• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buggy spring suspension

danger03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone here ever built buggy spring suspension on a ranger? I have seen a lot of friends do it on toyotas but not anything else. It adds a lot of flex and lifts the rear end up a little bit. Reading the leaf spring rebuild reminded me of this.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Id think a 3/4 eliptical would handle weird on the road, since both springs would be compressing.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HUH??? I gotta ask just because I don't know what "buggy springs" are. If I was to guess, I would think someone was robbing Uncle Jeds horse drawn carriage.

Jrod-13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it works good on the RTI ramp, and thats about it... It just adds uncontroled droop..

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
it works good on the RTI ramp, and thats about it... It just adds uncontroled droop..
X2. Waste of time, it'll only make it unpredictable off-road and even worse mannered on the street. Too much flex is worse than not enough. Just use a good set of leaves and you'll be way happier. Buggy springs often add to any axle wrap too. Just so many negatives I can't stop. Thought they were cool until I saw them in action on my friend's truck on the trail.

Lockers and good gearing is a way better place to spend your time and money.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It can be very effective but it certainly has drawbacks. If the truck is street driven the 1/4 eliptical needs to be constrained or you will get extreme nosedive during braking and really weird body roll on cornering. It's not too difficult making it work on a toyota or jeep as the frames are box section and the springs are in line with them. I don't know how you could do it effectively (and safely) on a ranger as the springs are offset from the frame.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I.... If the truck is street driven the 1/4 eliptical needs to be constrained or you will get extreme nosedive during braking and really weird body roll on cornering. It's not too difficult making it work on a toyota or jeep as the frames are box section and the springs are in line with them. ...
Yes, they should be restrained on the street for handling and safety. On the trail they are unnecessary...flex is over-rated.

danger03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all your inputs. I did not think that the springs are not under the frame. But i do't think that i will do it. too many negatives on it. Thanks for the help.

McDerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Leave the old shackle hanger and the buggies will tuck inside it.

They work better on lighter rigs. Theres down pressure on it from the top spring. about double the pressure on the top for the number of leafs then for the bottom if it had the same.

The top is half the length in turn doubling the rate, but normally 1/4 as many leafs, so its got about 1/2 the spring rate as the normal spring pack. So in theory you'd want some long soft high arched springs, and they should ride flat when loaded with the vehicles weight. In addition you'd want the springs rates of the 1/2 elliptical (Bottom pack) and that of the 1/4 elliptical (top pack) to be the same rate and turn placing the same amount of load downward on the tire at 30" of travel as a 1/2 elliptical system with teh same springs would at 15" of travel.

In turn you'd be having a much smaller truck with much less lift then more comparable rigs, due to the suspension design and function. Unfortunately this isn't the case in most of these setups and you get abnormal results.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm still wondering what the hell "buggy springs" are. Seriously, someone wanna throw me a bone here!

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, that just defies every thread of common sense I have ever had in my mind. Why on GODS GREEN earth would someone wanna do that? That's just BEGGING for problems! I can see some poor sap cruising down the road and taking out a bus stop or something. Can anyone say "LAW SUIT"????

dirtraider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, that just defies every thread of common sense I have ever had in my mind. Why on GODS GREEN earth would someone wanna do that? That's just BEGGING for problems! I can see some poor sap cruising down the road and taking out a bus stop or something. Can anyone say "LAW SUIT"????
since you've seen all of 4 pictures of the set up, care to enligten us why its such a bad idea?

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats a wacky setup

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From what I can see in the pictures... (remember here, I'm visually impaired) . How would you stop the spring osolations??? you have one spring working against the other... There is nothing holding the rear of the leafs in place other than another leaf. I can sit here and look at the pictures and VIVIDLY imagine someone applying the brakes and the truck doing some funky nose stand... and the "coup de gras"... Imagine if you will, the driver of that vehicle ascending a steep grade...hits the brakes because he or she is going too fast. Odds are, that truck is gonna wanna go ass over tea kettle to the bottom of said grade all because the "suspension" unloaded. Where ever you look at that ass o nine design, it spells disaster. I think it's safe to say that I'm not the only one out here with some sense of safety. I know I have done some crazy... maybe even insane things in my short time on the face of the earth... but if I did something like that, coming from a mechanical background and working in the field, I WOULD be stripped of ANY papers I have and taken to the nearest insane asylum and left there to ROT! PEOPLE... VOICE YOUR OPINION!!! IF THIS LOOKS ABSOLUTELY DANGEROUS, PLEASE SAY SO!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals