• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

could this work.......

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how about a break from the pissing match.....

88_eddie, i think the simplest way to do this is to break away from the round tube axle housing. you already have axle "c's" in a rectangular housing with the mounts for coils and radius arms. although i would go ahead and upgrade to dana 44 outers for the better bearing spacing and hub choices.

bascially, cut off the beams where they attach to the frame, and connect those parts together with box steel.

the tricky part will be finding the right shaft for the passenger side

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i'm interested to see how gwaii did it, does he have a build thead? did he just shorten it?

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm interested to see how gwaii did it, does he have a build thead? did he just shorten it?

i think he is still running the axle, maybe he will chime in and post some pics.

i also think he left the passenger side axle as a "2-piece" with the u-joint in the middle. i may be wrong though.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Geez, I forgot all about this one lol (and it's not even a Ford, it's a .... :eek: Jeep!!)
yeah i saw that one a while back. took a lot of doin'. don't get me wrong ttb is really functional, and was years ahead of its time and i'm not challenging its functionality. all of those weak-points just lead me to believe that a ttb 44 would inherently be weaker than a solid 44 :dunno: and if ttb would be as strong as a rockwell all of the extreme conversions would use it instead. (that is what i meant)

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i think he is still running the axle, maybe he will chime in and post some pics.

i also think he left the passenger side axle as a "2-piece" with the u-joint in the middle. i may be wrong though.
this seems like an awesome opportunity to eliminate that u-joint :dunno:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC, he eliminated the pivots, but I know it has some sort of weird linked setup. I don't think there is a build thread, but if one exists somewhere I'd sure like to see it. It's got some weird combo of like 4 transmissions and 3 transfer cases.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i saw that one a while back. took a lot of doin'. don't get me wrong ttb is really functional, and was years ahead of its time and i'm not challenging its functionality. all of those weak-points just lead me to believe that a ttb 44 would inherently be weaker than a solid 44 :dunno: and if ttb would be as strong as a rockwell all of the extreme conversions would use it instead. (that is what i meant)

I doubt your claim that a TTB version of any axle is weaker than it's straight counterpart.

The reason everyone uses rockwells for 'extreme conversions' (not sure what that is) is simply availability. It's a lot cheaper/easier to duplicate/modify an existing part than it is to completely fab up all the parts for a new center chunk, arms, gears, u-joints, etc.

As for why the TTB never had any use in 'large' applications like rockwells do? Because on a 'large' application, ride quality isn't as much of an issue (if at all).

And yes, TTB DOES work just fine offroad. So does a straight axle. It's mostly due to driver skill either way :icon_thumby:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you already have axle "c's" in a rectangular housing with the mounts for coils and radius arms....

...bascially, cut off the beams where they attach to the frame, and connect those parts together with box steel.
this is what i was thinking when i opened the thread. i remember someone else had this thought at one point. i dont remember if anything ever came of it though.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
how about a break from the pissing match.....

88_eddie, i think the simplest way to do this is to break away from the round tube axle housing. you already have axle "c's" in a rectangular housing with the mounts for coils and radius arms. although i would go ahead and upgrade to dana 44 outers for the better bearing spacing and hub choices.

bascially, cut off the beams where they attach to the frame, and connect those parts together with box steel.

yeah, I thought of that as well, and yeah, you could replace the middle ujoint, but i think it would be fine to leave it too.....and cheaper

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my turn...the axle shafts from the ttb d50 were retained as they were.i simply made some brackets to tie the ttb arms together into one unit.why?because i had the parts,couldn't afford a d60,and wanted more flex.look to the left,those are the results.by the way,i now have my d60.the tied ttb was never intended to be a permanent fixture,just something to keep me going till i got what i wanted.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's got some weird combo of like 4 transmissions and 3 transfer cases.
close....it's actually 3 tranmissions and 2 t-cases.but still weird.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I doubt your claim that a TTB version of any axle is weaker than it's straight counterpart.
if we're speaking in superboly (sp?) i just can't wrap my head around the concept that a diff with twice as many u-joints. and 2 entirely additional integral pivot-points, tying together what is for all intents and purposes a 2-piece differential having equal strength :icon_confused:

and btw what vehicle did a ttb d50 come in?

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
if we're speaking in superboly (sp?) i just can't wrap my head around the concept that a diff with twice as many u-joints. and 2 entirely additional integral pivot-points, tying together what is for all intents and purposes a 2-piece differential having equal strength :icon_confused:

and btw what vehicle did a ttb d50 come in?
One additional u-joint (which is never put to the same angle extremes as the knuckle joints anyway, so should be less likely to fail because of that).

The beam pivots have nothing to do with the strength of the shafts or diff, though I do tend to think in the case of the D44 TTB, the beam housings are a bit less sturdy than the round tube structure of the straight axle version. Though this isn't something a little plating to box the beams up can't fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals