• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello JoshT.. This is a good one I just finished. I wrapped the front if the vent with two strips of newspaper and the squeezed it tight. I was able to spray between walls and vent real easy. No risk in breaking it. I got a Metallic Silver marker at Hobby Lobby.
IMG_2471.jpeg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello JoshT. I got my Silver marker from Hobby Lobby. Awsome-O found some chrome ones on Amazon.

I just posted on my thread with one vent done, and a way of not breaking them. Pictures got out of order but hope it shows a good way of doing it.
I saw your pics. The finish looks like the typical silver paint pen. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like a more chrome like finish.

I was wondering how the ones that Awsome-O posted worked. I've seen the claimed finish of the chrome pens like he posted, but have always wondered if they lived up to those claims. Was hoping that he might share a pic for all our sake. This is the only chance I've had to ask about results that was a similar use case and likely to be real results.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You got a pic of the results? I've been trying to figure out a nice chrome marker to do the same when I start into the 85 Ranger.
There are some pics in my thread. I’ll try and get into the shop tomorrow and take some close ups. There is nothing out there that matches chrome perfectly as a paint except futurechrome painted products.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are some pics in my thread. I’ll try and get into the shop tomorrow and take some close ups. There is nothing out there that matches chrome perfectly as a paint except futurechrome painted products.
Ok, I'll pick this up in your thread. Will say I'm not expecting a morror chrome like finish, just want a better match for the factory trim than the silver paint pens I've used.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello JoshT.. That one is silver. I ordered Chrome that Awesome-O posted. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to the results as I am getting ready to start on my trim.

Thanks Awsome-O...I got those markers on order. Will look so much better then silver and my trim needs some help.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2478.jpeg

I could not handle wind noise on driver side after replacing passenger side window seal. Drivers side done and door now has sound deadner in it. While at bone yard the truck had one new tail light so grabbed it as I will replace all plastic light covers new at a later time. Also I did get a wheel center cap. I think I will remove flaking and just paint it.
IMG_2479.jpeg

I did remove the rust from passenger front wheel. I need to remove drivers side and get around the lug nuts.
IMG_2480.jpeg

Here I am pinching the back of the paper and prepping for paint. I ordered a chrome marker pin from Amazon and hope it matches I bezel as well it has several scratches and just looks dirty.
IMG_2481.jpeg

Here they are done. My chrome marker should be at house tomorrow. Just need trim painted in chrome. Also will be staring on other trim as well.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2475.jpeg

Im not a 4 door fan but this is 74 or newer by the bumper. It was at boneyard. I think they are going to sell it complete.
IMG_2474.jpeg

Even interior was in great shape for its age. Wish I could find other cars for its age and condition.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2490.jpeg

I have read that the 87 Throttle Body is larger. I have an 87 motor on an engine stand I need to put into my Bronco2.
IMG_2487.jpeg

86 measures 2.081 87 measures 2.364. After I get a new TPS sensor for it, I will try swapping and see if there is a difference. I have read that it is an upgrade.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2500.jpeg

I went a head a primed the front fenders just to make the truck look better.
IMG_2499.jpeg

Something I wish I had known years ago. My side marker lights were burnt out. $7.99 for a 2 pack. If you ask for the 10 pack it was
$8.49. Go figure.
IMG_2498.jpeg

I was looking around and found I have two other Intakes. One is 87 and one is 88. I ordered a TPS for the spare 87 and see if it is an improvement.

I dont know what happened to picture and explantion but I dont know how to fix it. Hope information still might be some help.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2495.jpeg

Don’t think I have posted a picture of my 88 Bronco2. I am seeing how hard to replace Evaporator.
IMG_2496.jpeg

Another future repair is replacing the body bushings and started presoaking all the body bolts.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2493.jpeg

To get access to Eveporator remove the Inner fender. I think three 10 millimeter bolts hold the assembly to the fire wall.
IMG_2497.jpeg

While looking at the Evaporator and cleaning the debris out of it I cleaned and painted underneath.
IMG_2494.jpeg

This is a spare cab I have. Debris comes thru cowl and can end up in blower box assembly. Earlier in my thread I show all the debris in my blower. Keeping the cowl cleaned out keeps it out of blower and prevents rot in the cowl and leaking inside.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yesterday I got my two front tires replaced and an alighnment. That also got the steering wheel in correct position. Basically 3 improvements done to the truck. It drives so much better with all new tires and alignment. My front end just needed a tie rod. So I am considering my steering and suspension system done. Wahoo!!! Did some more cleaning and painting of the frame.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I could be reading wrong, and you've probably moved past this point already, but it sounds like you were removing the HVAC plenum from the firewall. Been a long while since I looked at a first gen plenum, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to pull the entire plenum to pull the evaporator. Should be a door on the engine side of the plenum you can remove and it will come out.

Hello JoshT.. Post a picture of your 68 F-100 on here. I always thought the several years of all Ford trucks look great. I plan on finishing this truck and my 87 and my big truck will be a 73-79 with 76-77 grill.
I'm going to work on getting a thread going in the appropriate subforum, My 68 F-100, but it'll be a bit before I get to more current pictures. Here's a link to one I posted not long ago at another member's request.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello JoahT…. I was thinking the whole assembly came out. I hope to be doing the AC system in a couple of more weeks. With the motor in it took some work getting it out. I did get some more debris out.

Great F100 you are starting on. I agree, one project at a time. Just not enough time and money to work on several projects.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2506.jpeg

I swapped an 87 Throttle Body in place of my 88 Throttle Body. Can’t really tell any big difference If anything it may helped on the
bottom end .
IMG_2505.jpeg

Ford used two different styles of TPS. This is the offset where my pointer finger is.
IMG_2502.jpeg

This has the center tab. At first, I did not know what parts guy was talking about when ordering the part.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals