• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

had a little to much fun

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could be worse, we just had a farmer that was coyote hunting paralyze himself.

He was driving down pretty tame terraces on a friends land without a seatbelt on at a pretty good clip (40mph). Turns out the last one was a good one, truck went about 70' in the air. He bounced off the ceiling, landed on the console and splattered 3 lower vertebre. He eventually steered the truck into a tree to stop it since he couldn't move his feet. 40 years old and has a 5% chance of ever walking again last I heard.

Oddly the 2004 F-250 diesel supposidly sustained little damage after flying half as far as the Wright Brothers did. :icon_confused:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
well my youthful indiscretion was taking a 1988 Olds Delta 88 through a T road sign at 40mph one night trying sneak up on a buddy (no headlights on) and of course I had the car full of friends...

flew over the ditch, hit the sign dead center of the bumper, mowed the sign over and ended up in a corn field on top of the sign. the sign was 2 inches away from raking the a/c compressor out of the car, and lucky enough for me all it did was put a nice big sign post shaped dent in the middle of the bumper and bent the valence panel and core support upwards about 4 inches.

No mechanical damage at all, a/c still worked and the radiator was not broken. no damage to the fenders or grille either, just the bumper, valence panel and core support.

ended up having a body shop straighten the core support for a 180 bucks, I bought a new bumper from Oldsmobile for 200, and tied a chain to a tree and pulled the valence panel straight again. so for about 400 bucks in parts and miscellaneous labor, i was able to fix the car to pre crash condition.

Boy was my dad pissed about that....

AJ

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
well my youthful indiscretion was taking a 1988 Olds Delta 88 through a T road sign at 40mph one night trying sneak up on a buddy (no headlights on) and of course I had the car full of friends...

flew over the ditch, hit the sign dead center of the bumper, mowed the sign over and ended up in a corn field on top of the sign. the sign was 2 inches away from raking the a/c compressor out of the car, and lucky enough for me all it did was put a nice big sign post shaped dent in the middle of the bumper and bent the valence panel and core support upwards about 4 inches.

No mechanical damage at all, a/c still worked and the radiator was not broken. no damage to the fenders or grille either, just the bumper, valence panel and core support.

ended up having a body shop straighten the core support for a 180 bucks, I bought a new bumper from Oldsmobile for 200, and tied a chain to a tree and pulled the valence panel straight again. so for about 400 bucks in parts and miscellaneous labor, i was able to fix the car to pre crash condition.

Boy was my dad pissed about that....

AJ
I once blew up my old man's Death Star, boy was he pissed. Feeling the force of his wrath made me move to a town far far away.

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well guys i undersatnd i did a dumb thing but it was the first thin i have done in 6 years of owning the truck i have done all the work to it and i am not really upset about anything. it just give me a reason to go throught it and do everything i wanted to do befor. now i have reason to save my money instead of blowing it. i am not rich and i love my truck i hated doing what i did but nothing is gonna change that. in a few weaks i am gonna have a clean truck to rebuild mine. its no big deal to me i love building cars/trucks. im just glad i didnt hurt my girlfriends little brother im sure if i did i would not have a place to live. i am enjoying rading your guys stories about your mess up keep posting them

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Get ready for the fun. I started rebuilding mine about a year ago. It's sitting in the garage waiting for the slave cylinder to get here so I can finish the drive line. I have been doing all the fun rust fixes and junk on the cab in the meantime. Hopefully one day in the near future I will finally get to put the cab back on the chassis.

Like I saw on another thread.. The more you tear into it the more you find to fix or at least give some attention to. Frame up rebuilds require an infinite amount of patience. Don't get in a hurry and do it right. Then you will have a truck that all your friends would like to own.

Hope you have a torch and a welder........

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
You can't fix stupid with a wrench though.

-PlumCrazy
I disagree. It all depends on how big the wrench is and how hard you hit stupid with it :p

Sent from the Galaxy to the interwebs
May have to turn that into my sig.

Not everyone does that. If you have to spend money on gas, insurance, registration, and maintenance at that age you would definitely treat your vehicles better, that is of course unless for some reason you are too rich to care.

The cool thing now is, you get to rebuild your truck and get up close and personal with it LOL.
I paid for everything I had as a kid (well, still do.) Then when my parents got pissed when I tore something up, I would just remind them of that. :D

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My dumbest thing I did was take my 84 Ranger to the local cycle park in high school, went through a mud hole just fine one way, coming back there was more of a lip on the edge to get back out, didn't realize it and ended up having the truck floating in the water until I got someone out there to pull me out since the truck was only 2WD, if it was 4WD I could have driven right through. So these trucks do float kind of LOL.

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well the truck i am getting next weakend has no rust at all i am thinking about putting a motar in it and making it a little street truck seince it is so clean (dont want to beet a clean truck up). after i do that i will probly rebuild mine or make it a trugy ( i think it is in perfect shap for that) lol. the new truck i am debating a 302 which is a common swap but i can get a good deal on a 351 windsor and trans with the wire harness computer and everything to hook it up. WILL THE FRAME HOLD UP OR SHOUlD I STRENGTHEN IT? i would like some inputs on this. will be the first engine swap and pretty much full rebuild.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If I gave you my stories of my '86 mustang......

Btw, some of the responses to this were hilarious! I missed this place.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
well the truck i am getting next weakend has no rust at all i am thinking about putting a motar in it and making it a little street truck seince it is so clean (dont want to beet a clean truck up). after i do that i will probly rebuild mine or make it a trugy ( i think it is in perfect shap for that) lol. the new truck i am debating a 302 which is a common swap but i can get a good deal on a 351 windsor and trans with the wire harness computer and everything to hook it up. WILL THE FRAME HOLD UP OR SHOUlD I STRENGTHEN IT? i would like some inputs on this. will be the first engine swap and pretty much full rebuild.
IMO anytime you put a larger engine into a vehicle that wasn't designed for it, you should always add more support to the frame. I'd stick with a 302, from what I've heard those are almost a direct drop in replacement, not sure on the 351's I think they require more work to get them installed.

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
to put the 351 in ill have to cut some inner fenders away and possiably firewall. i can get a 351 that as some stuff done to it like the cam. ill post pictures of my new ranger next weakend when i pick it up.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
to put the 351 in ill have to cut some inner fenders away and possiably firewall. i can get a 351 that as some stuff done to it like the cam. ill post pictures of my new ranger next weakend when i pick it up.
Your firewall will be fine, but the heater box will be in the way and need modded. Search a little, it's all out there. :icon_thumby:

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
iv decided not to make a project truck lol. i need mine back safly on the road. ill be taking the 2 trucks and making 1. whan i get that done ill post whats left if anyone needs anything it will pretty much be whats on the cab forward of the ranger in the pics i have already posted ill get back with you guys on that cant wait till saturday

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
^^ Be careful what you do on that, you'll quickly start going well I should do this, get this, add this etc. Pretty soon you have a very expensive project LOL.

Good luck and post pics of your progress as you go.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
^^ Be careful what you do on that, you'll quickly start going well I should do this, get this, add this etc. Pretty soon you have a very expensive project LOL.

Good luck and post pics of your progress as you go.
^^ What bill said.... I am about $4500 in on top of what I paid for the truck just to get her back to normal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals