• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Give some feedback?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been diesel hunting for a while now. And believe it or not, I am actually a PS fan. I really love Cummins but sadly, they come attached to over 3 tons of dookie. My shovel isn't that big. So anyhow, I am looking at this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-4x4-POWERSTROKE-DIESEL-REAR-DVD-HEATHED-LEATHER-6CD-/190528926803?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5c68b453

Now, I am not saying I am buying this exact truck, but the Excursion Diesel 4x4 IS what I want. I know they are rock solid and will run forever so what say you? Anything to watch for on these?

Except for obvious retardism like below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOMN8R-/220777880643?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3367631c43

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
looks really nice man. id love to have one of those too.
i would soo go for it.

and please someone hit the nuts of owner of the black one with a hammer

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I approve, but NOT in that color. That looks way too close to a chevy color..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know you are a picky guy... 6.0's can be hit and miss.

Before you buy get all the history you can on it, go to a local dealer and get the oasis pulled up so you can see what all was done under warrenty... and if you are stuck on a 6.0 I would get one under warrenty so if I had a problem out of the hole it would be on someone elses dime.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
like 85 said i would see if you can find a 7.3 if the price is good and the truck is in good shape.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know you are a picky guy... 6.0's can be hit and miss.

Before you buy get all the history you can on it, go to a local dealer and get the oasis pulled up so you can see what all was done under warrenty... and if you are stuck on a 6.0 I would get one under warrenty so if I had a problem out of the hole it would be on someone elses dime.
I prefer the 7.3 but they are hard to find in a truck thats still nice.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't be afraid of a 6.0, power wise its like comparing a 3.0 to a 5.0. be prepared to spend a few hundred bucks right off the bat and you'll have a bullet proof 6.0. pm me if you need any help with your future 6.0

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah like some others have said I would keep my eyes open for a 7.3 if possible. The 6.0s can be a great engine with some mods. If you do get the 6.0 I would def get some ARP Head Studs because the 6.0s are bad for "stretching" the stock head studs. I have a 97 f250 with the 7.3 and it is a bulletproof engine with almost 180,000 miles nothing major has ever been replace except the vacuum pump. But as I said earlier a 6.0 can be a great engine as long as you have some extra $ laying around. My dad has a 2003 f250 with the 6.0 and it has been a great truck!

djdiesel89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005and 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6.1and 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
don't be afraid of a 6.0, power wise its like comparing a 3.0 to a 5.0. be prepared to spend a few hundred bucks right off the bat and you'll have a bullet proof 6.0. pm me if you need any help with your future 6.0
be prepared to spend alot more than a few hundred. the oil coolers are shit, the injectors crap out. heads suck, the egr system is a known failure point. look for international all the way. I personally have a 99 dodge. i agree with the pile of shit they are, i.e axles electrical, brakes,etc. 320,000 on the engine tho and ive only replaced one injection pump, 2 thermostats, and a waterpump. o and a starter last week sorry. im original owner as well. you cant beat an inline six with fewer moving parts and all moving in one direction. go cummins! but if your stuck with ford i wold try and get the international anyday

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
be prepared to spend alot more than a few hundred. the oil coolers are shit, the injectors crap out. heads suck, the egr system is a known failure point. look for international all the way. I personally have a 99 dodge. i agree with the pile of shit they are, i.e axles electrical, brakes,etc. 320,000 on the engine tho and ive only replaced one injection pump, 2 thermostats, and a waterpump. o and a starter last week sorry. im original owner as well. you cant beat an inline six with fewer moving parts and all moving in one direction. go cummins! but if your stuck with ford i wold try and get the international anyday
I'll try to be respectful with this response but uninformed people piss me off to no end

Let me just start with a 6.0 is an International. As far as "having to spend THOUSANDS" to get a solid 6.0 is just Ridiculous. The coolant in a 6.0 is the killer, ELC Coolant MADE FOR A DIESEL and a coolant filter will do wonders. EGR, Oil coolers, headgaskets, and several other 6.0 "issues" are because fords coolant is not built to take the abuse of a diesel with and egr cooler. As far as "junk" injectors is from lack of maitnance. If you want to know more go to Powerstroke.org or PM Me!!!! but dont take info from uninformed dipsh!ts like some of those above [End Rant]

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My son has beat the hell out of the 6.0 in his 04 250 with no problems what so ever for over 2 years now.
The last year with a programmer.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I have been diesel hunting for a while now. And believe it or not, I am actually a PS fan. I really love Cummins but sadly, they come attached to over 3 tons of dookie.
That is the single best description of a Chrysler product I have ever seen. Kudos, my friend.

That said, I like the Fords. A lot. Strong, long-lasting. Drove the Excursion my brother had from work for several hundred miles and I really liked the truck. I'd buy one if I had the need and the place to put it...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to be respectful with this response but uninformed people piss me off to no end

Let me just start with a 6.0 is an International. As far as "having to spend THOUSANDS" to get a solid 6.0 is just Ridiculous. The coolant in a 6.0 is the killer, ELC Coolant MADE FOR A DIESEL and a coolant filter will do wonders. EGR, Oil coolers, headgaskets, and several other 6.0 "issues" are because fords coolant is not built to take the abuse of a diesel with and egr cooler. As far as "junk" injectors is from lack of maitnance. If you want to know more go to Powerstroke.org or PM Me!!!! but dont take info from uninformed dipsh!ts like some of those above [End Rant]
And if you get one that hasn't had that coolant it could very well take thousands to make it a solid engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals