• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Injector Leaking Questions

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you said you cleaned them already... I missed it.

For as much as a dirty injector could cause lean... if the injector won't fully seal because it's dirty... it will leak.

If your certain you have them as clean as they can be. Buy new injectors...
I may try to go the ultrasonic cleaner route and be sure its clean just because it's nearly impossible to find new injectors that aren't junk. These injectors have clearly never been touched since new which could mean that gunk just clogged it up over time, but it could also mean that they're old and tired. The truck also clearly sat for a long time before I got it so there's another chance that old gas gunked up the injector maybe.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you want you can gap plugs a little wider, +0.003, above current gap, which is better for startup, but worse for RPMs above 3,500, if you run it that high
Current gap is 0.044" so change to 0.047"
Wider gap makes for a hotter spark for start up but also less time for coil to recover between sparks, which is why its better for start up but "less better" for high RPMs, lol
Narrower gap is "less better" for startup but better for RACING!
Vehicle makers pick a gap in the middle, so you can use +/- 0.005" if you want, kinda like the tire pressure thing, your tire so use the pressure you want

If ECT sensor tests at under 1volt warmed up then computer is most likely the issue especially if you haven't got lean or rich codes coming up
+1 on Uncle Gump, heads up on ANY "new" part, new used to mean "tested and working", new now means "YOU TEST IT, and we will replace it if it doesn't work"

If you can test running fuel pressure and its 30-40psi that OK, the fuel pump can do 80+psi, which is why it needs an FPR
While its a long shot, a return fuel line can get kinked or restricted, causing high fuel pressure, so if possible take that off the table with a test
I don't want to mess with the spark plugs until it at least runs like it used to. It ran and started ok with the gap it has and I just don't want to change any variables

I tested the ECT before it started doing this and it tested good, but I can test it again later today just to double check.

ECU has already been replaced before this started happening which didn't really help. Swapping back to old ecu didn't change anything either.

As far as fuel pressure goes, after it had sat for a day, I turned the key to prime the fuel pump and I only got a couple PSI. Every time I turned the key off and then back to the start position, I gained a few PSI. After I started it, it idled at 32 PSI, then jumped to 33 PSI right when I turned it off. It went down to 31.5 PSI after sitting for 2 mins, then 31 PSI after sitting for 10 mins. After it had been run once, turning the key to the start position jumps the pressure to 41 psi quickly, then it falls to 39 PSI after a couple mins.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Tried opening up the injectors for cleaning them and they refuse to open. I attached a 9v battery to open/close them which worked before this started happening. Now when I touch the leads to the injector connector it does nothing no matter what. All of them don't do anything

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then the coil wire in injector is broken, or your 9v battery is dead

Test with OHM Meter, each injector should be 12-19ohms if coil is still intact

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then the coil wire in injector is broken, or your 9v battery is dead

Test with OHM Meter, each injector should be 12-19ohms if coil is still intact
Checked out with 16-16.2 OHMs on all injectors. Kinda weird since they all tested 15.7-15.9 not too long ago. Anyway, I also checked the battery, 9.14 volts and fresh out the package.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then they should click when 9v is applied, there is no polarity

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then they should click when 9v is applied, there is no polarity
Tried a different 9v battery and they click now. I just got new injectors to rule it out because I'm really tired of testing things. New injectors seemed to do nothing. I can't tell cause it runs so bad already. Also had to replace the battery because I accidentally left the key on overnight after testing the injectors and the battery wouldn't charge anymore.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals