• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump Question

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '93 needs a new fuel pump.

Looking at RockAuto, I see a Motorcraft pump assembly for $262, and a Delphi assembly for $75. What makes the $200 difference?

What are good brands to buy, and ones to stay away from.?

When I did the V8 swap, I learned there was a difference in cheap parts and Motorcraft parts. Same logic here?

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Motorcraft parts are tested after being manufactured and before being boxed.
Its the Quality Control that is required by Ford, they also require "origin" documents of anything IN the Ford part
They can't afford putting in untested parts into new vehicles, costs them too much down the road with warranty labor and customer satisfaction
So they just pay the labor up front to test parts

For 3rd party brands, YOU are the Quality Control Department, YOU test it, if it fails under warranty "they" replace it, but YOU supply the labor to swap it out

For easy to get to parts, 3rd party are fine to used, IMO, not a big deal to swap them out

Fuel Pumps are a judgement call as far as labor to swap them out and distance from "home" if a 3rd party pump should fail
If you do alot of out of town driving I might just pay up front for Motorcraft to avoid a towing bill, or the inconvenience, of swapping pumps on the side of the road

If you decide on 3rd party pump see if you can find one with warranty that rolls over, i.e. if it has a 12month warranty and it fails at 10 months, then the "free" replacement ALSO has 12 month warranty from when you get it, not just the remaining 2 months

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I bought a Carter brand fuel pump for my '94 years ago... Best I could tell, it was 100% identical to the OEM pump, just didn't have the Ford oval stamped in the side of the motor housing. My guess is Carter (or whoever makes this particular model pump for Carter) is also who makes pumps for Ford. Cost was around $130 IIRC.

I've heard Bosch is also good (I've no personal experience though). Never researched Delphi, but $75 does sound awfully cheap to me.

Whatever you get, make sure it's manufactured in USA.

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies.

I decided to get the Motorcraft one - it's a lot of work just to have to do it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals