• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 swap for taller gears?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, you get it 85_Ranger
I see what you are getting at... wouldn't say I would "get it" though.

I would just go to an OD trans, not kill the bottom end and forget about chasing unicorn gear ratios. :dntknw:

I will agree going to an OD trans is a huge can of worms though, I wish I would have went that route from the start. I hate redoing things...

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have been looking for 3.08 gears for my D28. I have not yet found any. So if I was to swap to a D35, could I find some 3.08s for it? It seems in OEM form, 3.27s were the tallest gear installed in an Explorer. If I am wrong say so. But I see that a 3.08 D35 gear set was made. I'm not a 4X4 guy, so what is possible is only known to me by what I can search for on the web. I want the tallest gears I can get in my BII since it is street driven. Hell, I'd wet my pants for a set of 2.73s :icon_rofl: . . but I don't think that is a possibility. So will it be easier for me to find some 3.08s in a D35 size and just swap the axle to run them??
Maybe you forgot what you posted! :icon_rofl: Hmmmmm????

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It's a huge can because
1) I have a V8 (not that I would want an A4LD anyway)
2) it's 4WD if it wasn't ,then no trouble at all . . I'd have a T5 in it.
3) it's carburetted . . AOD wan't used with a V8 and 4WD, by the time the V8 was in the Explorer, it was an AOD-E . . which just means more hassle and more money.
4) It's an automatic . . more stick options, but don't need the real heavy duty stuff, this is just to play on the street.
5) I don't drive it much anyway. It's not a daily driver, it's not even first on the playlist, not even second or third :) So not worth doing a tremendous amount of work or dumping a bunch of money. Easiest, it a set of gears . er . . two sets. But the rears I have already. You are talking a couple hours to set up the two differentials. To me, That's worth it, I'll do that.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
No didn't forget that at all, but by the FIRST reply, that was over and all talk was about the D28 . . looksie yourself.

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see this is useless trying to get you to treat your fellow TRS members with respect. Good luck with your project.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'm here to teach ,when I need to, and find parts. Thanks

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
See you obviously do not read do you? That is it bothers me most. Somebody feels like they need to make statements they have no business making, and they don't even read for proper comprehension. I have had hundreds like you in class. quick to make large statements, but never read enough to make proper ones. But I did my time, but I still teach daily. . . to people that want to learn and know how to learn. But for you . . go back and read post #8.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well good luck on your search. sure they have been made but for your sake i hope they haven't been junked already!

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
We know you stated your a master technician. We just don't believe in being rude or taking someone's word on their own greatness.

I actually called a cpl gear shops and was hunting information ie: parts. Even if they all call me back Monday with 3.08 gears for a Dana 28 ill thank them for their time and mumble abt a mistake on diffs.

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive read it all, its just your attitude that gets me!! You need to learn better people skills my fellow TRS member!!! Again good luck finding your gears and i set gears up all the time so if i come across any 3.08s ill let you know.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Actually had someone contact me from another forum saying he had just junked a Ranger 4WD with 3.08s :) Said he didn't see my request until after it was gone .. . oh well nothing to do but laugh right?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hey, look more at my posts across the internet. They are all PetesPonies, easy to find them. I help a lot of people. My attitude is directly controlled by the people at the other end. I stand on that.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Frank, I never said master technician. I said I have a restoration business now (have been running that for over 20 years ) and was an Auto Instructor; retired ( 30 years as Tech Instructor, 20 years in Auto, 10 years in Engineering and Architecture ). No reason to make stuff up :)

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So if other people control your attitude, that means you have no self control. Wait, what am i doing? This is TRS not anger management. Glad you have helped people.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals