• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
I used an A4LD shifter (Stamped right on it) on my FM146 without modifying it. The A4LD, M50D, and FM146 trannys are all the same length(28.687") hence the shifters are interchangeable when using the BW1350 case and I'm assuming the BW1354 is no different. I've also used a C4 shifter on a TK4 and they work with no modification as both trannys are 24" long. The TK5 is 25.937" and the FM 145 is about 26.5" so I would bet they too would interchange. Every shifter I have has the tranny stamped on it, but as long as the tranny you are using is the same length as the tranny the shifter came off you can use it. RB
i am using a fm-146 sourced 1354 shifter on an m5od with no probs

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
progress

cut and capped ends

ready for paint

primed

painted

installed

hangs a bit lower than my sliders but not near as far as my jank ass radius arm brackets. can't wait to SAS this baby to get rid of those things

and here's a pic from when it was with my stock t-case/gas tank. I guess it's not really any lower than what it was

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Very impressive dude......

I gotta couple questions though for ya....

Did you use the stock fuel lines for yur pump, or did you have to extend them? What did you do with that?

Also, where yur case mounts to the crossmember, do you have some sort of bushing in there or is it a solid mount type deal? If I had a decent video card to view the pics, I prolly wouldn't have to ask this question, but since the video card sucks, I gotta ask.....If you said something bout it in the post, sorry, but I didn't catch it.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no prob man, there is a lot of pics lol

I had to extend my fuel lines. outside the tank, both the feed and return lines are 5/16" line. I got a barbed connector to connect the stock lines to the 5/16" fuel line I got and clamped. just insert the barbed fitting into the stock lines, clamp, then slide the new line over the other end of the fitting and clamp. can't remember exactly how long I had to extend it but I think I bought 5 or 6 ft of fuel line just to be safe.

inside the tank the feed line is 3/8" and the return is 5/16" solid tube. I had to cut ~4" out of the tube and connect with the 3/8" and 5/16" fuel line I bought.

the case is mounted to the supporting crossmember via an energy suspensions poly transmission mount. there was a couple ways I could've done it but I wanted to use a mount that will resist the same forces my stock tranny mount would to prevent any unnecessary binding.

thanks for the compliments. its coming along, slowly but surely. I'm hoping to get some progress done this weekend as well, I'll post pics if I make any progress

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good. You need tires though. Buy Wirsch's 34's. :icon_idea:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have those 33" LTB's up for sale. PM me if you might be interested. CHEAP!!!!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know my tires are gettin pretty bad. I'm hopin to get some new meats by the end of summer. I think I'd like to stay with radials though. but the 34's would be perfect, I wanna step up to a 34 or 35 now that I have the gear to run em.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Get a hold of him, he's willing to make you a smokin' deal on the brand new set of four. :D I'd like to get rid of the rims that were on the Ranger too, for cheap.

If it were me, I'd buy them and a set of rims to just through on when you get to Attica/Cliffs, etc. Since you DD that truck, it would make sense to have a set of streetish tires and a second set for wheeling.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's not too bad an idea really. I've got 2 sets of rims already, my old alloy ones and the steelies I've got on now. if I weren't in need of new 'street' tires I'd probably do it, but since I'm gonna fork over the cash for new tires anyways I may as well get radial swampers and call it good. I'll keep the offer in mind though.

I dunno if I'll get too much done this weekend. pretty busy with graduation and mother's day stuff. though since school is now over I can start working through the week without having to worry about homework. I found a bitchin shift knob I wanna use for the doubler shifter. I messaged the guy for some dimensions. if its not to big I'm gonna buy it, and yep, you guys are gonna have to wait till its installed to see it :D

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I heard back from the seller and it's 4.5" tall. that's a bit tall but I think I can make it work, I just placed the order. should be here in 2-3 business days.

dabomb5756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At first i thought that crossmember was real low, then i saw those radius arms lol. Looks good though man.
You said you are plannin on a skidplate from tranny to tcase crossmembers? I'd have it attach at each of those, then extend forward a little, closer to those radius arm mounts, then angle the front up if possible.
How long is the front shaft gona be now? Will it be hanging out alot past the radius arms? Lots of guys are going with pillow blocks to keep it out of the rocks.
Whats the wheelbase and frame height in the center? Thats what gona be my main concern when i get home this weekend.
I'm shootin for 105ish and about 21-23 inch belly height.

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the case/crossmember isn't any lower than what it was stock cause I didn't clock the case at all. it just looks lower cause the frame goes up a bit at that spot. if I put my stock t-case skid back on you'll be able to see that it's the same. I dunno if I'm gonna get too nuts with a full belly skid but I'd like to at least protect the doubler cases.

I think it extended my driveline by 6.75" (notes are in my truck). so I'll have to extend my front shaft by about that same amount. I don't think it'll be too bad, the d35 is high pinion anyways. what are pillow blocks?

my wheelbase is the same as it was before which is 108". I haven't measured my frame height but I got pulled over before and while measuring bumper height, my front bumper measured 25", so I'd say my frame height is low to mid 20's.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you get a ticket for the 25" bumper? Its only an inch too high IIRC.

dabomb5756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pillow blocks/carrier bearings.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614303&pp=25&page=24

You can see some pics of it in here. The yota guys do it because of their doublers, and lots of moon buggies do it as well to keep the shaft up out of the way.

I am doing this if the shaft hangs lower than my leaf spring or spring mount to keep it out of the way. But, i did move my front axle forward around 12 inches, which is more than your 6ish inch doubler. And the yota axle is low pinion.

dabomb5756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And where did you take the shaft?
I plan on taking mine to vachons after i lengthen both mine. Hopefully they wont give me crap too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals