• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

debating on how much to drop???

parabellum1130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 for now
Transmission
Manual
im pretty sure now i want a 3/4 drop ... dont want to mess wit springs for a couple of reasons , 1st , i live in a development where the few funds are spent pooorrllyy , potholes could swallow a car if let go , ( ive busted 2 leaf springs already ) they sink pretty quickly around here... 2nd wana keep my ride the same im only 28 but ive put my body threw hell to give my fam a decient life...rather not feel like im driveing a bolder....
any good direction to find a good 3/4 drop at a decient price...

irishblessing

Get a set of beams and a flip kit and you'll be level when you get done with that.

A shackle flip is SUPER cheap, relatively easy (got jack stands?) and is quickly reversible.

Save a few bucks, get some 1 1/2" long 3/8" grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts, washers, and spend a few hours doing the flip. You'll need to grind out drill out the rivets that hold your hangar to the frame, but it shouldn't take too long once you get the hang of the first few rivets.

Any questions?

couple where do i buy the shackle flip and i dont want something that will screw up my suspesion later on in the future have you had any problems or could i just buy new hangers sorry for the trouble thanks for the help

Last edited:

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
as far as a shackle flip, you use all your stock parts but you have to grind out the rivets and replace them with bolts. easy job

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
couple where do i buy the shackle flip and i dont want something that will screw up my suspesion later on in the future have you had any problems or could i just buy new hangers sorry for the trouble thanks for the help
Beams and flip kit does nothing to change your suspension that you can't reverse. I will say that swapping out the beams is a PITA because of the rust and caked dirt depending on how your truck has been treated. Once you've done it though... You won't have much trouble getting it apart a second time if or when you ever decide to.

You might find the axle flip a bit awkward. To make it easy, I unbolted my driveshaft and twisted the axle on top of a jack. It might be better to sit it on top of a box than use the jack since my jack didn't have a large surface to sit it on. Other than that... you'll just need to watch out for your brake lines and parking brake cable. Oh, and remove the bed too. You'll thank yourself later ten fold.

New hangars will cost you a pretty penny. I can't remember where I seen some brand new, but it would be better to find a junker and steal them from it instead.

As far as problems... the only problem (if you could consider it that) would be rubbing tires on inner fenders on large bumps every now and then.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Pic of what the shackle will look like once you flip it. This moved the leaf spring UP about 1 1/2" to 2" which moves the truck down.

(I didn't measure anything before I did it. I was already lowered. Sorry.)

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Here's another thing you could do. I'm going to be doing this as soon as I get a guaranteed free day on the weekend.

DROPPED FRONT HANGAR!!! $110 shipped. I'll get you the site if anyone wants it.

They look even better in person. Nice, heavy, thick, QUALITY that's made in America (as in, OUR-merica) Company was even nice enough to include all the grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts and washers needed.

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of pure power :)
Transmission
Manual
Insanejughead how much of a drop do the drop front hangers provide. I herd if you flip them it will give you a serious drop.

thanks Rusty

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The front hangars I have are said to give a 2" drop from factory. I do not know how much it will drop it COMBINED with the shackle flip in the back. I have yet to install them and find out.

I will surely let you all know what the result is when I'm finished.

You do NOT want to flip your stock front hangars. It will severly mess up your pinion angles and be very hard to setup the way you're thinking. If you're into fabbing up your own stuff... Go for it. Otherwise, don't take the time to think about it unless you are 102% sure about it.

Take a look at your front hangars and you might see what I'm talking about.

That's my $.02 on that.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea and its going to be hard enough finding an alignment with a lowered truck so i wouldnt go for messing around with flipping stock hangars.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Skyy... There's no aligning to do when you mess with the back part of the truck in any way. The only possible exception to this is that your caster will change slightly.

Unless you have manual steering (like me) then the normal pickup person won't have to worry about a thing.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
yep, & that caster change would move the wheels "forward" which would make highway driving easier:icon_hornsup:

parabellum1130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 for now
Transmission
Manual
im pretty sure now i want a 3/4 drop ... dont want to mess wit springs for a couple of reasons , 1st , i live in a development where the few funds are spent pooorrllyy , potholes could swallow a car if let go , ( ive busted 2 leaf springs already ) they sink pretty quickly around here... 2nd wana keep my ride the same im only 28 but ive put my body threw hell to give my fam a decient life...rather not feel like im driveing a bolder....
any good direction to find a good 3/4 drop at a decient price...
and what brands should i look for or stay away from???

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Skyy... There's no aligning to do when you mess with the back part of the truck in any way. The only possible exception to this is that your caster will change slightly.

Unless you have manual steering (like me) then the normal pickup person won't have to worry about a thing.
insanejughead.... ( not to be a dick:thefinger:) my friend had someone lower his ranger with shackle flip and had a huge problem with roadwalk. looked like the truck was driving sideways... and no one around cleveland will do any kind of an alignment on a slammed truck. just my 2cents, thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals