• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My AR Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that was before i dressed it. i could be wrong about him, but he didnt feel like much.

edit-went and found a pic of him, he may have been closer to 140. IDK

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel ya on the 6.8SPC, but you can get .243 in an AR platform. I don't know if anyone makes an off the shelf upper for it, but the components do exist to build it. I've personally just skipped right over those when looking cause I have a Remington 788 in that caliber for a hunting rifle.
That comes as an AR-10 which is pretty much the same price as a .308. They are also pretty heavy for what they are too. They didn't really strike me as much of a hunting rifle.

I got all excited about the 6.8 when I first heard about it, priced one out every way I could think of and got a new Ruger 30-06 bolt action for about half the price of an upper. :D Ammo is cheaper too... nice try but nobody really seems to be getting behind it.

For the most part Iowa is anti-rifle for deer hunting altogether. Muzzleloader, archery and shotgun are the major options. For the bottom two rows of counties they do have an antlerless .24+ rifle season in January.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a buddy that built a 6.8 AR, he spent out the ass for it too, he claims $2500. way more than i'd ever throw at a gun (at least for right now lol). the ammo is too damn expensive too. from what i've seen it's at least $1 a bullet and sometimes more. and that's just regular factory ammo. i can buy match grade .308 for my 700P for that price.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A year ago I had it priced out at about $800 for a gun I assemble or a tad over a grand for a Stag rifle out of the box. Of course you can spend as much as you want...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
true, i couldnt tell you what manufacturer(s) he went with, seems like it has a larue tactical upper, but i dont remember. that price includes a EOtech sight as well, so that accounts for $500-$600.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I should probably stop following this thread.... making me want to try my hand at building one for the fun of it....

BTW, it's looking good, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the finished product!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i know what you mean. it's really easy if you do decide to do it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
decided to build the upper myself. i'll have my smith check the headpace once assembled. just ordered a palmetto state armory blemished stripped upper, dust cover kit, charging handle, gas tube and a YHM low pro gas block. gonna order the barrel on friday when i get paid, then start saving for a BCG and quad rail of some sort. i'll get a muzzle brake eventually too.

since it's blemished, i'm planning to duracoat the upper and lower, that way they'll match too.

i also found an adapter to change 1/2x28 threads to 5/8x24 threads. that way i can use my suppressor for my .308 on my AR as well. NC is changing gun laws around and you'll be able to hunt with a suppressor next year.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I suggest you look into "midwest industries" for the handguard, they make great stuff. I have the gen 2ss 15 inch and love it

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm eyeballing this one....it'll just take me a little bit longer to save for it. we'll see what i can find. good news is, i just realized i get paid 3 times this month, so i'll have more money than i was planning for.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm eyeballing this one....it'll just take me a little bit longer to save for it. we'll see what i can find. good news is, i just realized i get paid 3 times this month, so i'll have more money than i was planning for.
Yeah Midwest Industries has one just like that one, I don't know the price difference. My buddy has one on his rifle it's awesome. Mine is the green one, Hahns is the black one.

Attachments

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
looks like a 15 incher? those get pricey. i was thinking of going with a 12

just ordered the barrel and a gas tube roll pin and a generic muzzle brake to start.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
found a decent rail today and ordered it. $50 with free shipping. it'll do for now.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah both of our are 15 inch, just like the look a little better.

Can't beat 50 bucks though.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i agree, i like yalls....but i like the 12 inch look too, figured i'd try 12 first, then if i dont like it i can save up and get a nicer one in 15. if i like the 12, i can still save up and get a nicer 12. by the time i replace everything, i'll be able to build a second one lol.

btw, found a good deal on a BCG, $120 shipped. says it's mil-spec, staked gas key, etc.....has good reviews too. we'll see what happens. should have this thing about assembled in a week or two. just need a forward assist kit.

i took apart the lower again, gonna duracoat everything as soon as my stripped upper gets here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals