• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello...New to the forum

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the mouth....." Mike Tyson
Hello,
I thought I would join this forum. My friend told me how good it was. Just bought a 2000 Ranger, 3.0 v-6 manual transmission. As I was driving it home from work I turned off the highway and it started running really bad, no power, wouldn't rev up. I limped it towards home and about 2 blocks from my house it died. Would not start. A neighbor saw me and towed me to my house. After talking with him a bit I tried to start it. it started and was still acting funny. I shut it off and put my code reader on it. No codes were showing. A little while later I started it again. I revved the motor and it would not settle down to a 800 rpm idle. Waited a little bit more and restarted it. Now it acts normal. Revs up and returns to a sub 1000 idle. Pulled forward and reverse in the driveway. Before when I had just got it home when I put it in gear and tried to move forward it died. I Bought a new fuel filter and fuel pump relay. I wanted to try a couple things before I put in a fuel pump. I would like to know what actually happened and didn't want to throw too many parts at it.
Anyone have this happen to them. Thanks in advance.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Never in my 3.0 5 speed 2004 ranger

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check back Mongo, somebody might come around with a clue :)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What you describe could be a heat related issue... but then again it might not be. It's difficult to diagnose an issue that isn't present.

When you have an unstable idle... you have to consider vacuum leaks and /or IAC faults.

But with most drivability/no start/quit while driving problems... you need to start all diagnosis with verifying fuel pressure.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
IME when it does random weird stuff its the MAF sensor. You can try cleaning it before throwing parts at it.
They sell specific Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner spray at the parts stores. Hang in there Mongo.

Also it might something stupid like a vacuum line broke or popped off.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How fast, or rough, was that turn off the highway Mongo, it could be some fuel tank issue raring it's ugly head

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
How fast, or rough, was that turn off the highway Mongo, it could be some fuel tank issue raring it's ugly head
I have weird issue on my ranger ever since I got it stuck running over a water pipe and stuck in a hole because it wasnt backfilled. Since then My fuel pump fuse blows out every time I hit the base of an uphill if it jolts the truck just right. Poked around a little but still chasing it, suspect its a ground or short issue.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd say you have a live wire opened enough to short somewhere when the earth tilts just right

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I'd say you have a live wire opened enough to short somewhere when the earth tilts just right
Its more the jolt than the tilt...but yea I gotta start hunting wires....so far just looked at stuff thats exposed with removing stuff. Got a whole list...Busted rear glass, front pivot bushings etc...my poor ranger needs some wrench time.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Watch those sparks around that gas tank

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello,
I thought I would join this forum. My friend told me how good it was. Just bought a 2000 Ranger, 3.0 v-6 manual transmission. As I was driving it home from work I turned off the highway and it started running really bad, no power, wouldn't rev up. I limped it towards home and about 2 blocks from my house it died. Would not start. A neighbor saw me and towed me to my house. After talking with him a bit I tried to start it. it started and was still acting funny. I shut it off and put my code reader on it. No codes were showing. A little while later I started it again. I revved the motor and it would not settle down to a 800 rpm idle. Waited a little bit more and restarted it. Now it acts normal. Revs up and returns to a sub 1000 idle. Pulled forward and reverse in the driveway. Before when I had just got it home when I put it in gear and tried to move forward it died. I Bought a new fuel filter and fuel pump relay. I wanted to try a couple things before I put in a fuel pump. I would like to know what actually happened and didn't want to throw too many parts at it.
Anyone have this happen to them. Thanks in advance.
Maybe crud in the gas tank?

I was one of the first customers I reckon, at the new Kroger gas station where we got groceries.
I rarely filled up but then it didn't take much with a 4 cylinder Chevy LUV.
It wasn't long before that thing was bucking like a bareback bronco. It would spit and sputter and I would do anything possible to keep it from dying on me. After a couple days of that around Nashville I tore into it at home, pulled the carb and that bowl was so full of the cruddiest crud I ever seen. It was the end of that motor and the end of that truck

Several years ago when they built a Love's nearby it was at least the second month before I went there and then for quite some time I didn't go anywhere else

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the mouth....." Mike Tyson
When I changed the pump I drained the tank. It was very clean. As I was diagnosing the pump issue we found a wire connection on the old pump the was loose. I had tried to hook the wires to the old pump while the online (new / wrong) pump was still in the tank. Th old pump wouldn't run even direct pos/neg to the battery. Once we pushed the connector together it would run. so that may have been the original problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals