• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How low can I go, and how?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I wanna lower this thing. I will NOT c-notch. What are my options without the rear axle hitting the frame all the time??

It already seems to need new rear leaf springs, as these sag very easily with minimal weight in the bed. I'm very familiar with first/second gen front suspension and alignments..

20230722_163315.jpg

20230722_163356.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Explorer axles have disc brakes and the spring perches are under the axle, should be about a 4" drop

Flipping rear hangers works as well

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I have read a tiny bit about flipping the rear leaf shackle mounts. I've replaced rear hangers several times before, so this option would work well for me. Any negative effects or other things that affects?

How to get the front to match though? Thinking of RicksRangerz coilover mounts.. I'm also unsure how much adjustment the Moog adjustable alignment bushings will get me. I believe it's around 4 degrees. I have a set in my 87 V8 Ranger now. Not sure if it would be enough to get it aligned correctly when pushing the beams that high..

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just spit balling;
For the front maybe some axle pivots meant for a lift, but don't use the springs. Maybe even cut a coil or 2. Just like a teeter-totter, the wheel should go up into the wheel well. May have to do a cut and turn but mirror image.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'd hate to start having to cut factory beams. I'm not sure if the Dream Beams would lower the front too much, so that I had to lower the rear too much just to match it..

I got a line on some brand new Dream Beams for the 2nd gens, and I've already done the 95-97 beam swap on my other truck so I know that process. Might have to go that route..

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
That's gonna be a sharp looking Ranger when you get it dropped. A good friend in HS had a GT that looked a lot like that one. I was always a fan of the White Rangers with Red or Blue interior.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4-5" drop is the max in the rear without a notch.
You'll probably want to find lower profile bump stops too.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I didn't realise my truck was lowered when I bought it becuase it was in a car trailer. It had dropped beams and I kept them after replacing the bushings. I bought some 65-6 Mustang spring pads and welded them onto my spare Mustang II 8 inch housing so I could bolt it to the top of the rear springs. Then I had to get some longer rear shackles to raise the rear about an inch to get it level. I would get some dropped I beams rather than cutting or bending yours, cutting the coils springs will lower it but the camber will be way negative and spring travel will be reduced. If it can't be aligned properly the front tires will die early and often.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Still waiting to hear back from the guy with the 2nd gen Dream Beams. *fingers crossed*

Any recommendations on specific bump stops, leaf springs, etc will be appreciated.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I bought the stiffest stock replacement front and rear springs for my 93 Ranger to make sure they'd hold up the 351. It rides like a 1 ton but it doesn't sag.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I bought the stiffest stock replacement front and rear springs for my 93 Ranger to make sure they'd hold up the 351. It rides like a 1 ton but it doesn't sag.
This truck is gonna stay a 2.8 for the foreseeable future. It just needs lowered to look acceptable being a longbed.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
This truck is gonna stay a 2.8 for the foreseeable future. It just needs lowered to look acceptable being a longbed.
I'd still go with dropped beams rather than cutting the springs. Cutting coil springs effectively increases the spring rate along with reducung suspension travel. My truck is a longbed, too, and I didn't realise that either until we dragged it out of the trailer. I was looking for an 83-88 short box but this 93 longbed isn't rusty. In NH, not rusty trumps all other considerations.
New springs.JPG

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
same here in south texas. living on the coast, everything is rusty

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Well, the guy on FB from Kentucky that had the new 2nd gen Dream Beams is a complete moron and is afraid to call or text my phone number because of scammers. :rolleyes:o_O JHC dude! It's not like I'm trying to send you a check to cash for me, or getting you to claim $1000000000 dollars because of a long lost relative.

So I guess he won't get my money and I'll have to buy new ones online at full retail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals