• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C5 to C4 trans conversion in Bronco II . . info

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have an '84 BII. It was an auto, so fortunately they came with a C5. When I went to a V8 in the truck, I changed the original C5 to a C4. That has been written about . . don't want to rehash the facts there. I did a standard 2 year swap :icon_rofl: Serious, this April is 2 years. I started two years ago, have been able to drive it for a while now, but mostly let it sit. The original C5 trans only had 59K miles on it and worked perfectly. When I first drove it after the engine swap, it worked fine, but the 2-3 shift had a flare that wasn't there when the 2.8 was still in the truck. I didn't drive it much . . wanted to figure out the problem. When I switched to an adjustable modulator, that helped. But still, it was a bandaid . . not right. The C5s have an "O" servo. I had an "A" servo here and made the swap . . finally. Well that did it. The shifts are perfect again. So I'm posting this because perhaps someone else will find this fix if they have a problem. Whether or not every C5 converted should/would need this mod . . . . not sure. But at least here is one situation that it did.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks.

Richard

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
I hope you also put a C4 V8 valve body into it.

Yes, the "O" servo is cute. It needs at least an "A" C4 V8 servo.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
What would be turning a C5 into a C4 if the VB wasn't changed???

RANGERROD

November 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also bell housings are different and torque converters. Thanks for the info I'm having flare issues on my c5-c4 tranny. Guess its time to get a good servo.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well sure the bell housing and TC had to be changed , going from a 2.8 to SBF. However, one piece of info I see a lot that is wrong is that the TC is a lock up type originally. No it isn't , not in the 2.8 truck application. Not that it makes any difference once to switch to SBF C4 components, but just something I see a lot that is inaccurate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals