• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dual to one piece drive line swap

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just got an 86 ranger, the center u joint froze and ruined the yoke on the slip part of the long drive line. i read that you can do the drive line swap to a single drive line with minor mods. then at the bottom it says my year you need to "if you own a '83-'89 Supercab model, this swap can still be done, but the rear driveshaft flange on the axle will be smaller. You will need to swap the larger rear U-joint attachment with 3" bolt spacing with another forward one that has a 2.5" bolt spacing."can this be done with the parts from my old one?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i just got an 86 ranger, the center u joint froze and ruined the yoke on the slip part of the long drive line. i read that you can do the drive line swap to a single drive line with minor mods. then at the bottom it says my year you need to "if you own a '83-'89 Supercab model, this swap can still be done, but the rear driveshaft flange on the axle will be smaller. You will need to swap the larger rear U-joint attachment with 3" bolt spacing with another forward one that has a 2.5" bolt spacing."can this be done with the parts from my old one?
you should be able to, you may need an adapter style u-joint, i dont know for sure but someone here will....

your other issue is that if you have a manual you should have the fm145 which is like 2" shorter than the auto, so the driveshaft wont fit. if you have an auto, you should be good.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok after a good nights sleep i figured out what they mean by the swapping the flange,( i cant believe why it eluded me) i need to get out of axle that i am getting drive line from and put in mine. NOW i have replaced crush washer in a 84 ranger i had. i do know how to do it. i am not going through that again unless i have to. i.e. replace seal or gears. it is not that tough but it does require pulling axles (measure preload) having a way to hold flange while tightening. i do not have flat bar that was 4 feet long anymore. it is a long process. i think it took me 4 to 5 hrs on my 84. if anyone is changing something and have to take apart it is worth it while you have apart. as far as length with trannys i was hoping someone will answer for future reference.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tranny length on drive line swap

does anyone know if there is a tranny lenght problem on a 2 pc to 1 pc drive line swap?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
figure out what transmission you have and go from there. for starters, is it a stick or an auto?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Stick = No workie
Auto = Fits right in

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanx for all the help. went to two pick and pulls yesterday. no luck on just a drive line. found a new one on the web for 320. will check with a couple locals for getting 1 or getting a 1 pc made. i did buy super u-joints from napa. if i go stock i will throw those in.
and yes it is a manuel thanny. bummer

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
local driveline shops

talked to a local drive line shop he will take apart fix and balance for what he is guessing at about 250 dollars. as long as just the slip yoke and carrier bearing are the only problems.:woot::woot:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
talked to a local drive line shop he will take apart fix and balance for what he is guessing at about 250 dollars. as long as just the slip yoke and carrier bearing are the only problems.:woot::woot:
so youve got an fm145, its the same piece of junk im gonna be swapping out of my truck soon. if you arent having problems and want to keep that trans for a while, you may want to think of having a custom 1pc made.

:threadjacked:
Junkie: hey, that means that with an m5od in my truck, a 1pc will fit? even though ive got a 7.5 rear and not an 8.8?? ive never been able to get a straight answer to this, is the 7.5 and 8.8 the same length?

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have the M5OD, the one piece will fit fine on the 7.5 rear.

I have done this swap on my '89 and the main things you have to do are:

change the yoke on the driveshaft to match the one on your rear axle,

Trim the gas tank skidplate. It will rub on the one piece driveshaft.

Excellent modification that totally removed my weird vibrations.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The axle flange side changed in mid-'90 IIRC, so any Rangers prior to that will need the smaller rear driveshaft flange (yoke) to fit the rear axle flange.
After that date, all axles (both 7.5 and 8.8) have the larger pinion flange (the pinion is the same length, yes)

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The axle flange side changed in mid-'90 IIRC, so any Rangers prior to that will need the smaller rear driveshaft flange (yoke) to fit the rear axle flange.
After that date, all axles (both 7.5 and 8.8) have the larger pinion flange (the pinion is the same length, yes)
thanks guys! :clapping:

FatMike86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going through carrier bearings like toilet paper. I'm gonna do the one piece swap; from what I've read I need a 98 or 99 supercab 4wd shaft...but my question is can I just take the crossmember holding the carrier bearing out? Or do I need it for structural support?

Last edited:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you do the one peace drive line you dont use the cross member with the carryer bearing toss it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm going through carrier bearings like toilet paper. I'm gonna do the one piece swap; from what I've read I need a 98 or 99 supercab 4wd shaft...but my question is can I just take the crossmember holding the carrier bearing out? Or do I need it for structural support?
I'd keep it there (move it forward a bit for clearance if needed), although many do run without it with no issues.

BTW, if your truck is 2WD like your profile says, you need a 2WD shaft (from a truck with the same transmission as yours)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals