• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II rear seat delete/cargo area modifications

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If I had the time, I think I would cut a piece of plywood to cover the entire rear area including where the seats were all the way up to behind the front seats. That would give you a flat cargo area. Then take 2 bys and build up from the floorboard behind the seats to close it in and support the plywood, and then cut the top of the plywood out and make a hinged door to open up to store stuff behind the front seats. It's a fairly deep area behind the front seats when you take the back seats out.
I was thinking of doing very similar to level the floor and create a storage space in the rear foot wells.

You're much further along then I... I will see what's there when I start the project.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I looked up 4x4 junkies build over at the Bronco Corral. He has a bunch going on with his. Super cool Bronco II for sure.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I looked up 4x4 junkies build over at the Bronco Corral. He has a bunch going on with his. Super cool Bronco II for sure.

Yeah...I hold Shawn's b2 as the gold platinum... palladium standard.

Just awesome.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
As much as I like to keep things original, I have to admit...I've had 2 Bronco 2's, I've carried a passenger in the back seat of my 88 Bronco 2 once...had 2 other people with me, so one had to ride in the back seat...he said there was plenty of room, the downfall is trying to get in and out of the back seat is a PITA....luckily the 2 passengers were teens so they're young enough and flexible enough to get back there and get back out...I'm only 39 and its a pain for me getting in and out of there and I'm only 6 feet tall and pretty skinny....the back seat in my current Bronco 2 has been folded down the past couple of years; I just carry a small tool kit, a bag with my trailer hitch and adapters in, and a few other things...mostly just use it for cargo space anyways. So I could see taking the back seat out would be nice for most people, and you'd probably free up 50 or so pounds of cargo capacity and have more room for other stuff besides....although I'm not sure what it looks like with the seats removed, with the seats folded down you have a nice flat area for storage, I think if you take the seats out you'd have to build it all back up to get a flat cargo area again, then again it would depend on the usage of the area that you have planned. I just keep the seats folded down and pretty happy with the space I have to haul stuff, the carpet in mine is trashed so throwing greasy, dirty stuff back there doesn't bother me...previous owner had a dog, or dogs so the carpet is pretty well destroyed. I thought about doing a restoration, but after just the engine/transmission fiasco the rest of it can stay as is, I may try and paint it at some point but it'll get painted 1 solid color, none of that nonsense 2 tone crap like it is now. Just haven't done it because I don't have the patience for doing the prep work involved LOL.

You don't have much in the way of headroom in stock form either, so trying to build anything up inside for storage is pretty limited if you wanted to do a storage build and then use the top of that for a sleeping area, I'm not sure I'd fit back there, maybe laying at an angle I've never tried it....I was able to in my Jeep, but not sure I'd fit in the Bronco 2...I think I'd prefer a tent at that point anyways LOL.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
If I had the time, I think I would cut a piece of plywood to cover the entire rear area including where the seats were all the way up to behind the front seats. That would give you a flat cargo area. Then take 2 bys and build up from the floorboard behind the seats to close it in and support the plywood, and then cut the top of the plywood out and make a hinged door to open up to store stuff behind the front seats. It's a fairly deep area behind the front seats when you take the back seats out.
That is how my rig currently is. But I don't have to build the floor up...the cross bar for the cage rail goes under there...I just pull the board up..tools...oil.... gallons of coolant ect are under there and in the wheel Wells.

Not sure if we will get a cap made...likely just put a wall up this winter so I have wheels.

But I have a herd of grand kids so I want more seats.

Our first bronco 2,s were always packed with kids... And I want the b2 and ranger to be at least 4 seaters...way more fun.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
As much as I like to keep things original, I have to admit...I've had 2 Bronco 2's, I've carried a passenger in the back seat of my 88 Bronco 2 once...had 2 other people with me, so one had to ride in the back seat...he said there was plenty of room, the downfall is trying to get in and out of the back seat is a PITA....luckily the 2 passengers were teens so they're young enough and flexible enough to get back there and get back out...I'm only 39 and its a pain for me getting in and out of there and I'm only 6 feet tall and pretty skinny....the back seat in my current Bronco 2 has been folded down the past couple of years; I just carry a small tool kit, a bag with my trailer hitch and adapters in, and a few other things...mostly just use it for cargo space anyways. So I could see taking the back seat out would be nice for most people, and you'd probably free up 50 or so pounds of cargo capacity and have more room for other stuff besides....although I'm not sure what it looks like with the seats removed, with the seats folded down you have a nice flat area for storage, I think if you take the seats out you'd have to build it all back up to get a flat cargo area again, then again it would depend on the usage of the area that you have planned. I just keep the seats folded down and pretty happy with the space I have to haul stuff, the carpet in mine is trashed so throwing greasy, dirty stuff back there doesn't bother me...previous owner had a dog, or dogs so the carpet is pretty well destroyed. I thought about doing a restoration, but after just the engine/transmission fiasco the rest of it can stay as is, I may try and paint it at some point but it'll get painted 1 solid color, none of that nonsense 2 tone crap like it is now. Just haven't done it because I don't have the patience for doing the prep work involved LOL.

You don't have much in the way of headroom in stock form either, so trying to build anything up inside for storage is pretty limited if you wanted to do a storage build and then use the top of that for a sleeping area, I'm not sure I'd fit back there, maybe laying at an angle I've never tried it....I was able to in my Jeep, but not sure I'd fit in the Bronco 2...I think I'd prefer a tent at that point anyways LOL.
Look at this guy...bragging about fancy smancy carpet.........even upgraded it with dirt, grease, and dog hair .... Well at least I have dirt and dawg hairz

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
It's still raininzz...I just pulled it in off the street for the night

KIMG0691.JPG
KIMG0690.JPG
KIMG0692.JPG

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Tell you another idea I have had. Backstory;

My BII is a 84, it has the aluminum trim around the side rear windows. Well apparently in some sort of previous accident the pass side window was broken. Found little bits of glass when doing my tear down, and someone put the later style rubber only window in it and did not do a very good job of it. It looks bad with some sealer visible on the outside, but it doesn't leak.

I have been searching, not very hard, for a 84 (maybe 85 also?) that would have the trim I need. Not sure if I could take the rubber out, glue the window in place, and put the new found trim back in to match the other side.

I said all the above to give the back story to me contemplating taking one or both of the side windows out all together. Filling the hole with a piece of formed sheetmetal, then cutting the center out to fit a sliding window like in a RV, or a hinged up door/window like in those contractor bed caps. If I could get around any leaking issues, it would make access to the rear cargo area great. I think I could paint the formed metal I make to cover the opening black, and most people would not notice the difference between it and the original window, except the additional opening in the sides for access.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I have seen that done with vans and explorers and jeeps

And zip in plastic windows and screens.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
4x4junkie has some cool mods back there

Yeah...I hold Shawn's b2 as the gold platinum... palladium standard.

Just awesome.
Thanks guys.
I've made a few updates since that page on BII Corral was written (64" Chevy rear leafs, an onboard welder, and ditching those god-awful Goodyear MT-Rs, among some other littler stuff that can be found on my BII build page), however since then I haven't really had any major updates for a couple years now (currently it rides on General Grabber X3 tires... them are heavy mofo's too, nice thick sidewalls).

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
This is one of my 85 BIIs. Rear seat delete. She had a huge crack on the rear gate from someone prior to me hitting the spare tire mount. I had a spare gate from a rig with inside spare mount and swapped it out, but with inside spare there is not cut out for the exterior type spare mount. So I made a new rack inside using seat bolt locations to mount to the floor. This pic is before I had a rim for the spare so if you notice it’s just laying on the mount.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is one of my 85 BIIs. Rear seat delete. She had a huge crack on the rear gate from someone prior to me hitting the spare tire mount. I had a spare gate from a rig with inside spare mount and swapped it out, but with inside spare there is not cut out for the exterior type spare mount. So I made a new rack inside using seat bolt locations to mount to the floor. This pic is before I had a rim for the spare so if you notice it’s just laying on the mount.
I'm kinda over the swing out carriers... at least on a driver. The one I built for my pick up is a pain in the arse.

That there opened my mind to actually putting the spare inside. At some point I would like to do a hoop behind the front seats... maybe I build my tire carrier off that?

I'm drawing blanks on how the factory mounted the spare on these without the swing out carrier? Any of your rigs have that option?

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Could you use the full-size mount on the inside of the LH rear wheel well? That has one factory tool box on that side and 2 on the right. Could fab one or cut the tube off flip it 180, weld back and catch the inner fender in front with the short side.

Side note... Actually really like that idea :)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I like the idea of the spare standing upright... sure would take up less floor space.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I had a BII with interior mounted spare but I never saw a spare attached. I have to speculate it was for a doughnut type spare. It had an extra bracket mounted behind the interior panel driver side behind the wheel well with an additional bracket on the outside the panel to secure the spare. I was going to scavenge it for my other rig but it was so low and small my 235x75 15 wouldn’t even fit. Strange the rear hatch didn’t have the cut away around the upper hinge where the swing out type mounts. I used the door on another rig that I removed the swing arm from. Here’s a pic. The mount I made bolts to the old rear seat mount locations. A couple more pics. Truck with interior spare has since been crushed by a falling tree. Took all the parts I wanted and sent it to recycling

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals