. That's why I bought the BII, I was getting tired of no dry storage in my ranger regular cab pickup, so I started looking for a bed cap for it. I looked around, $300 and up for one once I did find them. Then I ran across this BII and got it for $500. It has a built in cap :)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Well....built in untill the first rollover ..

Then it just sort of keeps stuff dry in certain areas as long as it's not raining...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think I'm pretty set on taking the rear seats out.

In all the years I've driven a Ranger (1988)... I can count on one hand how many times I needed capacity for more then two people in the truck.

In an emergency to help someone out... they can just get in the back and I will drive slower.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
In an emergency to help someone out... they can just get in the back and I will drive slower.
Since Covid, I make 'em ride on top and hold onto the luggage rack, and I drive faster.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If I had the time, I think I would cut a piece of plywood to cover the entire rear area including where the seats were all the way up to behind the front seats. That would give you a flat cargo area. Then take 2 bys and build up from the floorboard behind the seats to close it in and support the plywood, and then cut the top of the plywood out and make a hinged door to open up to store stuff behind the front seats. It's a fairly deep area behind the front seats when you take the back seats out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals