• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Alternator Problems

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Switching pulleys is a common occurrence.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
there was probably something wrong with the wiring all along this adventure you've been on.

The Alternator is listed for the vehicle. The pulley is usually the secondary requirement, "they" don't always get it right, and I think you mentioned earlier that your vehicle is a crossover/ between year model which could be why it came the way it did,

I've had alternators for my Pontiacs come through with the wrong Serpentine pulley, they're pretty easy to change with a impact driver, near impossible without.

Last edited:

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again. This helps me in more ways than you know.

Now about them messing with my screw. :)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You feel like you're getting ripped betrayed, taken for a ride because you don't have the knowledge.

the catch with knowledge is you become like me and try know all there is to know. then you can't find anybody to work for you because they're absolutely are sure they know more than you and how dare you question or second-guess what they're doing, so it's a double-edged sword good and bad, or bad and good.

seems like the charging system problems are settled.

Good luck with your transmission, you may be in another "Journey" I'm sure. I'm totally negative about automatic transmissions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as Denisefwd93 has said, the pulleys around your year, 1990, were being change from V-belt to serpentine, so not at all unusually to have to swap pulleys on a new alternator.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again to everyone for your time, parience, kindness, suggestions, answers,education and help. Shavings and chunks in tranny pan. Transmission is gone and tranny guy started the re-build yesterday.

Hopefully the end to this particular saga and back on the road next week. I love my Bronco II. Next stop is getting the leaf springs re-done or new ones and then the grand finalee>>The cassette player has to go even though it is a Alpine with good sound. :yahoo:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Glad you figured it out. It stinks that the tranny needs a rebuild.

Now, about that cassette player. Gonna replace it with an 8-track tape player?

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That vintage Bronco has a AL4D? My heart goes out to you...

I was really impressed how easy it is to take a Ford radio out of the dash with the bent wire tool

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again to everyone for your time, parience, kindness, suggestions, answers,education and help. Shavings and chunks in tranny pan. Transmission is gone and tranny guy started the re-build yesterday.

Hopefully the end to this particular saga and back on the road next week. I love my Bronco II. Next stop is getting the leaf springs re-done or new ones and then the grand finalee>>The cassette player has to go even though it is a Alpine with good sound. :yahoo:
I'm happy your alternator issue is sorted out. I had my trans rebuilt recently, it wasn't cheap but it I really like my BII.

I think SD truck springs and LMC Truck sell replacement leaf springs.

Lots of good radio options, go to Crutchfield and they will tell you all that you need to do the install.

Four years ago I bought one for $99 that does usb, bluetooth, cd, am/fm some streaming apps and hands free phone. They must have only gotten better since then.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Glad you figured it out. It stinks that the tranny needs a rebuild.

Now, about that cassette player. Gonna replace it with an 8-track tape player?

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
You are funny. You put in a 8 track? Going USB and hands free phone, and I wonder if they still do iPod 3rd gen plugin. Don't stream music on phone due to wonky phone reception in these hills. Tranny was a mess and hopefully will get some miles with rebuild. Thanks.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That vintage Bronco has a AL4D? My heart goes out to you...

I was really impressed how easy it is to take a Ford radio out of the dash with the bent wire tool
A4ld but guy rebuilding says he is putting in the "upgrades". I think I am supposed to feel better. He changed flywheel as well. No fun for me for awhile unless it is while driving my Bronco Bella listening to cassettes.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm happy your alternator issue is sorted out. I had my trans rebuilt recently, it wasn't cheap but it I really like my BII.

I think SD truck springs and LMC Truck sell replacement leaf springs.

Lots of good radio options, go to Crutchfield and they will tell you all that you need to do the install.

Four years ago I bought one for $99 that does usb, bluetooth, cd, am/fm some streaming apps and hands free phone. They must have only gotten better since then.
Oh I know that feeling of crazy BR II love. I have a donor BR II with 150,000miles and was wondering if the springs on that one could be switched out without the strength of Paul Bunyan and professional tools.

Thanks for the places to research.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A4ld but guy rebuilding says he is putting in the "upgrades". I think I am supposed to feel better. He changed flywheel as well. No fun for me for awhile unless it is while driving my Bronco Bella listening to cassettes.
It's good that they are doing the upgrades, it will make it last longer. As I understand it they fix things that were not so good and put in the improvements designed for 4.0 engine. Disclaimer, transmissions are not my area of expertise :)

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Par for course....tranny was installed and car won't start. Charge system is reading good but he said it is not getting gas. Told him to bypass inertia(sp) switch and that did not do it. He checked dues and ECU fuse was blown. All fuses were good when I checked them after 2nd bad alternator. He put in new fuse and still will not start. He is going to check fuel pump in tank. Never had any hesitatation with that car starting before. Grrrrrr....going to take up drinking hard stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals