• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is this normal..

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Its getting colder out.. I noted first thing in morning when its cold, i start the truck let it warm up for a bit then start driving.. the trucks shifts harder than normal.. it shifts around 3000 rpm FROM 1st to 2ND! after driving about 2 mins then it shifts normal again at 2600 rpm! and its fine rest of time til next chilly morning when I start it, start driving and cant def feel it rev higher than normal and give a slight jerk! Ive cleaned the MAF as was told that could cause issues if dirty.. ive checked fluid and its pink and at level... AGAIN it only does it for first short while, then clears up fairly quick..

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Mine has a bit of delayed shifts when cold... but typically like 0 degrees.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Winterpeg (where OP is from) was below 0 F last week.

I wouldn't say its abnormal for it to shift a little higher until engine and transmission are properly warmed up.

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had an 02 ranger before this one with MANY MANY miles on it and dont recall it doin that, but its been a few years now since I drove THAT.. this new one I usually park in winter and drive my wifes car, this is first winter of driving the 06 ranger with low miles! its chilly here and still nowwhere near as cold as it can get.. hope it doesnt get worse. but def noticed the jerkier shift right off the bat

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sounds like my 06... bought it with 75k miles... did it from day one.

I typically play nice with it for the first few miles. Fluid warms up... back to normal.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would agree it is "normal"

Trans fluid doesn't warm up much in Park or Neutral
And the radiator/trans cooler is still icy cold for 10+ minutes of engine running in cold climates, so trans cooler causes slower warm up of trans fluid
If possible shift into R or D and just sit for 30-60 seconds before driving

Torque converters generate the most heat but at idle "in gear" because they are "slipping", on purpose, and that generates more heat to heat up the fluid faster

Regular ATF is thicker when cold like engine oil
Synthetic ATF is not as thick as regular ATF when cold, so might be a good choice next time you change fluid and filter
And yes you can mix them, so don't need a total flush, just more synthetic that regular might lessen that "normal" cold shifting

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This morning +1C or 34 Farenheit this morning.. Start truck left driveway 1-2 shift was 3100 rpm! I immediatly came to a stop, turned off the OD, truck shifted smooth from take off.... after about 30 seconds of driving I turned OD on and all smooth... i dont know..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turning OD off and on does nothing in the transmission itself, OD off just tells computer not to shift from 4th to 5th gear above 50MPH or so
Stopping is what helped in this case, unlocked the torque converter so it could slip and heat up fluid faster :)

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Turning OD off and on does nothing in the transmission itself, OD off just tells computer not to shift from 4th to 5th gear above 50MPH or so
Stopping is what helped in this case, unlocked the torque converter so it could slip and heat up fluid faster :)
Chilly today, when i leave drivewway today ill start off right away with OD off and see.. but yestuyrday was def over 3000 rpm as i watched it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also start engine put trans in gear right away and wait 20-30seconds before driving, its also good to get the engine oil warmed up a bit with a load

Last edited:

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
OK, so havent drive truck in couple days and woke up today to coldest day all winter so far..

Started truck and let warm up for bout 2 mins (this time I wanted to try something diff) so i TURNED OFF THE OD and left... she drove fine! turned to OD on once I got a few blocks away and was fine..

So far leaning towards an issue with the OD When cold out and first start drivin ( was fine all summer, once temp hit 34F then slow shifts harder)

Next test I will try what you said ron

Will start let warm for 2 mins then put in Drive, wait 30 seconds and go, and iill leave it i OD................. see what happens with that, but im expecting hard shift 1-2 and 3000ish Rpm

PS: had an issue with my lock cyl this morning now too... ill make another thread about that :(

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Put some graphite powder in door and ignition locks

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: ok so yesturday was by far coldest day 0F and truck shifted exactly like it does when its 34F. This morning just as cold, so i decided to turn the OD off and left my driveway.. shifts perfect with OD off for first 2-3 blocks UNLIKE Overdrive on!
is it suppose to have diff shift points than when od is on?? why do some say it only affects after 50 mph? cause mine def shifts diff with it off!

After drivin for a couple blocks and it gets up to 40 mph i turn OD on and it drops 400 rpm.. shifts perfect after that again no rough 1-2nd shift or 2nd-3rd shift!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The shift points shouldn't change regardless of OD being on or off. I think OD just locks the torque converter at a certain point and unlucks when it drops below that. Transmissions are not my strong point but that is my understanding of OD.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals