• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 2.9 radiator fan

Kevin.89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello all I’m glad to finally be a part of this community after many years of just scrolling without joining

I have a 1990 ford ranger 2.9 5 speed 4x4 long bed that had the radiator fan crumble on I really don’t want to switch to an electric fan I could really use some help on finding one that fits becuase I can’t seem to find one anywhere is there any universal type option or will the 4.0 fan be a direct replacement as they seem to be readily available any help is greatly appreciated thank you

Attachments

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
My 89' B2's fan was badly cracked.....the cheapest replacement I could find was on e-Bay ($89). I switched to a 16" 3000 cfm electric. Even with the electronic control kit I didn't have any more money into the swap. Keeps the engine cool even in SD summer temps. Good luck.....

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
My fan on my 1986 2.9 was cracked up also. So I bet all the used fans will be cracked. I did go to a electric fan on mine. Cost less than $100. I didn't do anything fancy like some guys do, but I am not running A/C either.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm not a 2.9 guru, alot of them are on here and will chime in. Make sure you go OEM or better! The 2.9 needs every bit of its cooling system!

But anyway, welcome to the site!!!

source.gif

Kevin.89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys I was just wanting to keep it stock becuase I don’t think I would know how to install the electric fan and I live in southern Arizona were it gets up to 115 regularly and I don’t want it to overheat on me any tips on how to instal an electric fan do you still need the stock shroud?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Look at the top of the site and check the link for the tech section. There may be some articles in there for electric fan conversions.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Have you considered looking into a fan from a Bronco II . I have a pretty decent fan on an 88 2.9 out of a BII I picked up for Suspension parts. If the fans are the same, you can have the one off my 2.9 if you want it. As you can see, I live in Arizona as well.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The Bronco II fan should work.

I am assuming since you guys live in Arizona that you have A/C. That can complicate the wiring a little bit.

The electric fan is easy to mount. You take the original fan and fan shroud off. Buy the 16 inch fan at the local store and it comes with a kit with plastic ties that thread through the radiator fins. It only takes 10 minutes and its in place. I wondered about the radiator supporting the fan like that, but I have had mine in my 86 ranger for 5-6 years, and then I transferred it over to my 84 BII and have had it going for about 2 years now with no problems. I really like the room to see and work on things in front of the engine without the original fan and shroud in the way.

I am using the simple mechanical temperature switch you can buy in the store to activate the fan when needed. It looks like this

Since you have A/C, you must force the fan to run if the A/C is on, regardless of the engine temp. That can be a simple relay and it is tied to the compressor clutch wire so it triggers the fan anytime the compressor is running. If this is over your head, maybe you have a friend that can help you.

Kevin.89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Have you considered looking into a fan from a Bronco II . I have a pretty decent fan on an 88 2.9 out of a BII I picked up for Suspension parts. If the fans are the same, you can have the one off my 2.9 if you want it. As you can see, I live in Arizona as well.
Thank you very much I really appreciate it I think I’m gonna just going to go for the electric fan option and hope it works out I’m all the way down in Yuma Arizona

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I also have a 1990 2.9L ranger 4x4 5speed long bed. And I had the same issue with my fan.
I'm trying to remember where I got the fan from, But I picked up a metal fan that was made for the truck and haven't had any issues with it since. I think it may have been carid.com

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
My 87 4wd 5-speed has a 2.9. My first personal Ranger, it was a gift, sort of, with a blown engine.

In looking for an engine, I learned that the 2.9s have a very fatal flaw. If you overheat them at all, even once, there is a very high probability the head(s) will crack. So when I went looking for an engine, the updated heads were a must.

My point is, you’re playing with fire saving a little bit on the cooling system, especially if you live in AZ. I lucked out (for $900) and found a rebuilt engine with upgraded heads. A wreck, rebuilt engine had 40k on it.

When I put it in, I also replaced my (leaking) single core radiator with a 2-core all-aluminum radiator, about $135 (eBay), took 30-45 minutes, very easy swap. Popped in easy with no mods, fan shroud dropped right on, no clearance issues. My only “difficulty“ is the lower radiator hose came out at a different angle and I had to get a new, different hose.

@killswitch21 ‘s metal fan idea is an excellent idea for AZ. Or, the electric fans are an easy to install/swap if you can do a little more than change a light bulb. The tech sections here and these guys can walk you through it, and there’s a big selection on eBay with controls for under $100.

Keeping the existing fan, I added one as a pusher on my 1987 Lincoln Towncar (302/5.0) in about 45 minutes a year ago. I wired it through the ignition but kept it separate from the HVAC circuit. I wanted it as a helper/precaution. I’m in Hotlanta, and several times a year I go to Florida. Still not as hot as AZ. I have two in the box for my 1978 Lincoln Mark V (460/7.5). Out of the showroom new they were bad about getting hot in traffic. The nose is so long, I think I can add a pusher in front and a puller in front of the existing fan, but I’m adding one for sure. Again, not through the HVAC circuit, and I may wire one straight to the battery. Once that 460/7.5 gets hot, it’s hard to cool down.

Having swapped one Ranger 2.9, the radiator and E-fan at $200 +/- is very cheap insurance. & you can probably sell the old radiator on Craigslist for $50-70 in one weekend.

One last thought: Ford realized overheating/cracking heads were a problem and upgraded the heads on all 2.9s at some point. You may already have them on a 1990. Again, if you look in the tech sections, you can find the markings to tell you the difference to see if you already have the upgraded heads. The double core is still cheap insurance. Once you go with two, you’ll never be satisfied with a single....

My 2 cents, hope it helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals