• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

could this work.......

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
think you could turn a D35 into a solid axle? it would have to be cheaper than putting a EB D44, or a full-width or narrowing a full-width in order to be a good idea. i dont know how much it costs to do any of those, but i've been thinking about this a while

you'd need a welder, new axle tubes, new axles, coil spring mounts, shock mounts and a new radius arm connection to the axle (something early bronco-ish) a diff cover would also need to be made, i was thinking something like the ruff-stuff covers.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/ford-88-38-differential-cover-p-180.html

people spend $500 for extended radius arms for more flex, i think this could be done for about that too, maybe a tad more, opinions?

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
i think it would be easier and cheaper to just do the swap

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
:icon_confused:

Instead of all that work... why not MAKE your own extended radius arms??? Would cost about $40-50 and would be far easier than figuring out what miracle is needed to attach steel tubes to an aluminum housing that has no sockets for the tubes to press into.

Nice drawing though :icon_thumby:

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

Nice sketch!

Uh That is alot of work. i have little doubt that it wont work what i do doubt is all of that work going to be worth it?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
While its a fun idea, I can't for the life of me imagine that this would be LESS work than narrowing a full size axle.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:

Instead of all that work... why not MAKE your own extended radius arms??? Would cost about $40-50 and would be far easier than figuring out what miracle is needed to attach steel tubes to an aluminum housing that has no sockets for the tubes to press into.

Nice drawing though :icon_thumby:
yeah, that's what i meant.....make your own arms, something early bronco-ish.... i was just pointing out that people are willing to drop $500 (or more) for extended radius arms, so i didnt see why someone would be opposed to spending around that to convert their d35 to a straight axle.

if i ever get the means ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) to try it, i'll def give it a try, just gotta win the lottery first

While its a fun idea, I can't for the life of me imagine that this would be LESS work than narrowing a full size axle.
yeah i know, but then throw into the mix that you gotta get new gears, new install kit, pay someone to put it in if you cant........i dont know, it's just something i've been throwing around in my head for the last few months.

Last edited:

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Stick a Dana 30 under it if you think the 44 would be too much$$$. They are everywhere and the right width.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
yeah, that's what i meant.....make your own arms, something early bronco-ish.... i was just pointing out that people are willing to drop $500 (or more) for extended radius arms, so i didnt see why someone would be opposed to spending around that to convert their d35 to a straight axle.
Why convert it at all? It's been proven numerous times already a straight axle isn't what's needed to go offroad or have flex... :dunno:

Agreed on narrowing the fullsize axle if you absolutely must...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a degree in industrial design, i try to invent, rebuild or improve anything and everything I possibly can, putting it up on here gives me good feedback

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Why convert it at all? It's been proven numerous times already a straight axle isn't what's needed to go offroad or have flex
hasn't been proven to me yet. any links for my education?

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pm gwaii, he turned a ttb into a solid axle

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
hasn't been proven to me yet. any links for my education?
These should help...
my BII Cardomain page
Todd's Cardomain page (though he did eventually switch to 1-tons due to wanting big tractor tires and needed a stronger setup, not because his TTB didn't work though)
Joel H is another one that proved the solid axle is passé
Will here also has a decent setup too, though I'm not sure whatever happened to his truck page (link is broken).
There's been several others I know too.

Should be quite a bit of good reading in the Suspensions sections here if you dig around (also in the Tech Library too).
hint: Its about your springs, length of your shocks, and the length of the arms for flex, not so much it being a solid beam axle or not. It is true however you won't get much performance out of most non-straightaxle setups by bolting old-tech aftermarket parts onto it, so a little tweaking is usually necessary. Fortunately most of what's needed has been pretty well-documented here (look up "jeep coils" to start).

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
These should help...
my BII Cardomain page
Todd's Cardomain page (though he did eventually switch to 1-tons due to wanting big tractor tires and needed a stronger setup, not because his TTB didn't work though)
Joel H is another one that proved the solid axle is passé
Will here also has a decent setup too, though I'm not sure whatever happened to his truck page (link is broken).
There's been several others I know too.

Should be quite a bit of good reading in the Suspensions sections here if you dig around (also in the Tech Library too).
hint: Its about your springs, length of your shocks, and the length of the arms for flex, not so much it being a solid beam axle or not. It is true however you won't get much performance out of most non-straightaxle setups by bolting old-tech aftermarket parts onto it, so a little tweaking is usually necessary. Fortunately most of what's needed has been pretty well-documented here (look up "jeep coils" to start).
oh, so you have nothing new to share with the class? "independant (and ttb) vs solid" is a debate that will rage on till armageddon. they both have their uses. like trophy trucks that use both on one truck (but the front has no drive). neither is "better" unless i ask you or copykat. and i suspect there is a reason that a vast majority of the vehicles with the most flex are doing it with a solid axle (and i don't think its because you and copykat know something they don't)

you don't criticize a hammer for not turning screws very well, much like you don't criticize a screwdriver for not hitting-in nails very well

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
oh, so you have nothing new to share with the class? "independant (and ttb) vs solid" is a debate that will rage on till armageddon. they both have their uses. like trophy trucks that use both on one truck (but the front has no drive). neither is "better" unless i ask you or copykat. and i suspect there is a reason that a vast majority of the vehicles with the most flex are doing it with a solid axle (and i don't think its because you and copykat know something they don't)

you don't criticize a hammer for not turning screws very well, much like you don't criticize a screwdriver for not hitting-in nails very well
Ok, so what exactly is your point? :rolleyes:

I said a solid axle isn't required to have flex. What are you trying to say, that it is? I'm sorry but if you had clicked those links, you would've seen it's not.

Edit:
Geez, I forgot all about this one lol (and it's not even a Ford, it's a .... :eek: Jeep!!)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals