• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifts

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Cleaned up. Warning sent.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4" rough country and 2" spacers and a 3" body lift. Im happy with rough country, lifetime warranty. If you get a body lift, you can leave it on and do more suspension lifting, if you get a cheap and small suspension lift, you have to take it off and buy bigger instead of just adding to it.

If I were you, with a 2wd, id do a 3" body lift, spacer lift, rear explorer springs and 4wd lift block.

All for well under $300

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 4" rough country and 2" spacers and a 3" body lift. Im happy with rough country, lifetime warranty. If you get a body lift, you can leave it on and do more suspension lifting, if you get a cheap and small suspension lift, you have to take it off and buy bigger instead of just adding to it.

If I were you, with a 2wd, id do a 3" body lift, spacer lift, rear explorer springs and 4wd lift block.

All for well under $300
Plus my blood and sweat and maby some tears.:bawling: I think this is a good way to go on the cheap. Maby start with the BL and go from there, good piece of info for me thanks.:icon_thumby:

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice guys, I would never have known about the spacers. Sounds like a good idea.

My reason for doing a lift is because my little 2wd looks..... sad... so far to the ground. Right before winter started, when I got my winter tires I did look into different rims and tires to see if that would take some of the wimpy look away from my truck, and I did get slightly larger tires, but it still didn't do it for me.

I think I'll try the spacers first, I'll have lima take me shopping when I get back from my work trip to Seward, Alaska. If the spacers don't do it for me, I'll get super serious about looking for a decent lift.

I have seen a few lifts for sale on the Anchorage Craigslist (but I've kinda learned my lesson about craigslist.) (also my dad got scammed on CL and the cops showed up and all sorts of stuff, so yeah.... I'm a tid bit hesitent about buying online or on CL.)

Lima is off finding some parts off a F250 in the scraps yard today, I was gonna try and head over there today (which his shop is like... down the street) but He'll be busy and I gotta go to work.

Thanks Jim for cleaning it up in here. I have done research. Usually I can research something look at all the pretty pictures, but it understand how to do it better if I ask my questions first.

I can look at an engine and hear a problem and for the most part figure out what's wrong. But I'm also still learning. So far I've changed out an alternator in my own truck, tried to change my spark plugs, needed a little help cause I couldn't reach very well.

I've also helped clean pistons for a neon rebuild, and helped rebuild a carb for a 74 currier.

Just because I'm a girl and I know how to fix some things on an engine, doesn't mean I'm trying to over power you. ALL of my friends (with the exception of 2 girls) are guys. I grew up with trucks, snowmachines, motorcycles (I am a Hog Rally member.), I go fishing, I go hunting, I know how to use tools and power tools. (I even have my eye on a pink truck box for my tools since I don't have a garage of my own.)

Where I'm from I'm not considered as the girl that hangs with the guys, my friends just see me as Bro. It's what happens when you grow up in a small town with a redneck dad and a biker mom and one older brother.

So get your hands out of your pants, and chill out. I am a B***h and I know it. Get over it. I thought you guys were adults, start acting like adults!

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Here's Lilly. I forget what tires I have on her, I'll go out and look later on today. But the rims are all nasty, and she just looks... wimpy... my ex-boyfriend is a mechanic and he made me work with in a lot, so I'm used to working with import cars and old ford trucks. (we didn't have a garage or anything so we did all the work outside in the sun and in the cold and the rain.) So at first I didn't know whether I should drop it and make it more of a street truck, but I'd much rather have a trail rider that's still street legal.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking BL too. Thats probably all I'll do on the B2's plus some fender trimming. Keep the low COG.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking BL too. Thats probably all I'll do on the B2's plus some fender trimming. Keep the low COG.
You'll have to explain "BL" and "COG"

I think I forgot to say that I am gonna try and do some Baja fenders (my drivers side fender is slightly bent up from the previous owner getting in a fender bender).

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
body lift and center of gravity. the body lift doesn't raise the cog as much because all of the weight of the frame, axles, and running gear stays at the same height. this will make the truck feel more stable than a suspension lift, but doesn't provide any extra ground clearance, except what little bit taller tires provide

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Suspension lift doesnt give anymore ground clearance either. It just allows for bigger tires. Bodylifts allow for bigger tires also.

Usually with suspension lifts, you'll also upgrade shocks or leaves for a better ride.

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Suspension lift doesnt give anymore ground clearance either. It just allows for bigger tires. Bodylifts allow for bigger tires also.

Usually with suspension lifts, you'll also upgrade shocks or leaves for a better ride.
i stand corrected! sorry lol i was just thinking of frame to ground clearance. somehow i forgot about the axles still being there haha

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ugh...
What do you call the larger opening from the ground to your frame then?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the advice guys, I would never have known about the spacers. Sounds like a good idea.

My reason for doing a lift is because my little 2wd looks..... sad... so far to the ground. Right before winter started, when I got my winter tires I did look into different rims and tires to see if that would take some of the wimpy look away from my truck, and I did get slightly larger tires, but it still didn't do it for me.

I think I'll try the spacers first, I'll have lima take me shopping when I get back from my work trip to Seward, Alaska. If the spacers don't do it for me, I'll get super serious about looking for a decent lift.

I have seen a few lifts for sale on the Anchorage Craigslist (but I've kinda learned my lesson about craigslist.) (also my dad got scammed on CL and the cops showed up and all sorts of stuff, so yeah.... I'm a tid bit hesitent about buying online or on CL.)

Lima is off finding some parts off a F250 in the scraps yard today, I was gonna try and head over there today (which his shop is like... down the street) but He'll be busy and I gotta go to work.

Thanks Jim for cleaning it up in here. I have done research. Usually I can research something look at all the pretty pictures, but it understand how to do it better if I ask my questions first.

I can look at an engine and hear a problem and for the most part figure out what's wrong. But I'm also still learning. So far I've changed out an alternator in my own truck, tried to change my spark plugs, needed a little help cause I couldn't reach very well.

I've also helped clean pistons for a neon rebuild, and helped rebuild a carb for a 74 currier.

Just because I'm a girl and I know how to fix some things on an engine, doesn't mean I'm trying to over power you. ALL of my friends (with the exception of 2 girls) are guys. I grew up with trucks, snowmachines, motorcycles (I am a Hog Rally member.), I go fishing, I go hunting, I know how to use tools and power tools. (I even have my eye on a pink truck box for my tools since I don't have a garage of my own.)

Where I'm from I'm not considered as the girl that hangs with the guys, my friends just see me as Bro. It's what happens when you grow up in a small town with a redneck dad and a biker mom and one older brother.

So get your hands out of your pants, and chill out. I am a B***h and I know it. Get over it. I thought you guys were adults, start acting like adults!
We just stack washers and pop a weld on them for spacers and the bolts, forgot to tell you last time you were over I have an across the bed tool box you can have that came on Lima you just have to wire wheel it off then prime and paint it. :icon_thumby:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not trying to start a debate.

Yes it gives more ground to frame clearance. But your axles are still down there and the only way to get more is bigger tires. One again the bigger the tire you would have more frame clearance too.

It all depends on your need. How big of tires are you wanting to run?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not trying to start a debate.

Yes it gives more ground to frame clearance. But your axles are still down there and the only way to get more is bigger tires. One again the bigger the tire you would have more frame clearance too.

It all depends on your need. How big of tires are you wanting to run?
Not starting a debate either but..... there are ways of getting around axle clearance, when you actually offroad. No way to get around a low break over angle. And that's why people use both lift kits and big tires. I had just a body lift and leveling coils for the longest time, but there is no comparison with a 6" suspension installed. With just a body lift and leveling coils I was getting hung up everywhere and laying frame on a ton of obsticles, and that's with 33's. Of course tires help give clearance To the diffs, but that's not nearly as helpful offroad. Plus it takes 2" of a bigger tire per 1" of frame height. But bigger tires also help roll over crap. Its different if you're talking about running 40" tires with a 2" lift, than 33's and a 6" lift.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not starting a debate either but..... there are ways of getting around axle clearance, when you actually offroad. No way to get around a low break over angle.
It depends on how you offroad too, the only times I have gotten stuck was when I got hung up on my lovely flat TTB front axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals