• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 swap for taller gears?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So I have been looking for 3.08 gears for my D28. I have not yet found any. So if I was to swap to a D35, could I find some 3.08s for it? It seems in OEM form, 3.27s were the tallest gear installed in an Explorer. If I am wrong say so. But I see that a 3.08 D35 gear set was made. I'm not a 4X4 guy, so what is possible is only known to me by what I can search for on the web. I want the tallest gears I can get in my BII since it is street driven. Hell, I'd wet my pants for a set of 2.73s :icon_rofl: . . but I don't think that is a possibility. So will it be easier for me to find some 3.08s in a D35 size and just swap the axle to run them??

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The 93 ranger came with 3.27's. Mine did anyway. Its 4.0 5spd. I don't think you find a 3.08 for 4x4, its just not practical. Th equivalent of lowering the gear number is bigger tires. With my 3.55 and 33 inch tires. My speedo is dead on, and eliminates that 10% variance built in by the manufacturer.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Listen, I know exactly what I am doing. Been in the automotive field for longer than maybe you have been alive. They did make 3.08s, just difficult to find.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i dont think youre gonna find reverse cut d35 gears that tall, probably only 3.27, stick with the d28 if all you want is the tallest gear. look in early to mid 80's rangers and b2's.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
That is what I am looking for. I have been looking, advertising etc, for 2 years now. Can't find any.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Then just go with 3.27's , are they really going to make that much of a difference for the effort put in?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
if you only drive it on the street just gear the rear to death and forget you have a front end.
I tried looking around the only aftermarket gear i cam up with kept showing the IRS 28 but thats independant rear.

I don't think i understand what exactly it is you wish to accomplish by achieving this (pinnacle) junk 3.08 gear ratio. Why wouldn't you be sattisfied with running a tall narrow tire that equals the exact same final ratio? It would feel the same........ no power and the motor would lug all the time and not use the transmission probably resulting in worse gas mileage anywas, itd be great.

Yeah if you swap diffs i bet you can get way higher gears than a measely 2.73.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I want 3.08s. The 3.27s would not be a big enough difference from the 3.45s now. I don't want taller tires, I built what I have now because I like it and want it this way. All I want to do is lower the cruise RPMs as much as I can. If taller gears were available, which they are not, I would go for 2.73s in a heartbeat. Guys, I'm a retired Auto Instructor and I now do restoration work only for my business. I build cars and some bikes for customers. I know what I need for myself in this case. I don't need anyone to try and explain the differences etc, I taught this stuff for 30 years. I can do all the math in my head :icon_idea: I know what I want; but cannot find it. I know it's out there.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I want 3.08s. The 3.27s would not be a big enough difference from the 3.45s now. I don't want taller tires, I built what I have now because I like it and want it this way. All I want to do is lower the cruise RPMs as much as I can. If taller gears were available, which they are not, I would go for 2.73s in a heartbeat. Guys, I'm a retired Auto Instructor and I now do restoration work only for my business. I build cars and some bikes for customers. I know what I need for myself in this case. I don't need anyone to try and explain the differences etc, I taught this stuff for 30 years. I can do all the math in my head :icon_idea: I know what I want; but cannot find it. I know it's out there.
Good luck with that. :icon_rofl:

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems to me that you really don't know what your doing. Good luck!!! :icon_rofl:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what I'm doing?? You guys are funny. Because I'm looking for a rare gear set?? Jeesh kids, stay to your bikes.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems to me that you really don't know what your doing. Good luck!!! :icon_rofl:
He is basically trying to get overdrive without an overdrive transmission.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well you are sorta right, 3.08 : 1 hardly is overdrive. But if you had say 4.10:1 gears and had a 70% OD, your final drive ratio would be 2.87:1 . . so I could get close :) Hell 3:00 gears is probably the most common gear ratio ever used in an automobile. I'm just trying to get as close to an OD as I can. I'd love to have OD, but thats a huge can of worms, keeping the 4wd etc. When I was a kid, if you had a 3.50 :1 rear you had a performance gear. With tires of the time, you turned in the 2500 - 2800 RPM at 55 or so. So with my 3.45s, I'm in the same ballpark. Really don't need that with a V8, just like to chug down the road as low as I can. I have a F100 that I have 2.73 gears in it and an OD transmission. Wanna talk about barely running at 60 mph. But Ford put many 2.73 gears in Mustang GTs in the 80s that had a 68% OD. Cruise down the highway a 1500 RPM !! But the engines were efficient that low and they gave 24-26 MPG, even with a carb. Thanks, you get it 85_Ranger

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He is basically trying to get overdrive without an overdrive transmission.
I read his post, i see where hes going with it. i just think he needs to tone it down a lil when he is the one asking for help. People may wana help more you know. These guys are just trying to help.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'm not asking for help, I'm asking for parts. Some people what to "tell" me what I should be doing . . don't need that. I want parts. If you have no parts, don't reply.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals