• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is this normal..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OD is Overdrive, Overdrive is 5th gear in a 5R transmission, solenoid 3(C)

OD off simply means computer will not activate Overdrive when you are going fast enough to need to shift to 5th gear, transmission will stay in 4th gear, until driver turns OD on again

OD off doesn't effect 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, just whether 5th gear is used
Shifting stays the same from 1st to 4th

I am glad OD off works for your situation, but on paper it should have no effect :)

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
even when truck is well warmed up, i played with the OD and it def has diff shift points from a dead stop to 50 mph as compared to overdrive off.. For 1 example, im crusing at 38 mph and truck is doin 2200 rpm, I turn OD on. and it immediatly drops to 1800 rpm (dont feel it shift gears)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
OD locks the torque converter in 1 thru 4., the owners manual details how it can be used for engine braking while towing.
the 2200 to 1800 drop is the converter locking up.

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yeah unfortunitly i dont have an owners manual for this truck.. just that first drive when cold out issue of hard shift for first couple mins! im startin to think its normal. BUT i know my 2002 ranger didnt do it. only diff was my 02 had 3:73 and my 06 has 4:11

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How a 5R55E shifts:

1st - low speed planetary 2.47:1 ratio
2nd - low speed planetary 2.47:1 ratio + overdrive planetary 0.75:1 = 1.87:1 ratio
3rd - medium speed planetary 1.47:1 ratio
4th - straight through 1:1 ratio
5th - straight through 1:1 ratio + overdrive planetary 0.75:1 = 0.75:1 ratio

Turning off OD aka 5th is recommended for towing as Ranger often is short of power and constant shifting from 4th to 5th really heats things up. Hot transmissions don't last...

I know the 5R110W found in SuperDuty Diesels becomes a 6 speed when cold out. Otherwise, it is a 5 speed with same shift pattern as the Ranger automatic.
It adds the medium planetary + PD planetary ratio (which would be about 1.10:1) when cold​
I'm wondering if turning off OD, actually "removes" 2nd from shift pattern too. A shift from 1st to 3rd with lots of slip would be a gentle shift.

Then there is what is happening with the torque converter lock-up - which is also modified by thumbing the button

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: ok so 2-3 weeks ago i was complaining about high rev's from first drive goin down my street.. This morning I left and same issue.. shifted well over 3000 rpm 1-2nd gear shift, a hair below the first mark 3250 rpm it shifted and then my OD LIGHT began flashing.. Looks like Im gonna change the Speed Sensor ! The light went away after I got to my destination and restarted the truck.. but ill change sensor and see if it clears up! the truck did drive normally again as usual about a block and a half away from home but light continued to flash. i drove for about 15 mins to my destination and shut off, then restarted for drive home and no flash and shifted normal.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Over 3,000rpm would have been a shift from 1st to 3rd in a 5R transmission usually
2nd would be a 600rpm drop, 3rd a 1,100rpm drop

So if RPMs were 3,200 and dropped to 2,100 then it skipped 2nd and went to 3rd
If RPMs only dropped to 2,600 then it was a shift to 2nd

Flashing OD light means transmission codes were set
In 2006 speed sensor is the OSS(output shaft speed) sensor on the upper rear of transmission housing, its2 wires run directly to PCM(computer)
PCM converts that signal and sends it out to the speedo/odo, and cruise
So speedometer would for sure have issues if OSS sensor had an issue

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
My 4.0 OHV shifts a little harder at first when it's cold out. Maybe you should do a tranny flush. Your T fluid could use a change/service perhaps.

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
it might of been 3000+ from 2nd gear to 3rd... either way the light immediatly began flashing! Ive read of this and heard replacing the speed sensor cures this. Ill try it. I believe its on top of the rear diff on my 06 as its a 2WD.

"""My 4.0 OHV shifts a little harder at first when it's cold out. Maybe you should do a tranny flush. Your T fluid could use a change/service perhaps. """ i had the fluid changed about 20 000 miles ago but not the filter..

flashin OD light.. Ive seen this video and others with same issue as me.. NO SPEEDO ISSUE EITHER....... Flashing OD Light & Hard Shift on automatic Ford. Replace Transmission or install $20 Speed Sensor? (youtube.com)

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only the 1998-2000 Rangers used the rear axle ABS sensor as a "speed sensor"

Read the link you posted above
"Flashing OD Light & Hard Shift on 1998 Ford Ranger automatic....."
A bit lower he says "Replacing speed sensor also worked on 2006 Ford Ranger...." this would not be the rear axle sensor, for sure

So not applicable for/to 1983-1997 or 2001-2011 Rangers

Flashing OD light means computer has detected a problem in the transmission, so will set a transmission code or codes
Not all code readers can see these code
Auto parts stores will often read codes for free, WRITE them down, need EXACT code numbers

And there are A LOT of transmission codes
Partial list here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/obd-ii_trouble_codes/

They start at P0700 to P0804
And then again at P1700

So guessing is out of the question, lol

Last edited:

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yeah my truck not showing check engine light and the OD light isnt flashing anymore, and my reader not showing any codes.. So the Speed Sensor is located on the trans.. ill change that first and see

so ill make sure its not the one for the ABS wheel sensor but the Output speed sensor on the diff.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a 2001 and up Ranger if speedometer is working then a speed sensor is not the issue

What is the model number of the OBD2 reader
Look it up and it should say if it can read transmission codes specifically, most can't

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On a 2001 and up Ranger if speedometer is working then a speed sensor is not the issue

What is the model number of the OBD2 reader
Look it up and it should say if it can read transmission codes specifically, most can't
I have 2 readers and both nothing.. there is no check engine light and OD light isnt flashing anymore.

well after reading many similar issues on other forums etc seems like I have same as these other owners do and they changed the Speed Sensor and it fixed the issue.. for 20$ ill try it. and they said there speedo was working also.

wpginterceptor

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
OK so updating this video...

After talking to a Ford tech who knows my trans best, he says its NORMAL for the OD light to flash if its cold out and I didnt allow the truck enough time to warm up. He says The next time you shut it off and start it up the light will stop flashing and be back to normal..

Yeah thats exactly what happens... Strange my old 2002 Ranger NEVER did this... my 06 has done it twice this winter! Next fall i plan on using synthetic trans fluid and well see what happens next winter. In the end he says this is normal and to only worry about it if the light continues to flash after a restart, OR the lights flashing and its not cold out!.. if that happens, he recommends changing the speed sensor and if that doesnt stop it then to have a pro look at it as it will be a bigger issue......

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
OK so updating this video...

After talking to a Ford tech who knows my trans best, he says its NORMAL for the OD light to flash if its cold out and I didnt allow the truck enough time to warm up. He says The next time you shut it off and start it up the light will stop flashing and be back to normal..

Yeah thats exactly what happens... Strange my old 2002 Ranger NEVER did this... my 06 has done it twice this winter! Next fall i plan on using synthetic trans fluid and well see what happens next winter. In the end he says this is normal and to only worry about it if the light continues to flash after a restart, OR the lights flashing and its not cold out!.. if that happens, he recommends changing the speed sensor and if that doesnt stop it then to have a pro look at it as it will be a bigger issue......
Just as an FYI, actual Motorcraft Mercon V is a synthetic transmission fluid. Also, when was the last time the fluid and filter was changed? It might help some if those haven't been changed in a while. Some people use 60,000 mile fluid and filter change intervals, others use 30,000. I prefer 30,000 but I wouldn't go more than 60,000 miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals