• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2329.jpeg

Hello Alway FLOoRed.
The Stud Welder I got from Harbor Freight. About 5 years ago it was around $75. Now you can buy the same thing with a Dent Puller
IMG_2331.jpeg

The Dent Puller was around $30. The locking tab for the studs I always have to tap in and can create the dent again. I welded a pair of vice grips and I think it works better. I have also my dent puller to pull bearings, and one time I grabbed on to a lug nut stud to pull an axle. Really a versatile tool.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2335.jpeg

I thought I had some tires out of balance. Went to have them balanced and they are cupped and just really thin. I was not exactly ready to do tires and rims. Just replaced the back two tires
IMG_2336.jpeg

I want to eventually do 31 inch tires. These look like pizza cutters to me but will work. I need front tires but Steering is shot. Ordering complete kit to rebuild then replace front tires.
IMG_2337.jpeg

I did get my Front Wheel Bearings replaced. My Dust Shields are rusted up. They are off for time being but will order and replaced them. They bolt in without removing wheel hub.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Going to work This week truck just would not run high rpm. All said and done it was weak Fuel Pump in the tank. Old Fuel Pump would read 1/4 or less on Fuel Gauge. Now with new Fuel Pump Fuel Gauge reads Full all the time. Probably a ground issue. Truck bed is coming off so I can do body work on cab and look at Fuel issue. Zip tie the tail lights to bumper so I can still drive to work.

It was costly this week end. $100 for Fuel Pump, $127 for Wheel Bearings and $260 for rear tires. It is eventually getting better though.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool deal man

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Josh B. I am slowly making progress.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2339.jpeg

These are just measurements so when I two tone it again. I did wrap tape measure to bottom
IMG_2340.jpeg

The bed is from an 89 or newer truck. 88 the stripe goes over wheel well. 89 it is just on the bottom and not over wheel well. I will see which I like better when I paint it.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2343.jpeg

Starting to get rust off of roof and in primer. So far just 5 hail dings
IMG_2345.jpeg

Got rust killer on minor rust. I have the whole Steering Assembly on order except Pitman Arm. I will need to do an alighment and still get front tires.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2344.jpeg

Danny 74. I got it cut out today and will get it in the mail in the morning.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2347.jpeg

I got the rust killer off and just letting the fumes from primer clear out of the shop. Once primer dries I will fill dents in roof and start back on some other dents in bed rails and doors.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Now you've done it . . .

. . . you've RUINED that beautiful patina!

Just kidding; you're making great progress. Carry on! :headbang:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks RobbieD. Yea the patina is disappearing. I’m actually a purist. I had it my way they would all look brand new. Since this truck was a rough truck, I really don’t mind doing a few twist with it. It has newer door panels and might get a slightly different paint job. It’s an 88 but could have the newer paint patterns.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2348.jpeg

I actually lucked out. Only 5 hail dings on top. On dents that are too small to pull, I like to use a razor blade as a bondo spreader. Saves a lot of sanding without adding so much bondo
IMG_2349.jpeg

I got some interior paint from LMR. I ran out when painting the dash. I am going to put another coat of paint on the dash.
When I have the funds I buy parts and materials. When piggy bank says no more funds, I have plenty of bondo and sand paper that keeps me going. So my build will jump back and forth between body work, interior, and mechanical.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2352.jpeg

It may not look like it but the wheel wells had several dents. I am not sure if I want to paint bed to body color or spray in bed liner. Truck will get light use and bed will get some body work
IMG_2351.jpeg

Here is after hammer work. A lot smoother. I won’t be working on truck until Wednesday but all and all am happy with what I got done thus weekend. Fuel Pump, Rear Tires, Front Wheel Bearings and some Roof in better shape. I have done 80 grit then 180 grit. Still need to do the 320 grit but truck is getting smoother. Next weekend I hope to have Steering Rebuilt,Alighnment and Front tires.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot I had the day off as wife had an overnight procedure at hospital tonight. Nothing serious so I get some more time off for the truck.
IMG_2355.jpeg

Been working on several other areas. I did start Long Blocking. I should have found this dent at my finger. Long Blocking won’t lie to you. It shows issues. All Manual labor but does a great job
IMG_2356.jpeg

2 spots Long Blocking found for me.
IMG_2354.jpeg

Long Blocking bed rails. I will use more primer then normal. This is my daily driver as my other truck needs work. When I paint most of this will need sanded off as it will be contaminated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals