• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to get a new differential

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a new 2021 FWD ranger 2 years ago. I assumed it would be good in the snow like my previous rangers. After trying Blizzaks and weight in the back, it's OK in the slush, snow and ice. Nothing compared to my stock 2004 ranger for sure. Anyway, after much digging, I believe I have an open differential. Not sure why someone would want that in a pickup, but here I am because I did not buy the optional locking rear diff.

I think I want a limited slip diff over a locking diff. I know my axle code is 71. I saw a post that says this is an open diff with 3.73:1 ratio. Does anyone know the spline count and how many inches the axle is? All the charts I'm finding are for older rangers.

I'm also looking for recommendations on what diff to get. My primary concern is highway snow, slush and ice.

Thanks!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Your best bet would probably be to buy a complete axle from ford, necessary wiring/button, and unlock the locking diff feature in the computer via forscan.

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet would probably be to buy a complete axle from ford, necessary wiring/button, and unlock the locking diff feature in the computer via forscan.
assuming I could figure all that out, would disabling that unlock/lock feature turn it into a limited slip or am I missing your point?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The difficulty is how integrated the electronics are in the 2019+ Rangers. You may need to swap out the center console or at least the button panel portion of it to have the button for the locker. Typically, the manufacturers use the same wire harness for everything as much as they can to simplify the supply stream. So, you should have the core wiring and connections on the vehicle. It’s just a matter of getting the rest of the components to get the locker to work.

What Blmkn was saying is you may need to enable the locking differential feature within the software of the vehicle. Either the dealership would have to do that or someone one with the Forescan program and the wire interface from a computer to the OBD port on the truck.

The rest would be finding and axle, either new or used and the wire harness that runs from wherever the harness ends in or under the cab to the connection in the differential for the locker.

The Rangers have been around long enough now that you may be able to find an axle from a wrecked Ranger to install in your truck. Other than the wiring and the switches, the axle should go right in.

There is also some lights and functionality in the instrument panel but I suspect it is already there and just needs the hardware and perhaps some software changes to make it all go live.

You may be able to get the buttons or the center console from the same wrecked vehicle along with the necessary wiring from the cab to the axle.

The new Ranger is a different animal than the old ones. So this is all assuming it is all possible to do. You may need to talk to the maintenance department and perhaps a body shop or two before you spend the money. The 2019+ Ranger is new enough that there is a lot of unexplored territory yet. So, you may be the test subject on how do able it really is and what all needs to be done to get it working.

Unfortunately, trucks coming with open differentials instead of a locker or a limited slip is still a thing. And I don’t even know if anyone makes a limited slip for it. Since I do have a rear locker, I never looked and no one has mentioned there being one available from what I recall either on this forum or on the facebook pages.

Perhaps someone has on the Ranger 5G or Ranger 6G forums? Not to turn you away. Just giving you possible information sources that might help.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Buvoir, man, you got a lot to think about there but I'm sure with all the good help you can find here you will sort it out soon enough
I just wanted to say welcome to TRS, and good luck with it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2019-2023 Ranger could be purchased with Electric locking rear axles not a Limited Slip
Used they go for $1,500-$2,000 at car-part.com
I think all were 3.73 ratio

I suppose you could just add a dash switch and relay to activate and deactivate the locking
Wouldn't be part of traction control system like a factory install

But other differential makers may have just the locker guts that can be swapped out by now

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Buvoir, man, you got a lot to think about there but I'm sure with all the good help you can find here you will sort it out soon enough
I just wanted to say welcome to TRS, and good luck with it
thanks, first I'm just trying to get the specs for this 71 axle code so I can begin to look for a limited slip diff

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
thanks, first I'm just trying to get the specs for this 71 axle code so I can begin to look for a limited slip diff
As far as I know, no one makes a limited-slip but the Jeep Gladiator uses the same rear axle so you might find something from the Heep suppliers that will work.
ARB makes locking rear and front diffs for us that would probably be an easier install than getting the factory stuff to work but you have to get a 3.73 gearset for the Gladiator (per ARB's website) because the ring gear is welded to the carrier.
My main reason for having 4wd is to get around in the snow and I think a limited-slip is better for that than a locker. We rarely get as much snow as you do but it's also very hilly here. I used to drive through Rochester, NY quite a bit so I feel your pain. Got out of there just in time before the blizzard in 2008.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you adapt a Ford E locker in there you'll have to really pay attention- the factory setup disengages at 25 mph. With a switch operated locker, if you forget to unlock it it will get hairy on turns or something will break. I ordered limited slip on my 2004 Ranger and deliberately omitted it from my 2011. Too much throttle on snow with an open rear will spin one tire, with limited slip the rear will slide around.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 73 Econoline had a terrible way with being stuck in the muck. I hadn't had it a month and backed into a spot on a lake to look around. It was almost flat but just a wee bit damp and when I went to leave it wouldn't move an inch. It was so silly stuck in a thin layer of damp clay, and had absolutely nothing in back, I slammed the door and it busted my window :/

It was a one ton with a C-6 and a 300/6 and could pull anything long as I had traction

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
There are no limited slip options available for a 19+ truck.. its either open, air locker, or e locker.

Ron has a good point.. probably don't need the entire diff specific wiring harness and the oe dash button.. the factory locking axle could likely be put on a diy switch no problem.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
My previous truck was a 2008 Sport Trac with a similar 4wd system, open axles and traction control, no limited-slip or locker was available. Normally in snow I'd lock it in 4-hi and turn the traction control off because the way it threw you around was annoying and unpredictable and when you're in the deep stuff the TC shuts the whole thing down. Problem is then you have two open axles and where OP lives you get deep stuff all the time. Apart from the expense of installing a locker, all I got is try more aggressive tires. Blizzaks are usually the sh*t, they're what I put on my wife's minivan, but IMO they're good on snow packed roads but not so much in the deep stuff. General Grabber AP's finished first in a snow test a few years ago in one of the 4wd magazines. Like I said, I've spent a lot of time where OP lives and it's a place where you measure the snow in feet not inches.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I've always ran Firestone winterforces on my rwd stuff during winter, between snow tires and a couple hundred pounds in the bed/trunk I never had any problems getting to where I needed to be.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I've always ran Firestone winterforces on my rwd stuff during winter, between snow tires and a couple hundred pounds in the bed/trunk I never had any problems getting to where I needed to be.
Jeep TJ I bought for my daughter years ago came with those. They worked real well.

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks everyone for the brainstorms and information. I really appreciate it as this is rather important to me. I've been buying sets of tires and playing with sandbags for 2 winters now. (to recap, i have blizzaks)

I'm aware of the 25 mph limit on the ford locker. Maybe I'm asking something wrong. I know my axle code is 71 and the ratio is 3.73, but don't i have to know the spline count and length (like 7.5 or 8.8) before I start to look for the elusive limited slip or maybe an after market locker?

Can you pull a limited slip from a 1998 to 2012?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals