• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to get a new differential

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
thanks everyone for the brainstorms and information. I really appreciate it as this is rather important to me. I've been buying sets of tires and playing with sandbags for 2 winters now. (to recap, i have blizzaks)

I'm aware of the 25 mph limit on the ford locker. Maybe I'm asking something wrong. I know my axle code is 71 and the ratio is 3.73, but don't i have to know the spline count and length (like 7.5 or 8.8) before I start to look for the elusive limited slip or maybe an after market locker?

Can you pull a limited slip from a 1998 to 2012?
No go on the older axles, these are relatively brand new axles in the 19+ trucks.

The carrier you're looking for is to fit a dana m220. Unsure spline count.. I've heard rumors that the spline count differs between the locker and non-locker rear ends.. no confirmation though.

Like somebody else already said as well.. the gladiator uses the "same" axle.. so there's a non-zero chance that an lsd carrier from one of those might work in a Ranger.. expensive parts to be playing guiney pig with though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
thanks everyone for the brainstorms and information. I really appreciate it as this is rather important to me. I've been buying sets of tires and playing with sandbags for 2 winters now. (to recap, i have blizzaks)

I'm aware of the 25 mph limit on the ford locker. Maybe I'm asking something wrong. I know my axle code is 71 and the ratio is 3.73, but don't i have to know the spline count and length (like 7.5 or 8.8) before I start to look for the elusive limited slip or maybe an after market locker?

Can you pull a limited slip from a 1998 to 2012?
The axles on the old Rangers and the current Rangers are completely different. Jim had posted up some information about the new Rangers, including the axles when the Ranger first came out. If I remember correctly, the rear axle is a Dana M220.

According to Randy’s Ring and Pinion, the axle shafts are 32 spline. The ring gear is 8.66”. I just learned something. The model name/number of the axle represents the ring gear size in millimeters.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
You can always have a competent shop install an E-locker.

CMOS

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
You can always have a competent shop install an E-locker.

CMOS
Seems like a true locker is a last resort for the OP.

That... and cost wise... if a locker is what hes gonna end up with than buying a complete axle direct from ford would ultimately be the cheaper route to take. Most aftermarket lockers are 1000$+, then add in the cost of a set of gears 400$, master install kit 300$, labor 1000$+... I'm too tired to do math right now but I'm sure my point has been made.

Buy new axle, diy install, sell old axle to recoup large amount of cost.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
He doesn't need new gears. Only the carrier will change. The ring and pinion will be reused, right?

CMOS

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
He doesn't need new gears. Only the carrier will change. The ring and pinion will be reused, right?

CMOS
Open rear 19+ trucks have the ring gear welded to the carrier

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Open rear 19+ trucks have the ring gear welded to the carrier
Correct. That's why ARB's instructions say to get a 3.73 ring and pinion for a Heep Gladiator to install the ARB locker.

buvoir

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
while I was at work, I was thinking a locker is kinda where I should be headed. I looked at detroit lockers. I'm sorry, I don't know these terms like ring gear and carrier. I just know where the diff is housed and my axle type is 71 lol. You guys told me that means it is 3.73 gear ratio, a Dana m220, 32 spline and the ring gear is 8.66. I dunno what kind of shops around here can do it right. Man 2 years of stress because I didn't realize this generation of Ranger left out the LS. Why oh why did you do that, ford

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Absolutely Buvoir, It's got me wondering if a 2wd and a limited slip go together? my 73 Econoline could get stuck in a wet spot, till I learned how to keep it loaded, and I still wound up in some bad situations. It was an E300 "Super Van" according to the plate on the rear door

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
while I was at work, I was thinking a locker is kinda where I should be headed. I looked at detroit lockers. I'm sorry, I don't know these terms like ring gear and carrier. I just know where the diff is housed and my axle type is 71 lol. You guys told me that means it is 3.73 gear ratio, a Dana m220, 32 spline and the ring gear is 8.66. I dunno what kind of shops around here can do it right. Man 2 years of stress because I didn't realize this generation of Ranger left out the LS. Why oh why did you do that, ford
TBH you would get a decent chunk of change for your '21 on trade. I would think about simply ordering a '24 with a locker.
Paths of least resistance:
1. Trade it on a '24 with a locker.
2. Install an ARB locker with the new ring and pinion.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

The carrier IS the rear end. It's more or less the heart inside the rear axle, right now you have an open carrier... and you're wanting either a locking or limited slip carrier.

The ring gear is the bigger gear in the rear axle attached to the carrier, it's the gear that when spun.. turns the carrier/axles/wheels. The ring gear gets spun off of the pinion gear.. which is more or less attached to the end of the driveshaft.

That... and cost wise... if a locker is what hes gonna end up with than buying a complete axle direct from ford would ultimately be the cheaper route to take. Most aftermarket lockers are 1000$+, then add in the cost of a set of gears 400$, master install kit 300$, labor 1000$+... I'm too tired to do math right now but I'm sure my point has been made.

Buy new axle, diy install, sell old axle to recoup large amount of cost.

I'll quote myself... this is the camp I'm firmly in. The cost of having either a locker OR a limited slip (if even available) installed is going to be AT LEAST the same $$$ if not MORE than just buying a new axle from ford...

Swapping an axle out is easy peasy..

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Locking rear axle was ~$400 option - if you don't need it, it's money in your pocket.

I'm almost in @Blmpkn 's camp - I just wouldn't buy a brand new axle: From car-part.com - there is a locking differential in Webster, NY for ~$1,650. (There are some cheaper ones on other side of Lake Ontario if you want to go for a little drive). You won't get the parts for that, and definitely not new axle from Ford.

An axle swap is an afternoon job and can be done in parking lot. Couple jack stands, jack <you can use the one Ford supplies>, 1/2" long bar, couple sockets (u-bolts, driveshaft, maybe calipers) <I'd just unbolt calipers/unclip the brake lines from existing axle and clip/bolt to replacement so I didn't have to worry about bleeding brakes>, pack of beverages and a buddy or two (axle will be >150lbs, so much easier with extra couple hands.

With locker axle in the truck, you can sort out the wiring*/switch/computer programming at your leisure. (Alternately, you can sort out the wiring while you hunt for the axle and have everything ready to bolt in)

*With the better planning systems in place now, Ford can create more specific harnesses with only required wires/connectors.
Even in our older Rangers you had to add wires for power windows/locks/mirrors to doors and dash and swap the GEM. At least in F150s, most missing options can be added to the computer(s) with Forscan. <In some cases, you need to replace module to reprogram.>​
Limited slip/lockers are going to be rare for the Ranger - 99% of the market is met by OEM axles; Aftermarket stereos are going same way - replacing the OEM infotainment system just doesn't happen.

If OP is lucky, he'd be able to sell his existing axle and recoup some of his expenses.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
Good info to know guys...

CMOS

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I suspect one reason limited-slips and lockers have become rare in newer stuff is that they potentially interfere with the traction control system. Look into this angle before you spend money on any changes.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I suspect one reason limited-slips and lockers have become rare in newer stuff is that they potentially interfere with the traction control system. Look into this angle before you spend money on any changes.
Rare? Probably half the ford lineup has either a locker or lsd standard or as an option 😋 I'd say lockers are way more common now even.. bunch of crap can even come from the factory with a front locker nowadays.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals